Some possible good news.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
it should be even cheaper than that given that they removed Qi, cut storage in half, and now I'm also seeing rumors that it will have a different processor and come filled to the brim with ATT bloat

this was going to be my first windows phone, I was going to jump ship from Android

But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Where are you seeing rumors about a different processor? Sounds like AT&T hater rhetoric. And... anything a WP8 phone might come pre-installed with can be uninstalled simply. It's not like with Android where carriers put their own version of the OS on it resulting in the user needing to root to get rid of the BS.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont have any undue bias against ATT

I was actually planning on switching from Verizon just to get this device

I'll try to dig up the articles but they pretty much said that the display was changed from AMOLED to LCD (or the other way around, sorry can't remember)
and that the processor has been changed to one with a slower clock speed

what other differences exist between android and WP? Can you manually install custom apps without the need to root/jailbreak or preform some other unlocking method?
can you install apps to the SD card?

thanks

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think (and I'm no expert) you can install apps to a card looking at the storage settings on the GDR3 update. What do you mean by custom apps? Apps not signed by the store?

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So wouldn't that make the change from 32gb to 16gb even worse since you can't install apps on the sd card?

and yes, unsigned apps not in the store

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that does make it worse that you at this point cannot install apps to a card but, I'm just going off the settings on my 920 running the pre-release version of GDR3. It could change. As far as I know there is no way of installing unsigned apps. WP might not be for you being used to Android's flexibility and customization. I came to WP8 from the iPhone camp where I had every iPhone through the 4S and I jailbroke all of them. I honestly don't miss that BS. lol

rick98761

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I dont have any undue bias against ATT

I was actually planning on switching from Verizon just to get this device

I'll try to dig up the articles but they pretty much said that the display was changed from AMOLED to LCD (or the other way around, sorry can't remember)
and that the processor has been changed to one with a slower clock speed

what other differences exist between android and WP? Can you manually install custom apps without the need to root/jailbreak or preform some other unlocking method?
can you install apps to the SD card?

thanks

I don't think I would put much stock in the CPU thing. Its 2.2 instead of 2.3. First that would have no effect on cost. It would most likely be the same chip. The only reason to downclock it would be for thermal reasons. The thermals on the 1520 would not change due to no qi and half the ram. It was most certainly a typo.

I don't buy the screen either. One is not really cheaper then the other. It would probably cost more to retool for a totally different screen type then it would be worth. Either way, both screen types have their advantages and disadvantages.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I would put much stock in the CPU thing. Its 2.2 instead of 2.3. First that would have no effect on cost. It would most likely be the same chip. The only reason to downclock it would be for thermal reasons. The thermals on the 1520 would not change due to no qi and half the ram. It was most certainly a typo.

I don't buy the screen either. One is not really cheaper then the other. It would probably cost more to retool for a totally different screen type then it would be worth. Either way, both screen types have their advantages and disadvantages.

Man, I hope if I decide to get the 1520 it runs cooler than my 920. lol

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
it should be even cheaper than that given that they removed Qi, cut storage in half, and now I'm also seeing rumors that it will have a different processor and come filled to the brim with ATT bloat

this was going to be my first windows phone, I was going to jump ship from Android

But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch

Jumping ship from android to WP is actually pretty easy but my question for is, where are you getting this information? You sound pretty convinced by what you are calling rumor but what is the source?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The qi and storage issues are well documented

the different processor report can be seen in the article in the OP

the article in the OP says it's a snapdragon 800. how is that a different processor than what they said at nokia world? it's 2.2ghz vs. the 2.3ghz that the processor can go at max. it is nothing different than what they said at nokia world. the lumia 1520 at&t version screen is the exact same as the international version. at&t took out QI charging but you should still be able to get a charging back plate to still do wireless charging. at&t brought the storage down to 16gb from 32gb but you still have a microsd card slot of up to 64gb. in order to take up 10gb of storage i would have to have an insane amount of games on my phone. i wouldnt even be able to play all of those games regularly. so basically i'd be putting games on my phone just to take up space. for music videos and pics i would just put them on the sd card so those wont even take up internal storage. and even all this at&t version news is still a rumor because noone really knows until at&t announces it themselves which they havent. and as someome else said you can uninstall all of the at&t apps that come on it. so that is a non-issue.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So wouldn't that make the change from 32gb to 16gb even worse since you can't install apps on the sd card?

and yes, unsigned apps not in the store

well you can automatically save your photos and videos and music to your SD card or you can save onto Skydrive. I think the reason why they are cutting it in half is because they are pushing for their cloud storage app. most likely they will do the same for their other handsets

Also you can uninstall Bloatware from the device. :D

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
well you can automatically save your photos and videos and music to your SD card or you can save onto Skydrive. I think the reason why they are cutting it in half is because they are pushing for their cloud storage app. most likely they will do the same for their other handsets

Also you can uninstall Bloatware from the device. :D

I have 2.5 GB of free space on my 920 (32GB) now. This is with storing all my photos/videos on Skydrive. My music is only ~60 MB (12 or so songs). So yes I have a lot of apps of the large variety. Something that 16GB could not handle. I can compromise the loss of Qi, but 16GB will not work to reinstall all my apps even with a MicroSD card as it doesn't handle app installation.

So AT&T will most likely lose my contract extension on my line as I will look to get my 1520 from an international source. This may cause AT&T to lose me as a customer if my frustration hasn't subsided after 1 year as I wait for my other family contract to expire.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The qi and storage issues are well documented

the different processor report can be seen in the article in the OP

Same processor. The 2.2 vs 2.3ghz thing may just be a typo on ATT's part. Otherwise it will make no difference at all. And the ATT bloat is standard for all windows phones. They come as a few apps, but you can uninstall every single one of them.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
the article in the OP says it's a snapdragon 800. how is that a different processor than what they said at nokia world? it's 2.2ghz vs. the 2.3ghz that the processor can go at max. it is nothing different than what they said at nokia world. the lumia 1520 at&t version screen is the exact same as the international version. at&t took out QI charging but you should still be able to get a charging back plate to still do wireless charging. at&t brought the storage down to 16gb from 32gb but you still have a microsd card slot of up to 64gb. in order to take up 10gb of storage i would have to have an insane amount of games on my phone. i wouldnt even be able to play all of those games regularly. so basically i'd be putting games on my phone just to take up space. for music videos and pics i would just put them on the sd card so those wont even take up internal storage. and even all this at&t version news is still a rumor because noone really knows until at&t announces it themselves which they havent. and as someome else said you can uninstall all of the at&t apps that come on it. so that is a non-issue.
According to this video, the 16GB rumor is true.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Where are you seeing rumors about a different processor? Sounds like AT&T hater rhetoric. And... anything a WP8 phone might come pre-installed with can be uninstalled simply. It's not like with Android where carriers put their own version of the OS on it resulting in the user needing to root to get rid of the BS.

You can't install AT&T blot, can you?

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
These changes are okay by me if it means the subsidized cost will be $199. I'm talking about the bigger picture here when I say this would be a good move. MANY more people will buy this phone if it is priced at $199 as opposed to $299. In my opinion, that is more important for the ecosystem right now.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
These changes are okay by me if it means the subsidized cost will be $199. I'm talking about the bigger picture here when I say this would be a good move. MANY more people will buy this phone if it is priced at $199 as opposed to $299. In my opinion, that is more important for the ecosystem right now.

I considered that too. A lower price is a good way to get it in more hands. As small as the contingent is there will always be those who want a large screen phone but, are unhappy with Apple sizes and do not like Android. It's what got me to WP8 in the first place. I was ready and willing to buy an iPhone 5 and then Apple pulled that "We'll just make it a bit taller" BS. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers