20mp camera

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any specs or info on the 20mp camera? Sensor size, lenses etc? What are the differences compared to 41mp.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
IMAGING
Here at the PureViewClub of course, we’re all especially interested in the camera. I guess we all knew the Nokia Lumia 1520 will have a 20MP camerasensor, Pureview Optical Image Stabilisation, the aperture is f/2.4.

It has no Xenon flash, but dual LED flash. The Nokia Lumia 1520 shoots video in Full HD (1080p), the front camera has a 1.2 MP sensor (and “Skype HD” 720p).
A few more numbers to compare it with the Nokia Lumia 1020 in detail:
- The sensor size is smaller: 1/2’5″ (25mm2) instead of 1/1’5″ (50mm2).
- Pixel technology is the same as on the Nokia Lumia 1020: 1.12um BSI Toshiba.
- The 20MP sensor shoots 19MP in 4:3 and 17MP in 16:9
- The camera offers 2x “hi-resolution” (= lossless) zoom in 5MP (3x in 1080p video).
- Optics design is the same as in the Lumia 1020: 1 glass + 5 plastic lenses.
- Aperture: F2.4 on the Lumia 1520 (F2.2 on the 1020)
- OIS is the same system: Barrel shift with 1/3s in auto mode
- Low light (module SNR10): 14 lux (9 lux on the 1020)
All (!) the specifications of the Nokia Lumia 1520 | PureView Club

- Low light (module SNR10): 14 lux (9 lux on the 1020) <- have no idea how these compare to each other but it means how much each pixel can collect light. I guess sensor is bit more powerful in low light situations but 1020 larger cell + 2.2f aperture should still take better low light images. I think 1050 can come quite close though.
It looks to be quite complicated value and consists of multiple variables. http://www.imagesensors.org/Past Workshops/2007 Workshop/2007 Papers/001 Alakarhu.pdf

Last edited:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
was hoping for a bigger pixels. Some of the samples going around are nice, but I'm not convinced yet. Maybe I'm spoiled by the 920, but I dont think it's too much to wait for a better camera...or at least see some better shots from fellow forum members :)

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
was hoping for a bigger pixels. Some of the samples going around are nice, but I'm not convinced yet. Maybe I'm spoiled by the 920, but I dont think it's too much to wait for a better camera...or at least see some better shots from fellow forum members :)
The better camera is the 1020 .

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping for new camera tech in the 1520. They made it out like they had something new in the promos. Like how the 920 introduced OIS. The only thing new at the event was the assertive display.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the new thing was RAW file format. I wonder how much of an improvement it will be compared to the 920. 20mp is great and all, but if the pixels are too small, the 920 could actually look better. I suspect that this camera module will be the exact module they use in the 929 or 930 if it uses 20mp camera. Basically I want a great camera, but 20mp isn't that impressive, then I would prefer the 41mp...but don't want to sidegrade every other aspect of the phone. Would love 1080p quad core and SD card etc.
Hopefully 2014 brings something of a combination :)

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea, during Nokia World, they were talking about the new generation of OIS and camera technology. All of which is not true at all. But I feel like in general, they didn't portray things accurately at the event. Elop was going on about how Office works even better on the 1520, and the OS is optimized to take advantage of the huge screen. Wrong...it's just blown up and easier to see. Which is ok, just seems like the Nokia product managers didn't really know what they were talking about. Even their camera expert Juha or whatever his name is.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Like Kissan posted above, the pixel size is 1.12um, about the same as all the other 13MP shooteres out there using Sony's 13MP Exmor-RS sensor like the Xperia Z, LG G2, Note 3, S4, etc. You get a few more MP to downsample with, but the per pixel quality and dynamic range and light sensitivity shouldn't be that different. In the end, they are all very small cell phone sensors. Nokia, however, has the much better OIS and processing and manual controls, at the expense of speed. In the end, it's really just a cut down version of the 41MP Pureview sensor. That's why I am a bit disappointed since I was expecting some new tech. Like many a better implementation of the Moto X's clearpixels or something. The Xperia Z1 actually has a bigger sensor at 1/2.3". I dislike their processing though, and the horrid screen and lack of OIS. I guess its quite a feat to cram a 1/2.5" sensor with OIS in the 8.7mm body, but I would've liked something closer to the Lumia 1020 with a thicker body, smaller screen, and better camera. A 5" version of the Lumia 1020 with modern specs. And the neverending question of why Nokia released the Lumia 1020 so early remains...

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Like Kissan posted above, the pixel size is 1.12um, about the same as all the other 13MP shooteres out there using Sony's 13MP Exmor-RS sensor like the Xperia Z, LG G2, Note 3, S4, etc. You get a few more MP to downsample with, but the per pixel quality and dynamic range and light sensitivity shouldn't be that different. In the end, they are all very small cell phone sensors. Nokia, however, has the much better OIS and processing and manual controls, at the expense of speed. In the end, it's really just a cut down version of the 41MP Pureview sensor. That's why I am a bit disappointed since I was expecting some new tech. Like many a better implementation of the Moto X's clearpixels or something. The Xperia Z1 actually has a bigger sensor at 1/2.3". I dislike their processing though, and the horrid screen and lack of OIS. I guess its quite a feat to cram a 1/2.5" sensor with OIS in the 8.7mm body, but I would've liked something closer to the Lumia 1020 with a thicker body, smaller screen, and better camera. A 5" version of the Lumia 1020 with modern specs. And the neverending question of why Nokia released the Lumia 1020 so early remains...

I want to agree with you. To release a quad core 1080p 1020 would be too soon, all the 1020 owners would not be so happy. Or is it too soon? I certainly hope come 8.1 hardware release that the 41mp shooter is significantly improved. And if the 20mp shooter actually becomes something to brag about over the competitors, then I will jump. But until then, I wait for a 1030 I guess even if it's the same camera.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why?
And why not wait until 1040? Or 1050? Or 1060?
Well, if the 1030 is 1080p quad core and improved sensor that would be great. If not, or there is no 1020 successor, then 1020 will be cheaper by then. I really want to believe that the 1020 is not a one off. I hope there is at least one more version with camera on par or better than the 808. Add quad core and 1080p..I'll be pumped

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 doesn't' need Quad Core. It's not Android.

It's not about the OS...directly anyway. Its about applications, jpeg compression for big sensors can for sure take advantage of multithreading, etc. I used to think the same about WP7 on single core SOC. But W8 on dual core is noticeably faster. And how do you know that the current Snapdragons in the dual core family offer the same feature sets as the current quad core SOCs? Can the dual core snapdragons provide 20mp support? Are the dual core SOC graphics processing as powerful as the Quads? How about at 1080p? It's not about the number of cores. Its about having better hardware to support where the software and technology wants to go. Why so defensive about having quad core?

Secondly, I don't even need single core. I dont NEED a cellphone. But since it's my choice, I'll buy what I please. Thank you.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It should be on Sony Z1 levels with added OIS, RAW support, better sound recording, and probably better jpeg processing if the Nokia BLack update delivers.

All in all.. more than most people would ever need.

The only downside is the flash. No xenon = no flash

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why?
And why not wait until 1040? Or 1050? Or 1060?

1020 is slow as hell when taking pictures because it doesn't have a dedicated image processor for the 41MP like the 808 had. The camera app is also slow, whereas on the 1520 it looks much quicker and more responsive in adjusting manual controls. Just because the UI looks silky smooth when not doing much except loading a black background and solid colored tiles doesn't mean WP doesn't need quad-core. It most definitely does, especially with more demanding apps and processes. Or you can always lower expectations. Go back to the good ol' days of pen and paper and pony express. Phone? What is that? Does it have higher IQ if it's smart? :p

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 needs that Snap 800 SoC.. more than any other phone it would make a big difference, especially if they optimize it.

The 1020 camera feels slower than the 808's, which is unacceptable considering how much more powerful the 1020 is in terms of hardware.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 needs that Snap 800 SoC.. more than any other phone it would make a big difference, especially if they optimize it.

The 1020 camera feels slower than the 808's, which is unacceptable considering how much more powerful the 1020 is in terms of hardware.
This^

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Lol you want a diff phone entirely sir

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa