Some possible good news.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch

Really not a problem with Windows Phone. It isn't a bloated mess like skinned Android. Everything with Windows Phone is the stock experience, except the carrier bloatware. You can uninstall that garbage once you set the phone up though, something you have to root an Android device for. You don't get the stuttering and hiccups with Windows Phone like with Android. On top of that, the OS takes up less space on Windows Phone than with a skinned Android experience. Apparently, the pre-loaded applications on the Galaxy S4 took up 7+ GB of storage, while the Windows Phone 8 System storage says that only 1.71 GB is used--a big difference.

To be honest, I'm pretty unhappy that AT&T cut the storage in half, along with removing the wireless charging. However, you're never going to wrangle up 16 GB of applications (well, more like 13 after formatting and OS installation). Probably 75% (or more) of my used storage on my 920 is music, which is made up of 2,000+ songs. With the microSD addition to the 1520, the music thing's not an issue anymore. It IS clocked at 2.2 GHZ, not the 2.3 GHZ the Note 3 runs at, but that's a global device thing, not an AT&T one. That, and 2.2 GHz vs. 2.3 GHz is a minuscule change you wouldn't even notice.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Where are you guys getting this 2.3 ghz on the global?

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Large screen smartphone - Nokia

• Processor name: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800
  • Processor type: Quad-core 2.2 GHz

they are talking about the max the snapdragon 800 can do which is 2.3 ghz. scroll down a little in this link and you will see the snapdragon specs. Snapdragon 800 Processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors . but nokia only has the snapdragon 800 going at 2.2ghz. that doesnt mean it's a different chip, they just scaled it back 100mhz. i bet this is for thermal configuration to cut down on heat generation a little bit.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Really not a problem with Windows Phone. It isn't a bloated mess like skinned Android. Everything with Windows Phone is the stock experience, except the carrier bloatware. You can uninstall that garbage once you set the phone up though, something you have to root an Android device for. You don't get the stuttering and hiccups with Windows Phone like with Android. On top of that, the OS takes up less space on Windows Phone than with a skinned Android experience. Apparently, the pre-loaded applications on the Galaxy S4 took up 7+ GB of storage, while the Windows Phone 8 System storage says that only 1.71 GB is used--a big difference.

To be honest, I'm pretty unhappy that AT&T cut the storage in half, along with removing the wireless charging. However, you're never going to wrangle up 16 GB of applications (well, more like 13 after formatting and OS installation). Probably 75% (or more) of my used storage on my 920 is music, which is made up of 2,000+ songs. With the microSD addition to the 1520, the music thing's not an issue anymore. It IS clocked at 2.2 GHZ, not the 2.3 GHZ the Note 3 runs at, but that's a global device thing, not an AT&T one. That, and 2.2 GHz vs. 2.3 GHz is a minuscule change you wouldn't even notice.

And you sir are completely wrong about the storage issue. Someone else who is unable to see beyond themselves. Maybe YOU aren't going to "wrangle up 16 GB of applications" but clearly some people do. As noted by CSJr1 above (and many others at various spots on this site the past week) He has a 920 with 32GB and has used up almost all of his space with apps/games. I myself have a 920 as well and while I have not used as much space as him, I would be coming up on the 16GB limit very soon. So it is an issue for some of us. You know, some people other than you. And I'm sure your response is going to be that no one needs that many apps or games on their phone so I will make a preemptive response..it's not for you to decide what others want or need. Agree with you on the processor though, it was and is 2.2 and there would be no noticeable difference anyway. And you are right on the money regarding how smooth the OS is and the fact that you can uninstall the little bit of bloatware

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If it were not for all the photos I've taken with my 920 I'd have a lot of storage left. lol I got the 920 right before my daughter was born and well... You know how parents are with their kids and pictures. I'll be fine not loading all these pics back on a new phone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And you sir are completely wrong about the storage issue. Someone else who is unable to see beyond themselves. Maybe YOU aren't going to "wrangle up 16 GB of applications" but clearly some people do. As noted by CSJr1 above (and many others at various spots on this site the past week) He has a 920 with 32GB and has used up almost all of his space with apps/games. I myself have a 920 as well and while I have not used as much space as him, I would be coming up on the 16GB limit very soon. So it is an issue for some of us. You know, some people other than you. And I'm sure your response is going to be that no one needs that many apps or games on their phone so I will make a preemptive response..it's not for you to decide what others want or need. Agree with you on the processor though, it was and is 2.2 and there would be no noticeable difference anyway. And you are right on the money regarding how smooth the OS is and the fact that you can uninstall the little bit of bloatware

Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you to my ignore list for failing to offer the ability to have a rational discussion, acting as if you are the king of righting wrongs and talking down to people. It really is hard to manage 16 GB of applications. Now, if you simply decide to install ever high-storage game that you can, it's a different story. However, I have 24 applications and 23 games, yet my apps and games combined are only 3.7 GB. And you can say "you don't get to decide what people want and need," but that doesn't sell your point. Being and application pack rat isn't a real defense. I mean, I could go install everything I could ever use in the next 5 years, but I am not going to then go on a rant about how OEMs are terrible for not offering 128-GB devices.

I mean, heck, I have 2,168 songs taking up14.79 GB of space on my phone, and that's after cutting it back quite a bit (I'd probably be over 3,000 otherwise). However, I don't blame OEMs because of it, I simply cut out some of the stuff that I never listened to. 16 GB might be half of what the device has elsewhere, but it's also a storage amount that isn't uncommon on devices. The Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S sit at 16 GB, as does the Lumia 925. Really, the blame belongs as much at the feet of Microsoft as anyone, for not allowing applications to go to the microSD card.

It's probably unlikely, but it COULD be that AT&T is making the 32-GB model available, while ALSO offering the 16-GB one exclusively for less money. We'll find out, and it would be nice, but maybe AT&T is also using this tactic to lower the price of the device to help get more devices into the hands of consumers, since the competition puts its 6-inch devices up at $300. I don't care for the trade-offs much myself, but we don't know that they are absolutes, and they DO come with some benefits.

But I can't say that I care what you have to say. Your first interactions with me were rude and obnoxious, so I won't waste my time hearing any others.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If it were not for all the photos I've taken with my 920 I'd have a lot of storage left. lol I got the 920 right before my daughter was born and well... You know how parents are with their kids and pictures. I'll be fine not loading all these pics back on a new phone.

Having the free 25 GB of SkyDrive is a big plus (got it before they scaled it back to 7 GB). I used it to save almost 1 GB of my dad's pictures when his HDD went out on his PC. You should consider that as an external storage option for pictures, because it's pretty useful

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
it should be even cheaper than that given that they removed Qi, cut storage in half, and now I'm also seeing rumors that it will have a different processor and come filled to the brim with ATT bloat

this was going to be my first windows phone, I was going to jump ship from Android

But unless I figure out a way to install a custom clean OS like with Android then I don't think I'll be making the switch

Heh, post a link or don't even bring that BS.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you to my ignore list for failing to offer the ability to have a rational discussion, acting as if you are the king of righting wrongs and talking down to people. It really is hard to manage 16 GB of applications. Now, if you simply decide to install ever high-storage game that you can, it's a different story. However, I have 24 applications and 23 games, yet my apps and games combined are only 3.7 GB. And you can say "you don't get to decide what people want and need," but that doesn't sell your point. Being and application pack rat isn't a real defense. I mean, I could go install everything I could ever use in the next 5 years, but I am not going to then go on a rant about how OEMs are terrible for not offering 128-GB devices.

I mean, heck, I have 2,168 songs taking up14.79 GB of space on my phone, and that's after cutting it back quite a bit (I'd probably be over 3,000 otherwise). However, I don't blame OEMs because of it, I simply cut out some of the stuff that I never listened to. 16 GB might be half of what the device has elsewhere, but it's also a storage amount that isn't uncommon on devices. The Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S sit at 16 GB, as does the Lumia 925. Really, the blame belongs as much at the feet of Microsoft as anyone, for not allowing applications to go to the microSD card.

It's probably unlikely, but it COULD be that AT&T is making the 32-GB model available, while ALSO offering the 16-GB one exclusively for less money. We'll find out, and it would be nice, but maybe AT&T is also using this tactic to lower the price of the device to help get more devices into the hands of consumers, since the competition puts its 6-inch devices up at $300. I don't care for the trade-offs much myself, but we don't know that they are absolutes, and they DO come with some benefits.

But I can't say that I care what you have to say. Your first interactions with me were rude and obnoxious, so I won't waste my time hearing any others.

You are still not getting it though. While you find it hard to imagine using 16GB's of apps or games, clearly some people do as evidenced by CSJr1 post and others that have posted under the variety of articles this past week. They sold my point. As I stated I'm just now approaching what would be the 16GB limit on my phone so I'm not at the extreme point yet. But if I held on to the phone another year I probably would be. You think I'm being rude but I think you are being rude for dismissing other people's concerns simply because they don't apply to you. They are valid concerns and by dismissing them and calling them an applicant rat you are the one being rude and talking down to people. I will tell you the difference between us, your post is all about you. It's I this, I that, all about how you use your phone. My post is about what others may need for the way they use their phone.

Completely agree with the SD card issue though. If Microsoft would allow installs to the SD card, this whole storage issue as well as the "other storage" issue from before would be a moot point. This is one of those things that Microsoft does that just leaves you scratching your head. One of the many things they do. Seems like a no brainer and yet I really have my doubts as to whether they will ever allow it. And it would be shocking if AT&T released 2 versions of this phone, nice but shocking.

Last edited:

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You are still not getting it though. While you find it hard to imagine using 16GB's of apps or games, clearly some people do as evidenced by CSJr1 post and others that have posted under the variety of articles this past week. They sold my point. As I stated I'm just now approaching what would be the 16GB limit on my phone so I'm not at the extreme point yet. But if I held on to the phone another year I probably would be. You think I'm being rude but I think you are being rude for dismissing other people's concerns simply because they don't apply to you. They are valid concerns and by dismissing them and calling them an applicant rat you are the one being rude and talking down to people. I will tell you the difference between us, your post is all about you. It's I this, I that, all about how you use your phone. My post is about what others may need for the way they use their phone.

Completely agree with the SD card issue though. If Microsoft would allow installs to the SD card, this whole storage issue as well as the "other storage" issue from before would be a moot point. This is one of those things that Microsoft does that just leaves you scratching your head. One of the many things they do. Seems like a no brainer and yet I really have my doubts as to whether they will ever allow it. And it would be shocking if AT&T released 2 versions of this phone, nice but shocking.

i think you didnt get it. he put you ignore therefore he didnt see what you typed.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am through with two year contracts. There are cheaper ways to use the AT&T network. Straight Talk

There isn't a single AT&T MVNO that offers LTE. And throttling (or other QoS for priority AT&T customers) is a distinct possibility. That's the issue. I'm glad MVNO's exist but I think I've already talked myself into re-upping. I wish I could spend $699 and save money over 2 years (and get the LTE and lack of gimped data stuff) on AT&T but that's not a thing.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow that is news to me. I would love a reason to drop the full price on the phone and use it on ST or similar. I just want to understand EVERYTHING I am giving up as a result of not paying $$$ for the real AT&T.

How about tethering? I have a 2-line 2GB data share plan with unlimited minutes and tethering is included....for a billion dollars a month, lol.

karryt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How about tethering? I have a 2-line 2GB data share plan with unlimited minutes and tethering is included....for a billion dollars a month, lol.
I think Straight Talk says no tethering on their plans but we were able to do so occasionally from an Android phone. Not sure if it will work with Windows Phone if the tethering app checks back with carrier to see if plan has tethering enabled first.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Man my ears were burning.:) I probably could make more space by deleting pictures/videos after Skydrive consumes them. Or move music to a SD card, but at 14GB of apps, a 16GB phone would choke trying to maintain the apps and hold system OS at the same time. Don't get me started on Other Storage.

Which reminds me, when a 32GB successor for the 920 comes out does anyone know of a way to backup appData and not just the appList? Something like Windows Mobile used to be able to do... pretty much a zip of all app data. Kudos to Microsoft if they can pull this off with Skydrive.wp_ss_20131030_0002[1].png

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think Straight Talk says no tethering on their plans but we were able to do so occasionally from an Android phone. Not sure if it will work with Windows Phone if the tethering app checks back with carrier to see if plan has tethering enabled first.

Straight Talk doesn't let you tether on windows phone. I know it works in android through.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Offline maps account for 314 MB, Temporary files 471MB. I think the rest has to do with my 3 mailboxes that I sync sent/received folders for a month each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo