Disappointed with AT&T variant?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I admit, I was skeptical in buying the 1520 or not. I say to myself, my 920 is fine, but then I say that I want all the goodies. But when the AT&T variant didn't include built in wireless charging, and only 16GB, I've decided I lowered my chance of getting the 1520 from 60% to 10%. I mean, if AT&T doesn't want to add features that their customers want, why should we be enslaved? I sadly have to stay with them, and really hope they change, release updates quicker, and actually make their customers happy.

What is your take on this?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: Disappointed with AT&T variant?

I'm not eligible for an upgrade till next March, so I'll see what's out at that point. By then, there could easily be another Nokia device that has better specs than the 1520.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I disappointed with the AT&T 1520 variant as well. I knew AT&T would remove the QI charging, but not axe the 32GB for 16GB memory and possibly the removal of IPS LCD for Amoled for $750 off contract.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm very disappointed with ATT. Im also due for an upgrade in March 2014. Once my contract is up, I might just disable my data plan for a few months before upgrading and lets see how much they like that.
Maybe we should all do this...

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I disappointed with the AT&T 1520 variant as well. I knew AT&T would remove the QI charging, but not axe the 32GB for 16GB memory and possibly the removal of IPS LCD for Amoled for $750 off contract.

I totally agree with you!

I could get past not having built in Qi charging, even though I love it on my 920, but I cannot get past only having 16Gig of storage and the removal of the beautiful IPS-LCD screen!! I have a lot of very large games on my 920 and I could never make it on 16Gig. Some of those games take up 4Gig all by themselves!! And I have never been an AMOLED fan. IPS-LCD, to me, is much better in sun light and the colors seem to pop more.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm okay with only 16gb of built-in storage. the lack of Qi charging is turning me off. I want to see what the stupid charging shell is going to look and feel like. May just keep the 920 for a while. I do get a bad itch (for something new) when I've had a device for about a year though. lol

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

How are you guys up for an upgrade in March? lol. I bought my 920 in November and my upgrade date is like September or November of next year :/

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I'm disappointed also. I'll be getting the global variant and not this stripped down bastardized piece of crap.

VengenceIsMine

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Highly. I will not be switching from TMobile for this neutered version. Hopefully there will be an international version that I can get that will work well on T-Mobile, otherwise wait til spring for a Win 8.1 phone release or just cave and get a Nexus 5.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I personally don't care about the wireless charging and the 16GB of internal storage. This baby will be mine on day one. I do, however, understand why you guys are upset that AT&T isn't getting the device as presented. I do have a question though. Since the AT&T variant doesn't have wireless charging would it then be lighter then the one that does?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

So Verizon customers can't get it at all and those on AT&T get a version with less storage and no wireless charging? Sounds like a recipe for success...

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Was looking at the 1520 page on AT&T and while there version doesn't have wireless charging built in you can in fact purchase a wireless charging shell separately. I know that's extra expense(probably why AT&T did it that way) but wireless charging is available for those that want it.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

So Verizon customers can't get it at all and those on AT&T get a version with less storage and no wireless charging? Sounds like a recipe for success...

Hey, AT&T has a WORLD EXCLUSIVE on the 16 GB no wireless version and you gotta have exclusives to sell the phones, right? Some really smart marketing people must have determined that this is exactly what AT&T customers want, to maximize sales, right?

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Hey, AT&T has a WORLD EXCLUSIVE on the 16 GB no wireless version and you gotta have exclusives to sell the phones, right? Some really smart marketing people must have determined that this is exactly what AT&T customers want, to maximize sales, right?

Except it does have wireless charging you just have to buy it separated. And since it supports expandable storage 16GB internal is plenty. Also, since it does lack built in wireless charging and only has 16GB it's like to be a lot cheaper off contract then $750 which translates to a better on contract price which equals more sales. So yeah, right.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

As a phone with a 6" screen the 1520 will be competing with the Note 3 for sales. Other than screen appearance and camera there isn't really any advantage to getting the 1520 unless you're already a wp user. The 1520 is beautiful, but unless it's $600 off contract I don't see any compelling reason to get it for the average customer. If it was on Verizon with wireless charging and 32gb of storage I would get it, but I've been using wp for a long time and there are things about wp I prefer over android.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

it does have wireless charging you just have to buy it separated.
That's like saying that my car has a refrigerator because I can buy one separately and put it on top. There's a substantial difference between "having it" and "being able to have it." The former looks at the device itself while the latter can include add-ons. If I buy the AT&T 1520, I cannot choose the case of my choice because I'll have already have to attach a QI shell to the phone, something that buyers in other countries won't have to do.
since it supports expandable storage, 16GB internal is plenty.
For security reasons, WP treats SD cards very differently than internal memory. They are not equivalent at all. Also, internal memory has higher performance characteristics than SD cards.

AT&T hobbled a flagship Windows Phone. Whether this was done to preserve an Android or iOS advantage, to increase profit margins, or because someone goofed in picking features, the end result is the same: the AT&T version of the Lumia 1520 is not as good as anyone else's and is a step backward from the 920 in two features important to many users.

I don't know that I want a 6" phone, but I know that I don't want that one -- even if AT&T offers to give it to me. If I really wanted it, I'd be looking at unlocked ones or versions from other carriers. I'd give up LTE before QI or 32GB.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I am reluctant to purchase another phone with 16gb of storage, even with expandable storage. Windows Phone and Android use the SD card for media only (android for the most part doesn't support putting apps on the SD card) at with the size of many games 16gb doesn't go very far.

Kevin Spring

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

That's like saying that my car has a refrigerator because I can buy one separately and put it on top. There's a substantial difference between "having it" and "being able to have it." The former looks at the device itself while the latter can include add-ons. If I buy the AT&T 1520, I cannot choose the case of my choice because I'll have already have to attach a QI shell to the phone, something that buyers in other countries won't have to do.
For security reasons, WP treats SD cards very differently than internal memory. They are not equivalent at all. Also, internal memory has higher performance characteristics than SD cards.

AT&T hobbled a flagship Windows Phone. Whether this was done to preserve an Android or iOS advantage, to increase profit margins, or because someone goofed in picking features, the end result is the same: the AT&T version of the Lumia 1520 is not as good as anyone else's and is a step backward from the 920 in two features important to many users.

I don't know that I want a 6" phone, but I know that I don't want that one -- even if AT&T offers to give it to me. If I really wanted it, I'd be looking at unlocked ones or versions from other carriers. I'd give up LTE before QI or 32GB.

You could always pick up the RM-938 global variant. It basically adds LTE band 4, wireless charging, and has 32Gb storage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo