11-18-2013 10:29 AM
72 123
tools
    Didn't want to blow anyone's spot but, the ATT video for the 1520 shows both bullet points and the editing of a PowerPoint
    11-04-2013 09:48 PM
    Didn't want to blow anyone's spot but, the ATT video for the 1520 shows both bullet points and the editing of a PowerPoint
    I'm glad you did, because it misinforms the casual browsers or those that are interested in the platform just because someone didn't take the time to figure it out. I understand not being able to figure something out so you write it off, but posting false things on a message board made for fans of the platform AND those that are interested is a no go
    11-04-2013 09:54 PM
    I agree with your sentiment
    ...it just didn't make any sense to me that on Microsoft's OS an app under the Office brand would be nothing more than a glorified presentation viewer
    glad it turned out to be not true as Office is one of the biggest selling points driving my decision to switch to the 1520 from my note 2

11-04-2013 10:17 PM
    Its nnot just a phone, its a phablet. And to answer your question with that being said, same point to having two apps open on a tablet
    The only reason why it's called a phablet is because the size is similar to a tablet, not because it offers same productivity. I've never seen anyone doing anything productive on a large phone. A tablet with a keyboard can replace a laptop in limited situations, but a phone? Not really.
    11-05-2013 12:08 AM
    ...it just didn't make any sense to me that on Microsoft's OS an app under the Office brand would be nothing more than a glorified presentation viewer
    glad it turned out to be not true as Office is one of the biggest selling points driving my decision to switch to the 1520 from my note 2

Yea, I just checked and it's exactly the same on the 920. My only point is that the extra real estate is not being used for anything more than making everything look bigger. All you can do in that powerpoint editing is add text. You can't change the bullet points, you can't set up transitions, you can't create powerpoints, trust me, it is REALLY basic. But I am holding out hope that windows phone 8.1 will get a full revamp of Office. Maybe it'll share code with the new Windows 8 metro Office apps :D
    11-05-2013 12:31 AM
    That's great what you could accomplish on the Note, but don't lie. You can EASILY put bullets in your notes in OneNote. I don't care what y'all feel about the competition or this platform, but don't lie because you didn't take the time to figure it out. You hit those three dots, go to format, and there's your bullet list.

Smh
    I am talking about Word.
    11-05-2013 04:44 AM
    In Word you can use the templates to get bullet points, deleting what you don't need, but yeah, they should add the option to start with them. You can vary font size, color, and style, but not the actual font. It does need the ability to insert pictures also. In general, I would say it's good enough to start most projects so that you can take them to the PC and finish formatting. But for the person doing the lab report, using the report template would probably have helped. They do need to enhance the experience for Office so that phones like this can become the ultimate Office on the go device for those that can't carry a tablet with them.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-05-2013 05:07 AM
    That's great what you could accomplish on the Note, but don't lie. You can EASILY put bullets in your notes in OneNote. I don't care what y'all feel about the competition or this platform, but don't lie because you didn't take the time to figure it out. You hit those three dots, go to format, and there's your bullet list.

Smh
    They were referring to Word not OneNote.
    11-05-2013 06:37 AM
    From what I understand about the mobile form of Office is that it's about being used more as a reviewer rather than a full blown editor. From what I've come to understand is that MS believes there's a device for every purpose. They don't see a mobile as being a productivity tool, more of a review tool. Tablet is more for productivity and a laptop/desktop is for full production.

That's my take on it anyway.
    11-05-2013 06:40 AM
    Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.
    I use the Excel (in a simple way) every day, updating a pre-written spreadsheet saved in SkyDrive and it works well. I would agree that Excel seems the most powerful of the bundled programmes. Word is disappointing, but I don't know how much patience I would have in trying to create or edit a Word doc on my phone - 920, it's too small for me. I wonder whether there is a plan to add more functions in Office so that larger screened and better spec'd phones can make use of it?

But you're right, it's disappointing to find how little can be done in them especially as this is one of the reasons I sold the idea to myself of a jump from Android...!
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-05-2013 06:59 AM
    For those of you who have complaints about the WP version of MS Office, please be sure to give MS your feedback. Mentioning it on here does nothing to help MS get off their *** to fix it.
    11-05-2013 07:29 AM
    From what I understand about the mobile form of Office is that it's about being used more as a reviewer rather than a full blown editor. From what I've come to understand is that MS believes there's a device for every purpose. They don't see a mobile as being a productivity tool, more of a review tool. Tablet is more for productivity and a laptop/desktop is for full production.

That's my take on it anyway.
    I think you're right, but the same way they are marketing the surface as the tablet for "productivity" compared with the ipad and android tablets, I would like to see some direction being taken with windows phone. Either as the best of productivity or whatever. Microsoft never advertises windows phone on TV, except for carrier ads of the 1020. Last year's campaign of "good for moms because of kids corner" was stupid.
    11-05-2013 01:09 PM
    Wow that video was annoying. Reason for 16GB? AT&T locker (which probably sucks compared to Skydrive). Reason for PMA? Sell you stupid accessories. Good god. There's nothing about this phone that is more productive than any other WP with GDR3.
    11-05-2013 06:32 PM
    I find the screen size an advantage for larger people, I'll still be able to one hand operate it, remember the titans :D
    11-05-2013 06:42 PM
    I have 227gb of skydrive

att locker is getting deleted on day 1
    PeltFrelken likes this.
    11-05-2013 06:51 PM
    I like this for the media consumption aspect. Having recently come from large phones, including the note 2 and 6.44" Sony Xperia Z Ultra, I've become a fan of big screens.

One thing I noted was how little I even used "apps" on the Sony. With a large high res screen I spent most of my time surfing full desktop sites, reading, and watching videos. Exactly what's they're intended for and why I think folks like these "phablets."

Could you be more productive with a big screen? Probably. But I'd rather grab my ultrabook for real work. ☺

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    hipporama likes this.
    11-06-2013 08:42 PM
    Wait you got a 1520 too? do you work for At&t.
    Uhh no.... but i visit wpcentral daily which has news, videos, previews of windows phones. Have you heard of it?
    11-08-2013 09:16 AM

Did anyone notice the incipio wireless charging cover? Well it came attached with a small yet pretty important disclaimer. PMA is not compatible with any previous nokia charging accessory. This is pretty nuts because if you have invested in qi charging pads you will not be able to use them with this cover. Another reason to consider the unlocked international version.
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-10-2013 06:16 AM
    Don't expect 8.1 to change anything. People expected 8 to be a game changer. It wasn't. It didn't even support the latest hardware available. The Amber update also barely did anything. Now GDR3 comes along and it still doesn't have a notification center. Expecting any sort of multitasking or better utilization of larger displays in 8.1 is yet another pipedream that probably won't be realized until WP 9.5 Dingleberry.
    11-10-2013 09:55 AM
    Don't expect 8.1 to change anything. People expected 8 to be a game changer. It wasn't. It didn't even support the latest hardware available. The Amber update also barely did anything. Now GDR3 comes along and it still doesn't have a notification center. Expecting any sort of multitasking or better utilization of larger displays in 8.1 is yet another pipedream that probably won't be realized until WP 9.5 Dingleberry.
    Have you seen shimmerblack screenshots?
    11-10-2013 10:01 AM
    Why do we always have to repeat: GDR's are SMALL updates. 8.1 is LARGE.
    hipporama likes this.
    11-10-2013 10:02 AM
    "probably won't be"

What I am hearing here is you have no idea either way right?
    11-10-2013 10:09 AM
    You got to be kidding. GDR2 was huge in terms of functionality for those of us with Lumia devices at least, some of the features like the glance screen and the tap to wake are very useful additions. Another example is changing the display calibration.

And by the way, WP8 did support the latest hardware at the time of the launch, name just one phone with a 1080p screen and a better processor that was launched at that time. The first phones like that like the HTC DNA were launched a few months later and it took until the spring until the big sellers like the Samsung S4 , HTC One or Sony Z launched. Before this, the Galaxy S3 used the same Snapdragon S4 as we had in the Lumina 820 or 920.
    11-10-2013 10:52 AM
    Those huge updates for Lumias was Amber, not GDR2.
    11-10-2013 11:52 AM
    Nokia surely prefers quality and well made device. What about their WP app market? Is it any good? Is getting Lumia 1520 for casual gaming a good decision?
    11-10-2013 12:47 PM
72 123