Nokia Developer more force to Lumia1520 at T-Mobile with 32GB and Wireless Charging

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Like the previous poster, strike one with AT$T was their refusal to unlock my iPhone prior to my Canadian vacation.

Strike two was when their store refused to sell me a 920 off-contract.

Strike three was discovering that I could get service on T-Mo for half the monthly nut. The fact that T-Mo's data speed wad twice AT$T's in my area was just gravy.

I paid the ETF to get off AT$T and was money ahead in four months.

It's not that T-Mo hasn't got some serious problems of their own, and shopping for phones with magic. AWS bands is a pain, but with stunts like the dumbed-down 1520, I'm still not feeling the need to double my monthly bill and fo back to a carrier that is so blatantly hostile to their own customers.

I'll eventually probably end up paying premium prices to Negri, but it'll still be cheaper than giving the death star my custom.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's it, 5 months on T-Mobile is enough for me. I have been struggling with terrible coverage here in WA. And now that they are not getting any new Windows Phones the decision is made. Back to AT&T. I should have realized I'd get what I paid for on T-Mobile. I want to save money, but it just isn't worth it in this case. Hope they learn their lesson someday.
Before you go back to AT&T take a look at Straight Talk..

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Will the 1520 global variant use at&t LTE.
RM-937 Global variant, LTE 1 3 7 8 20
RM-938 US variant - Went through FCC, LTE 2 4 5 17
RM-939 China variant
RM-940 AT&T, Went through FCC, DTM removed, no Qi charging, LTE band 4 disabled, 16GB, LTE 2 5 17

The RM-937, the globel, variant will not have any LTE bands for US carriers.
For use in the US you need the RM-938.
When and where it will be released, no news yet.
Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 1520

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Why so much buthurt about the 16 GB onboard memory? I'm sure it was to keep the price down. Besides you can go out and buy a 64GB SDHC and store your images, videos, and music on that. I initially thought it was a pretty crappy move on the part of AT@T but upon greater reflection I realize shaving $50 to $100 off the price of the phone would go a long ways to ensuring it is a success. An initial price of $200 with contract is doable. These aren't iphones. If you wait a few months the price will drop even more. I just don't have any interest in paying $300 for a phone on contract. When this thing is at $150 on contract I will purchase.

The wireless charging thing is a bit tricky. Each standard has it's pros and cons. Maybe in a few months they will come with at@t approved wireless charging built in. That would be idea.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Nokia has announced several days ago that ATT will get the 32GB version sometime soon so I am hoping by the end of March when I am due for an upgrade

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
One of my bigger storage demands on my phone is audio books, as loaded by the Audible app. These books cannot be stored on an SD card. (Typically, they show up under "other" storage)

16GB makes a big difference to me.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Before you go back to AT&T take a look at Straight Talk..

Dusteater, you could also consider Aio Wireless. I have an unlocked, international version of the Lumia 620 that I use as a backup phone. I tried it with T-Mobile, but the coverage where I am was horrible. Switched to Aio Wireless, which is owned by AT&T and has AT&T's coverage, and it works great. The only thing missing is visual voicemail, but I believe Aio is working on that. My primary phone is a Lumia 920 on AT&T.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If all this is correct the quiestion is still there. Why did Nokia send the RM-938 through the FCC?
Nokia still lists it as a US varint, 32GB with Qi charging with LTE 2 4 5 17 bands.
Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 1520
We will just have to wait and see.

That's what I've been wondering. It's already been announced that AT&T will release a 32GB version in the future, but I can't imagine that the RM-938 is it because of the built-in Qi charging. If AT&T removed the Qi charging from it's current 16 GB 1520 because it supports PMA, then it doesn't make much sense for it to add the Qi charging back to its 32 GB 1520. It also doesn't make sense that they would re-enable the LTE 4 band on the 32 GB phone. Where could this RM-938 possibly materialize in the U.S. marketplace? Aio wireless? Or as an unlocked phone sold through retailers? Unfortunately, I'm not patient enough to wait for this mystery phone. I've already pre-ordered a 1520 from AT&T. :smile: 16 GB internal storage (plus microSD and SkyDrive) is plenty for my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel