Disappointed with AT&T variant?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My 'fat heavy' 920 looks better everyday because it has ALL the features and not piecemeal crap that ever variant since has eeked out.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Dear Microsoft,

As soon as your acquisition of the Nokia Mobile Division is complete would you please offer a line of Surface Phones that parallel the current Nokia offerings but are unlocked and unbranded? The Surface line of phones should be the original configurations of its sister Nokia devices. They should be sold directly to the public and updates should be OTA, bypassing carriers and their interference.

I feel that far too many of your current Window Phone customers are sick and tired of carriers omitting and/or crippling functions that phones are manufactured with. Data Sense, Internet Sharing, downgraded memory, lost of wireless charging ability are examples of how customers are kept from enjoying devices as they were meant to be enjoyed.

I for one can tell you that if you were to adopt this philosophy I would be one of the first standing in line with my credit card to purchase a Microsoft Surface phone.

Sincerely,

A current customer and fan.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The reality is, people on this very forum were aghast at the $299 price of the 1020, asking them to pay more for a device, even unlocked, won't see a lot of takers, and especially not among the average consumer, which ultimately makes it unlikely to happen. Nice idea though. :)

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
In the US, the majority of us are on contract plans with ATT or Verizon, and paying for unlocked phones makes no sense, since we'd be paying effectively paying for 2 phones. On the other hand, if they pull a Google strategy and offer the phones for $299-$399 with 0 profit for themselves, it makes more sense since the cost isnt much more. But Microsoft is profit driven, look at the Surface 2. If they wanted to drive adoption, they could have sold it for less, but they don't. Some of this is probably to not alienate their partners, especially undercutting Nokia's phones would just take sales away from Nokia. So I think they need to either turn Nokia Lumia's in to their surface line, or just sell the Nokia's unlocked. They have an opportunity with windows phone since Samsung and HTC have all abandoned the platform.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In the US, the majority of us are on contract plans with ATT or Verizon, and paying for unlocked phones makes no sense, since we'd be paying effectively paying for 2 phones. On the other hand, if they pull a Google strategy and offer the phones for $299-$399 with 0 profit for themselves...

On the third hand, they could just straight sell phones for a normal, no gimmicks, full price to T-Mobile customers who in that case don't have to pay for 2 phones and are still saving money compared to AT&T or Verizon "subsidies".

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
On the third hand, they could just straight sell phones for a normal, no gimmicks, full price to T-Mobile customers who in that case don't have to pay for 2 phones and are still saving money compared to AT&T or Verizon "subsidies".

Isn't the Nokia Lumia 925, 521, htc 8x, and lumia 810 all sold full price/no gimmicks at T-Mobile? But you're saying they should offer the ENTIRE Lumia line up to T-mobile users?

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But you're saying they should offer the ENTIRE Lumia line up to T-mobile users?

Yeah, they should. Why exactly not?

BTW, I would have bought a 925 despite the gimped storage but couldn't get over that out of 3 colors that Nokia makes it in, the only one available on T-Mo is the only one I don't like: white. The COLOR black is fracking exclusive to AT&T slime. The stupidity was just too much...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, they should. Why exactly not?

BTW, I would have bought a 925 despite the gimped storage but couldn't get over that out of 3 colors that Nokia makes it in, the only one available on T-Mo is the only one I don't like: white. The COLOR black is fracking exclusive to AT&T slime. The stupidity was just too much...

Yea, I get it, the black on the 925 is suuuper sleek. That is too bad. But what about amazon? You can buy all the unlocked phones from there. Including the Lumia 925 unlocked in dark grey.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I do have to admit that I am disappointed. Mainly because I see storage cut in half. I will use the cloud extensively as I already do, but it would have been nice to see that the phone storage allows room to grow my application selection. On the other hand I have to admit, that much space on my phone is wasted on apps I downloaded, used and forgot about after a while. So I will probably be able to deal with 16GB. Wireless charging is second nature for me, but I can deal without. maybe the flip cover will eventually have wireless charging integrated and then I am back in the game, since I planned on getting this cover anyway. I will get the 1520, because the 6 inch screen will enable me to use my sharepoint forms in a much more effective way and this is really what I am looking for in this phone. My disappointment is less with the actual phone, but with the way AT&T just makes the decision about what we as customers get knowing that there is better out there.... Well, it is what it is and I will not be able to change it. There is also the option of getting the international version and I really thought about it, but after all, the price tag is at a point where I don't believe I will spend that much money, knowing that phones evolve fast and that in a year or two there will likely be a new device fitting my needs even better...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed, but not as much as some of you. I currently have a 520, which I still consider an upgrade from my 900. So 16 GB is positively huge to my current 8 GB. And I haven't already invested into wireless charging, so that is a non-issue for me. Granted, I wouldn't turn down a 32 GB, Qi charging included model. :)

Khalid Brown1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am dissapointed that they haven't come out with a release date yet. Nexus comes out today and phones come out a week later. Same model with iPhone. These fools need to learn

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
When the 1520 was announced I was ready to sign up and add a line for what was spec'd as a fantastic phone. Now that ATT has had their way and removed the wireless charging and halfed the memory from 32GB to 16Gb ... no way. Not gonna happen. Love my 920 and will stick with it. Sorry ATT but you turned what was a fantastic device into a loser. My original Samsung Focus had 16GB and a microSD slot. Thanks for setting the way back machine on 4 years ago ATT. Jeez.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... because, quad core, 1080P phones with 2 gb of ram running on an LTE network were available 4 years ago. :winktongue: The wireless charging was removed because it's not PMA and I'm fairly certain storage was halved to bring an impressive, large screened phone in under the price of the other ones. Sure, I'd like more storage but for those that don't need it they're not paying for it and if you need more storage you can buy a card (cheaply I might add). :wink:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When the 1520 was announced I was ready to sign up and add a line for what was spec'd as a fantastic phone. Now that ATT has had their way and removed the wireless charging and halfed the memory from 32GB to 16Gb ... no way. Not gonna happen. Love my 920 and will stick with it. Sorry ATT but you turned what was a fantastic device into a loser. My original Samsung Focus had 16GB and a microSD slot. Thanks for setting the way back machine on 4 years ago ATT. Jeez.

no, your original Samsung Focus had 8Gb with a card slot that could be expanded and acted like built in storage. The great thing about that phone is apps could be stored on the card. We can't even do that today.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea,

The disappointed to be disappointed thread. Haven't had one of these in a few weeks. Good to see all is right in the world again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro