Nokia Developer more force to Lumia1520 at T-Mobile with 32GB and Wireless Charging

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. In practice I think IPS LCD is the superior solution for smartphones. A 6" AMOLED screen would be one insane power hog if you had anything bright at all. Then there's the aging issue. And the tinting.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well if this is true, (hopefully it is) I bet there will be a mass exodus from AT&T by those who can switch.. I mean who wants to be saddled with a carrier that is far up its own behind that doesn't give two hoots about its oem's partner or it's customers?

By killing the 1520 the way they did is going to cost Nokia hellova alot of potential revenue, as the 1520 could have broken the LSD market for WP8 (I just loathe the term phablet lol.. sounds like a obese tablet imo).

Sure they stripped out qi for the vapourware standard because of their allegiance but that doesn't explain why they crippled the internal storage (other than forcing people to pay for their AT&T Locker service like they removed tethering).. I have yet to see a PMA case or cover or accessory marketed and sold to consumers.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Must be nice to just make pronouncements without doing your homework.
What? LOL. Somebody did not watch the Nokia world press conference. I

My money is on the Nokia Developer site when it says that the RM-938 is a US variant and then lists T-Mobile's exact bands.
Yep, because nokiapoweruser have never been wrong before right? Oh yeah, Elop word>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this guy word.

Sometimes it really helps to actually check the links.
Or realize this is a rumor, that go against the facts that Elop and co. stated at the Nokia World last week!

Last edited:

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
It isn't about Nokiapoweruser, it is the actual link to the Nokia developer site. The AT&T exclusive can easily be short-lived. How long was T-Mobile's exclusive on the 925? Also, we have already seen the variant trick where a phone emerges on another network with a slightly different model number. The FCC filing isn't a rumor and neither is the Nokia developer designation of that model as a US variant. The only thing Nokiapoweruser did was put the pieces together since that variant definitely does not match the AT&T model coming out this month. My money, considering ALL the facts is on a T-Mobile version emerging by early next year. Sorry about the sarcasm though.

Last edited:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T exclusive can easily be short-lived.
When have an AT&T exclusive WP8 been "short-lived" though? The 920 & 1020 are still AT&T exclusives, though.

How long was T-Mobile's exclusive on the 925?
A couple of months or so, but the 925 was a "timed" exclusive. So Yeah, T-mobile doesn't have a exclusive deal with Nokia like At&t and AT&T's exclusives stay exclusive to At&t, just saying.

Also, we have already seen the variant trick where a phone emerges on another network with a slightly different model number. The FCC filing isn't a rumor and neither is the Nokia developer designation of that model as a US variant.
There were four variants, then five variants, and now there is only three variants.
Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 1520

The only thing Nokiapoweruser did was put the pieces together since that variant definitely does not match the AT&T model coming out this month. My money, considering ALL the facts is on a T-Mobile version emerging by early next year. Sorry about the sarcasm though.
Oooooo, Nola75, don't do it, do not bet against Elop. Seriously though, When A WP8 become a exclusive to At&t, it's never short-lived but remains a exclusive to Att, unlike T-mobile. No biggie, sarcasm does not bother me. FYI, I honestly have no problem with the 1520 being on T-mobile. I just do not believe it will ever come to T-mobile.

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
There are still four versions of the 1520. The three listed on the Nokia developer site (which presumably Elop has some control over) and the RM-940 which our own leaker on the other thread confirmed was the AT&T version because he had it in his hand. The RM-927 was never the 1520 because it had a smaller body and form factor. I know there is justified skepticism about a T-Mobile version based on precedent. Nokiapoweruser was skeptical initially and still isn't sure. The problem is that precedent is going to be broken either way. Either AT&T will have a short-lived exclusive in the US or a global variant with both the AT&T and T-Mobile bands will be available in the form of the FCC RM-938 model that has already been tested and approved with wireless charging. Honestly, neither AT&T nor T-Mobile would want that phone coming into the US to displace their own branded phones. In the case of AT&T the value of its exclusive will be essentially destroyed once those unlocked versions hit the market and can use all bands on either network. What if tethering isn't disabled? That is why my money is on a T-Mobile version emerging. Both carriers keep control that way and Nokia has no precedent whatsoever of bucking carrier control, at least in the US. There is no certainty that even an unlocked T-Mobile 1520 would run on AT&T and the AT&T version disables a T-Mobile frequency. The unlocked T-Mobile version of the 925 that Negri sells only works out of the US and will get locked out if you try it on AT&T according to their sales staff.

When choosing between the likelihood two unprecedented developments, a shorter AT&T exclusive or the possibility of a world version of the 1520 that can run seamlessly on two US carriers and would be out of their control, I am simply betting on the development that would make the most business sense for all involved. Why would Nokia even develop a separate product with the band coverage of the RM-938 if it wasn't intended for the US market? The international version of all previous versions has had limited compatibility in the US and there is a similar version on tap for the 1520 already. That is the precedent I expect to continue.

I'm not betting against Elop and don't care a lot about whether T-Mobile gets it. AT&T will be my primary carrier for years because the T-Mobile network strength and coverage simply isn't competitive where I live and won't be for the foreseeable future. Verizon is simply more expensive for my needs.

You are entitled to your opinion and I could be wrong but I wanted to explain the logic behind my current belief that we will see a T-Mobile branded model shortly after the holiday season. That way AT&T can get value from their exclusive during a high volume period and the currently known facts can be taken into account. .

Last edited:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
nola75
The RM-938 is listed by Nokia as a US variant and will work on T-Mobile and AT&T LTE. I thought that would be the one to end up on T-Mobile when the AT&T loses it's hold on the 1520. If not where would it go?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice if this is true because T-Mobile could certainly stand to carry the 1520. But I wonder if this might be going to Rogers instead since they have the same bands as T-Mo(?).

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
nola75
The RM-938 is listed by Nokia as a US variant and will work on T-Mobile and AT&T LTE. I thought that would be the one to end up on T-Mobile when the AT&T loses it's hold on the 1520. If not where would it go?

Not really sure. That is why I think T-Mobile will wind up with it. As for Rogers, not sure the bands match exactly but even if they did I would wonder if their customer base is large enough to justify a separate release, especially at the risk of circumventing the wishes of the US carriers. It is admittedly a judgement call until it is officially confirmed but it seems a good bet that RM-938 will eventually wind up on T-Mobile.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be worth the wait. If it takes 6 months, I'm OK with that.
My 920 has about 3GB free and we already have the charging pads. T-Mobile is a lot better for buying phones.

Bob Box

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Nokia developer & AT&T listings gives more force to #Lumia1520 coming to T-Mobile with inbuilt wireless charging.

Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 1520

RM-938 now listed as US variant, not global variant. The RM-938 has 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging.
If it is for T-Mobile they better stock up with all they can, there will be waits for this one.

There are four variants

RM-937 Global variant, LTE 1 3 7 8 20
RM-938 US variant - Went through FCC, LTE 2 4 5 17
RM-939 China variant
RM-940 AT&T, Went through FCC, DTM removed, no Qi charging, LTE band 4 disabled, 16GB, LTE 2 5 17

I think they are all LCD display

This is great to know. I can now dump AT&T. If AT&T isn't going to offer a non-crippled 1520, there is just no point of continuing doing business with them.

Bob Box

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
There are still four versions of the 1520. The three listed on the Nokia developer site (which presumably Elop has some control over) and the RM-940 which our own leaker on the other thread confirmed was the AT&T version because he had it in his hand. The RM-927 was never the 1520 because it had a smaller body and form factor. I know there is justified skepticism about a T-Mobile version based on precedent. Nokiapoweruser was skeptical initially and still isn't sure. The problem is that precedent is going to be broken either way. Either AT&T will have a short-lived exclusive in the US or a global variant with both the AT&T and T-Mobile bands will be available in the form of the FCC RM-938 model that has already been tested and approved with wireless charging. Honestly, neither AT&T nor T-Mobile would want that phone coming into the US to displace their own branded phones. In the case of AT&T the value of its exclusive will be essentially destroyed once those unlocked versions hit the market and can use all bands on either network. What if tethering isn't disabled? That is why my money is on a T-Mobile version emerging. Both carriers keep control that way and Nokia has no precedent whatsoever of bucking carrier control, at least in the US. There is no certainty that even an unlocked T-Mobile 1520 would run on AT&T and the AT&T version disables a T-Mobile frequency. The unlocked T-Mobile version of the 925 that Negri sells only works out of the US and will get locked out if you try it on AT&T according to their sales staff.

When choosing between the likelihood two unprecedented developments, a shorter AT&T exclusive or the possibility of a world version of the 1520 that can run seamlessly on two US carriers and would be out of their control, I am simply betting on the development that would make the most business sense for all involved. Why would Nokia even develop a separate product with the band coverage of the RM-938 if it wasn't intended for the US market? The international version of all previous versions has had limited compatibility in the US and there is a similar version on tap for the 1520 already. That is the precedent I expect to continue.

I'm not betting against Elop and don't care a lot about whether T-Mobile gets it. AT&T will be my primary carrier for years because the T-Mobile network strength and coverage simply isn't competitive where I live and won't be for the foreseeable future. Verizon is simply more expensive for my needs.

You are entitled to your opinion and I could be wrong but I wanted to explain the logic behind my current belief that we will see a T-Mobile branded model shortly after the holiday season. That way AT&T can get value from their exclusive during a high volume period and the currently known facts can be taken into account. .

There must be other reasons AT&T crippled the phone. It doesn't make sense to offer a flagship device with only 16GB flash, especially considering it has a 20MP camera and can record HD video. Forcing people to buy an SD card and deal with that... to save less than $5 in flash memory costs... just plain dumb.

Elop is not really a good CEO. He did his real job -- ruin Nokia. But that is all he seems capable of. The debacle with the ATT 1520 is just another flop from Eflop.

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Latest article on MyNokiaBlog as reported by wmpoweruser indicates that T-Mobile has no interest in carrying the new Nokia products, even after AT&T's exclusive expires. I was wrong if those sources are correct. Sounds like T-Mobile's decision. That could be good news if the RM-938 is actually released internationally and becomes available unlocked. I will keep the Negri Electronics site bookmarked to see if an international variant as described shows up unlocked in conjunction with the rollout of the 1520. They tend to be an early source for unlocked Nokia phones. Story could be wrong and decisions can change but not holding my breath. Keep an eye on the band coverage of the international variants that are released now.

maui911

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Even though T-Mobile won't officially sell it, hopefully an unlocked RM-938 version will still work on the network. They don't sell the 1020 either, but an unlocked Rogers model should work on T-Mobile.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Whose LTE would that work on?
For 3G, I assume it is HSPA not CDMA, yes? So whose HSPA would it work on (AT&T or T-Mobile)? How about 2G for calls?

Janak Patel

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of T-Mobile getting it or not I am through with AT&T. They wouldn't unlock my iPhone because I had 3 hours left in my contract and have been with them for 14 (Cingular) years. I am sure the way T-Mobile is increasing market share they will have something and if not my 521 will do for next few months then I'll get the 925. Tmobile is much better than at&t and WiFi calling rocks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6