Disappointed with AT&T variant?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
re: Disappointed with AT&T variant?

You could always pick up the RM-938 global variant. It basically adds LTE band 4, wireless charging, and has 32Gb storage

I've been with AT&T since the days of Cingular Wireless, and for the first time I am actually considering this. I think AT&T considers that WP globally is more popular than in USA, so they can get away with lower specs. But like I said before, I can't see going to 16GB from my current 32 GB 920. This would seem like a downgrade to me. MicroSD card was supposed to be an upgrade and not a trade off.

So AT&T will most like miss a sell and contract extention. Who knows where it goes from there.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
re: Disappointed with AT&T variant?

I've been with AT&T since the days of Cingular Wireless, and for the first time I am actually considering this. I think AT&T considers that WP globally is more popular than in USA, so they can get away with lower specs. But like I said before, I can't see going to 16GB from my current 32 GB 920. This would seem like a downgrade to me. MicroSD card was supposed to be an upgrade and not a trade off.

So AT&T will most like miss a sell and contract extention. Who knows where it goes from there.

I hope nokia hears our voice to make this 16Gb and no built in wireless charging not happen! I want the true 1520!

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 was never seriously on my radar because of its size but I always regarded it as a good sign of things ahead for the next generation of Nokia phones. Now I am not so sure. I will hang on to the current generation as long as possible and seriously consider other brands at upgrade time. Given the situation AT&T and Nokia have created the Samsung Ativ S Neo looks as attractive to me as the 1520 when it comes to new phones right now. Same storage, no wireless Qi charging on either, lower phone specs on the Samsung but a much lighter and more reasonably sized device. As for the camera I wont be throwing away my 1020 any time soon. Samsung's next device will no doubt be even better. The days of wireless Qi charging on new AT&T phones appear to be over for the foreseeable future..

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
compromised again, not sure why nokia would allow this, build a phablet with 32gb, who cares you can upgrade to 64gb, people rather just deal with internal storage.

dumb decision, ATT probably wanting 1520 owners to use their ATT locker app which is a total joke. The uploads never properly uploads and is slow as fug. Horrible app so i deleted it.

I personally dont think 1520 will be a seller anyway, but those that want to see storage and see 16gb vs a note with 32gb, is giong to choose a note.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally dont think 1520 will be a seller anyway, but those that want to see storage and see 16gb vs a note with 32gb, is giong to choose a note.

You can't be thinking that. So many really smart people have said that Nokia couldn't sell anything at least in USA but this AT&T exclusive version.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The 1520 was never seriously on my radar because of its size but I always regarded it as a good sign of things ahead for the next generation of Nokia phones. Now I am not so sure. I will hang on to the current generation as long as possible and seriously consider other brands at upgrade time. Given the situation AT&T and Nokia have created the Samsung Ativ S Neo looks as attractive to me as the 1520 when it comes to new phones right now. Same storage, no wireless Qi charging on either, lower phone specs on the Samsung but a much lighter and more reasonably sized device. As for the camera I wont be throwing away my 1020 any time soon. Samsung's next device will no doubt be even better. The days of wireless Qi charging on new AT&T phones appear to be over for the foreseeable future..

About the ativ s neo, it is basically an s3, not an s4, with windows phone on it. Not worth buying it in my opinion.

Larry Waters

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Talk about a buzz kill. AT&T just killed my desire for the 1520. I've been eagerly waiting for the 1520 ever since the Bandit rumors started. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan so the 6" screen would have been great.

I watched Nokia World in Abu Dhabi. When the 1520 release schedule was discussed, not once was it mentioned the US was not getting a real 1520. MS is crazy to have allowed this; the US is where they need to boost WP acceptance the most. I've been using Windows since Windows Mobile and love it. As much as I despise Google and their data sifting, it may be time to give the Note III and android another look.

One thing I do know: when AT&T inevitably kills my current data plan, I'm leaving them the next day.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
How much do you imagine is the manufacturing cost difference between 16 and 32 GB?

5 bucks. Seriously. When you are buying thousands of a product the cost for the extra 16Gb would have been probably 5 bucks. This is pathetic. Has nothing to do with saving money or being able to reduce the cost of the phone to the customer.

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Are we sure that the phone will only comes with the 16 gig until I see it goes up on pre order with the spec I will reserve judgment. If it so I guess I Will be saying by to ATT after over 25 yrs from cellular one to att to BellSouth mobility to Cingular to BellSouth to ATT

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
5 bucks. Seriously. When you are buying thousands of a product the cost for the extra 16Gb would have been probably 5 bucks. This is pathetic. Has nothing to do with saving money or being able to reduce the cost of the phone to the customer.

on at&t, iphone 5s 16gb is 199. iphone 5s 32gb is 299. samsung galaxy s4 16gb is 199, 32gb is 250. so using these pricing logic, it safe to assume that the 16gb variant of the lumia 1520 will be 199. i for one am happy. i'd rather pay 199 instead of 100 more for 16gb of storage since the phone has microsd slot. some people would rather have 32gb native storage. i would also if it didnt have a microsd slot like the lumia 1020 but since it's going to have one it's not as big of a deal for me.

NokiaBeast

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
As a former 900 owner who thought I had THE phone to own when I bought it on pre-order only to find out a couple months later that it wouldn't get the WP8 update, this shift from Qi to PMA on ATT's part really chaps my ***. Yeah, it's not anybody's fault that the WP7.5 kernal needed to be updated for WP8, I understand that. But this is one more way for ATT to screw their customers who've invested their hard-earned money in charging plates. I don't have a particular alliance with Qi other than I spent money on two of them and don't want to do that again just so ATT can make more money off me.

Don't even get me started on ATT crippling the storage capacity on the 1520. ATT is selling out their WP customers with this decision to cut back to 16 gb on the 1520 when Nokia is putting 32 gb in the phone for everywhere else.

Nokia finally was able to put all the elements many of us wanted in a phone so that spec-wise it competes with the current offerings from Samsung and LG and Apple and the carrier kills the phone's appeal before it's even launched, demanding it lose built in wireless charging and half it's internal storage. I won't be buying this phone now. I'll hold on to my cyan 920 until the successor to the 1020 comes out and if that phone is crippled by the carrier too, I'll buy an international version, if possible. I won't give ATT any more money for a phone and lock myself into another two year contract with them. I'll be keeping all of my options open from here on out.

The thing that sucks the most for me is that I've had nothing but good experiences with ATT since leaving T-Mo to get the Lumia 900. Customer service at stores and online has been as good or better than what I enjoyed at T-Mobile. Any customer loyalty I felt coming on board last year has gone out the window with what ATT is doing to the 1520 and I expect more of the same going forward. :angry:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If HTC made an HTC One 2 (announced at MWC 2014, maybe even CES 2014?) with dual booting to windows phone, and 64GB (considering there would be 2 OSes), I would leave nokia.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If Rogers supports the Qi standard and gets the 1520, that would be the way to go. Dint remember the RM number but didn't a NA variant get mentioned by the FCC that matched the global version for specs?

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, there MAY be a 32 GB version released by AT&T later and there MAY be a QI wireless charging shell (doubt it though). All of this just reminds me that I have no compelling reason to buy anything right now. The 1020 is quite satisfactory and the 1520 is just a start on the new generation anyway. If I can't get compelling feature upgrades it makes no sense not to wait. Wait until we see what everyone else puts on the table now that AT&T has taken QI charging off the table. Why not continue to take advantage of the wireless charging investment and convenience? Neither the 920 nor 1020 have been made obsolete in any way by this release. Expect price drops on the 1520 soon as AT&T discovers that current windows phone users will hold onto their money rather than shell out (literally) for a neutered device. They are going to have to rely on crossovers from other operating systems to sell this phone now IMO. T-Mobile variant may be more attractive when it materializes but again, it is all about timing. The buzz about this phone will inevitably die down and the window of opportunity to sell it will be closing soon as more options emerge. By the time the AT&T exclusive is up it will probably be too late. Maybe T-Mobile will call it the 1521 to bring it out sooner. Best to sit tight until next year unless there is a real need. Even then there are cheap phones that can serve as a stopgap until the right phone comes along.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos