11-03-2013 04:51 AM
46 12
tools
    And you sir are completely wrong about the storage issue. Someone else who is unable to see beyond themselves. Maybe YOU aren't going to "wrangle up 16 GB of applications" but clearly some people do. As noted by CSJr1 above (and many others at various spots on this site the past week) He has a 920 with 32GB and has used up almost all of his space with apps/games. I myself have a 920 as well and while I have not used as much space as him, I would be coming up on the 16GB limit very soon. So it is an issue for some of us. You know, some people other than you. And I'm sure your response is going to be that no one needs that many apps or games on their phone so I will make a preemptive response..it's not for you to decide what others want or need. Agree with you on the processor though, it was and is 2.2 and there would be no noticeable difference anyway. And you are right on the money regarding how smooth the OS is and the fact that you can uninstall the little bit of bloatware
    Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you to my ignore list for failing to offer the ability to have a rational discussion, acting as if you are the king of righting wrongs and talking down to people. It really is hard to manage 16 GB of applications. Now, if you simply decide to install ever high-storage game that you can, it's a different story. However, I have 24 applications and 23 games, yet my apps and games combined are only 3.7 GB. And you can say "you don't get to decide what people want and need," but that doesn't sell your point. Being and application pack rat isn't a real defense. I mean, I could go install everything I could ever use in the next 5 years, but I am not going to then go on a rant about how OEMs are terrible for not offering 128-GB devices.

I mean, heck, I have 2,168 songs taking up14.79 GB of space on my phone, and that's after cutting it back quite a bit (I'd probably be over 3,000 otherwise). However, I don't blame OEMs because of it, I simply cut out some of the stuff that I never listened to. 16 GB might be half of what the device has elsewhere, but it's also a storage amount that isn't uncommon on devices. The Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S sit at 16 GB, as does the Lumia 925. Really, the blame belongs as much at the feet of Microsoft as anyone, for not allowing applications to go to the microSD card.

It's probably unlikely, but it COULD be that AT&T is making the 32-GB model available, while ALSO offering the 16-GB one exclusively for less money. We'll find out, and it would be nice, but maybe AT&T is also using this tactic to lower the price of the device to help get more devices into the hands of consumers, since the competition puts its 6-inch devices up at $300. I don't care for the trade-offs much myself, but we don't know that they are absolutes, and they DO come with some benefits.

But I can't say that I care what you have to say. Your first interactions with me were rude and obnoxious, so I won't waste my time hearing any others.
    10-27-2013 10:29 PM
    If it were not for all the photos I've taken with my 920 I'd have a lot of storage left. lol I got the 920 right before my daughter was born and well... You know how parents are with their kids and pictures. I'll be fine not loading all these pics back on a new phone.
    Having the free 25 GB of SkyDrive is a big plus (got it before they scaled it back to 7 GB). I used it to save almost 1 GB of my dad's pictures when his HDD went out on his PC. You should consider that as an external storage option for pictures, because it's pretty useful
    10-27-2013 10:31 PM
    I am through with two year contracts. There are cheaper ways to use the AT&T network. Straight Talk
    erichunt likes this.
    10-27-2013 11:05 PM
    it should be even cheaper than that given that they removed Qi, cut storage in half, and now I'm also seeing rumors that it will have a different processor and come filled to the brim with ATT bloat

this was going to be my first windows phone, I was going to jump ship from Android

But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch
    Heh, post a link or don't even bring that BS.
    TenTwelve and ArthJar like this.
    10-28-2013 08:41 AM
    Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you to my ignore list for failing to offer the ability to have a rational discussion, acting as if you are the king of righting wrongs and talking down to people. It really is hard to manage 16 GB of applications. Now, if you simply decide to install ever high-storage game that you can, it's a different story. However, I have 24 applications and 23 games, yet my apps and games combined are only 3.7 GB. And you can say "you don't get to decide what people want and need," but that doesn't sell your point. Being and application pack rat isn't a real defense. I mean, I could go install everything I could ever use in the next 5 years, but I am not going to then go on a rant about how OEMs are terrible for not offering 128-GB devices.

I mean, heck, I have 2,168 songs taking up14.79 GB of space on my phone, and that's after cutting it back quite a bit (I'd probably be over 3,000 otherwise). However, I don't blame OEMs because of it, I simply cut out some of the stuff that I never listened to. 16 GB might be half of what the device has elsewhere, but it's also a storage amount that isn't uncommon on devices. The Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S sit at 16 GB, as does the Lumia 925. Really, the blame belongs as much at the feet of Microsoft as anyone, for not allowing applications to go to the microSD card.

It's probably unlikely, but it COULD be that AT&T is making the 32-GB model available, while ALSO offering the 16-GB one exclusively for less money. We'll find out, and it would be nice, but maybe AT&T is also using this tactic to lower the price of the device to help get more devices into the hands of consumers, since the competition puts its 6-inch devices up at $300. I don't care for the trade-offs much myself, but we don't know that they are absolutes, and they DO come with some benefits.

But I can't say that I care what you have to say. Your first interactions with me were rude and obnoxious, so I won't waste my time hearing any others.
    You are still not getting it though. While you find it hard to imagine using 16GB's of apps or games, clearly some people do as evidenced by CSJr1 post and others that have posted under the variety of articles this past week. They sold my point. As I stated I'm just now approaching what would be the 16GB limit on my phone so I'm not at the extreme point yet. But if I held on to the phone another year I probably would be. You think I'm being rude but I think you are being rude for dismissing other people's concerns simply because they don't apply to you. They are valid concerns and by dismissing them and calling them an applicant rat you are the one being rude and talking down to people. I will tell you the difference between us, your post is all about you. It's I this, I that, all about how you use your phone. My post is about what others may need for the way they use their phone.

Completely agree with the SD card issue though. If Microsoft would allow installs to the SD card, this whole storage issue as well as the "other storage" issue from before would be a moot point. This is one of those things that Microsoft does that just leaves you scratching your head. One of the many things they do. Seems like a no brainer and yet I really have my doubts as to whether they will ever allow it. And it would be shocking if AT&T released 2 versions of this phone, nice but shocking.
    Last edited by Awhispersecho; 10-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    10-28-2013 10:37 AM
    You are still not getting it though. While you find it hard to imagine using 16GB's of apps or games, clearly some people do as evidenced by CSJr1 post and others that have posted under the variety of articles this past week. They sold my point. As I stated I'm just now approaching what would be the 16GB limit on my phone so I'm not at the extreme point yet. But if I held on to the phone another year I probably would be. You think I'm being rude but I think you are being rude for dismissing other people's concerns simply because they don't apply to you. They are valid concerns and by dismissing them and calling them an applicant rat you are the one being rude and talking down to people. I will tell you the difference between us, your post is all about you. It's I this, I that, all about how you use your phone. My post is about what others may need for the way they use their phone.

Completely agree with the SD card issue though. If Microsoft would allow installs to the SD card, this whole storage issue as well as the "other storage" issue from before would be a moot point. This is one of those things that Microsoft does that just leaves you scratching your head. One of the many things they do. Seems like a no brainer and yet I really have my doubts as to whether they will ever allow it. And it would be shocking if AT&T released 2 versions of this phone, nice but shocking.
    i think you didnt get it. he put you ignore therefore he didnt see what you typed.
    10-28-2013 11:55 AM
    I am through with two year contracts. There are cheaper ways to use the AT&T network. Straight Talk
    There isn't a single AT&T MVNO that offers LTE. And throttling (or other QoS for priority AT&T customers) is a distinct possibility. That's the issue. I'm glad MVNO's exist but I think I've already talked myself into re-upping. I wish I could spend $699 and save money over 2 years (and get the LTE and lack of gimped data stuff) on AT&T but that's not a thing.
    10-28-2013 05:35 PM
    There isn't a single AT&T MVNO that offers LTE.
    Straight Talk does offer LTE on AT&T networks now...it may be throttled compared to AT&T customer plans (I don't know either way), but it does work. My wife's 1020 is on ST and gets LTE.
    10-28-2013 07:45 PM
    Wow that is news to me. I would love a reason to drop the full price on the phone and use it on ST or similar. I just want to understand EVERYTHING I am giving up as a result of not paying $$$ for the real AT&T.

How about tethering? I have a 2-line 2GB data share plan with unlimited minutes and tethering is included....for a billion dollars a month, lol.
    10-28-2013 08:42 PM
    How about tethering? I have a 2-line 2GB data share plan with unlimited minutes and tethering is included....for a billion dollars a month, lol.
    I think Straight Talk says no tethering on their plans but we were able to do so occasionally from an Android phone. Not sure if it will work with Windows Phone if the tethering app checks back with carrier to see if plan has tethering enabled first.
    10-29-2013 04:04 PM
    Ah maybe I was right originally. I think ST LTE is from Sprint, not AT&T.
    10-29-2013 04:17 PM
    Man my ears were burning.:) I probably could make more space by deleting pictures/videos after Skydrive consumes them. Or move music to a SD card, but at 14GB of apps, a 16GB phone would choke trying to maintain the apps and hold system OS at the same time. Don't get me started on Other Storage.

Which reminds me, when a 32GB successor for the 920 comes out does anyone know of a way to backup appData and not just the appList? Something like Windows Mobile used to be able to do... pretty much a zip of all app data. Kudos to Microsoft if they can pull this off with Skydrive.wp_ss_20131030_0002-1-.png
    10-30-2013 04:54 PM
    I think Straight Talk says no tethering on their plans but we were able to do so occasionally from an Android phone. Not sure if it will work with Windows Phone if the tethering app checks back with carrier to see if plan has tethering enabled first.
    Straight Talk doesn't let you tether on windows phone. I know it works in android through.
    10-30-2013 05:00 PM
    How did you get to over 5gb with "other" ...can you account for all that data?
    10-30-2013 05:36 PM
    Offline maps account for 314 MB, Temporary files 471MB. I think the rest has to do with my 3 mailboxes that I sync sent/received folders for a month each.
    10-30-2013 06:01 PM
    can you save the offline maps to the sd card? I'm a bit worried about buying the 16gb 1520 with this whole "other" issue
    10-30-2013 09:28 PM
    can you save the offline maps to the sd card? I'm a bit worried about buying the 16gb 1520 with this whole "other" issue
    The majority of the "Other" issue is to do with SkyDrive.
    Turn off Syncing to SkyDrive and it should be ok.
    11-01-2013 05:26 AM
    it should be even cheaper than that given that they removed Qi, cut storage in half, and now I'm also seeing rumors that it will have a different processor and come filled to the brim with ATT bloat

this was going to be my first windows phone, I was going to jump ship from Android

But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch
    I agree. I find it laughable that Nokia 1520 is shipping their top of the line flagship phone with the same amount of flash as a circa 2009 phones came with. All to save $4 worth of flash? I could understand if the AT&T 1520 were offered for $99, but at $199, it's just not worth dealing with the hassle of only having 16GB of main storage. Most people will have these phones for 2-3 years. Samsung wisely increased the standard flash on the Note 3 to 32GB. The HTC One only comes in 32GB and 64GB. The LG G2 is 32GB standard. Shipping a non-premium amount of flash on a premium, flagship, phone... is just plain stupid. Nokia makes some great phones, but the entire management side of the company needs to fired, starting with Elop.
    11-03-2013 02:19 AM
    I agree. I find it laughable that Nokia 1520 is shipping their top of the line flagship phone with the same amount of flash as a circa 2009 phones came with. All to save $4 worth of flash? I could understand if the AT&T 1520 were offered for $99, but at $199, it's just not worth dealing with the hassle of only having 16GB of main storage. Most people will have these phones for 2-3 years. Samsung wisely increased the standard flash on the Note 3 to 32GB. The HTC One only comes in 32GB and 64GB. The LG G2 is 32GB standard. Shipping a non-premium amount of flash on a premium, flagship, phone... is just plain stupid. Nokia makes some great phones, but the entire management side of the company needs to fired, starting with Elop.

Absolutely agree. Elop must be fired. He just ruined the company.

Fired from my Lumia 820
    11-03-2013 04:21 AM

certainly, you can save your maps to sd card, by downloading Lumia storage check beta application, and from that app you can choose to download your maps on sd card, but you will have to download fresh maps, you cannot move already downloaded maps...
    I m using l520 with gdr3 the same way

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2013 04:48 AM
    And if any one can help me with how to hide my skydrive or Facebook folder from showing under albums option in photos...?

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2013 04:51 AM
46 12