What's the point of this device?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I would have thought the advantages were obvious but obviously some are not quite grasping it, never the less I will list a handful:
Typing will be easier and hopefully more precise - WP onscreen keyboards are considered by many to be the best in the industry. A wider, taller screen will take advantage of this. Yes, landscape mode you will still have unused space but most people type with the phone in normal portrait style.

Pictures and videos are going to be nicer to view, coupled with the 1080p resolution

Of course we'll have the extra row of tiles, a bonus.

As regards digitizer, I personally think they are a novelty. I have a Sony Vaio Multi-flip PC with a digitizer and I used it for 3 days and then put it in my draw where it has been ever since (around 2 weeks ago)

So yeah. This is my personal opinion anyway. Still won't stop me from ordering one as soon as its available. Its going to be great.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I really don't get it ...Office on Windows Phone should be THE one thing that propels the platform to center stage
just imagine how many businesses would switch if mobile office had desktop class functions

...I don't understand why m$ doesn't put more effort into it

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I would have thought the advantages were obvious but obviously some are not quite grasping it, never the less I will list a handful:
Typing will be easier and hopefully more precise - WP onscreen keyboards are considered by many to be the best in the industry. A wider, taller screen will take advantage of this. Yes, landscape mode you will still have unused space but most people type with the phone in normal portrait style.

Pictures and videos are going to be nicer to view, coupled with the 1080p resolution

Of course we'll have the extra row of tiles, a bonus.

As regards digitizer, I personally think they are a novelty. I have a Sony Vaio Multi-flip PC with a digitizer and I used it for 3 days and then put it in my draw where it has been ever since (around 2 weeks ago)

So yeah. This is my personal opinion anyway. Still won't stop me from ordering one as soon as its available. Its going to be great.

I have no issues with the keyboard on my 920, can't imagine blowing it up even more will make it signifcantly better. And I mean, how often do you really watch movies/videos on your phone? Youtube/metrotube doesn't even support 1080p, so that's not much better.

I think the benefits of the extra row of tiles and the digitizer are personal opinions for sure, but there's no doubt that the OS should be heavily improved for such beastly hardware. I completely agree that the 1520 is a beast, but without a more productive operating system, it just seems like I'm sacrificing portability for no improvement in productivity.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does word not even format correctly? I don't think I've ever been able to realistically work on a document in it. It's pretty useless
Yep, Word formatting was way off for my usual template, in particular I found the way it wraps sentences to be annoying. I'm pretty sure it offers less functionality than many notepad applications. They really need to add style support, which I'd argue is the easiest way to bring advanced formatting to mobile form factors. Configure templates with styles on the desktop (think subheader, paragraph, bulleted list with desired indentation, code) then easily toggle between the styles on your phone.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note 2, it's pretty useful. I did stuff like chatting with friends while watching videos, or wrote notes for a web page I had open in the browser.
It may not be the most useful feature on a small phone, but it's pretty good on a phablet.

Besides, Windows Phone is still missing A LOT. On the Note 2, I wrote a big text document and formatted it properly, while on my Lumia 920 I can't even create a bullet list, or create a table, or change the font, or insert a picture...

Honestly, I was very disappointed by how limited Windows Phone's Office is. Productivity my ***.

That's great what you could accomplish on the Note, but don't lie. You can EASILY put bullets in your notes in OneNote. I don't care what y'all feel about the competition or this platform, but don't lie because you didn't take the time to figure it out. You hit those three dots, go to format, and there's your bullet list.

Smh

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Didn't want to blow anyone's spot but, the ATT video for the 1520 shows both bullet points and the editing of a PowerPoint

I'm glad you did, because it misinforms the casual browsers or those that are interested in the platform just because someone didn't take the time to figure it out. I understand not being able to figure something out so you write it off, but posting false things on a message board made for fans of the platform AND those that are interested is a no go

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with your sentiment
...it just didn't make any sense to me that on Microsoft's OS an app under the Office brand would be nothing more than a glorified presentation viewer
glad it turned out to be not true as Office is one of the biggest selling points driving my decision to switch to the 1520 from my note 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvALBeZV4e0

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Its nnot just a phone, its a phablet. And to answer your question with that being said, same point to having two apps open on a tablet

The only reason why it's called a phablet is because the size is similar to a tablet, not because it offers same productivity. I've never seen anyone doing anything productive on a large phone. A tablet with a keyboard can replace a laptop in limited situations, but a phone? Not really.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with your sentiment
...it just didn't make any sense to me that on Microsoft's OS an app under the Office brand would be nothing more than a glorified presentation viewer
glad it turned out to be not true as Office is one of the biggest selling points driving my decision to switch to the 1520 from my note 2

Nokia Lumia 1520 - YouTube

Yea, I just checked and it's exactly the same on the 920. My only point is that the extra real estate is not being used for anything more than making everything look bigger. All you can do in that powerpoint editing is add text. You can't change the bullet points, you can't set up transitions, you can't create powerpoints, trust me, it is REALLY basic. But I am holding out hope that windows phone 8.1 will get a full revamp of Office. Maybe it'll share code with the new Windows 8 metro Office apps :D

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's great what you could accomplish on the Note, but don't lie. You can EASILY put bullets in your notes in OneNote. I don't care what y'all feel about the competition or this platform, but don't lie because you didn't take the time to figure it out. You hit those three dots, go to format, and there's your bullet list.

Smh

I am talking about Word.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In Word you can use the templates to get bullet points, deleting what you don't need, but yeah, they should add the option to start with them. You can vary font size, color, and style, but not the actual font. It does need the ability to insert pictures also. In general, I would say it's good enough to start most projects so that you can take them to the PC and finish formatting. But for the person doing the lab report, using the report template would probably have helped. They do need to enhance the experience for Office so that phones like this can become the ultimate Office on the go device for those that can't carry a tablet with them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Smh

They were referring to Word not OneNote.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand about the mobile form of Office is that it's about being used more as a reviewer rather than a full blown editor. From what I've come to understand is that MS believes there's a device for every purpose. They don't see a mobile as being a productivity tool, more of a review tool. Tablet is more for productivity and a laptop/desktop is for full production.

That's my take on it anyway.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.

I use the Excel (in a simple way) every day, updating a pre-written spreadsheet saved in SkyDrive and it works well. I would agree that Excel seems the most powerful of the bundled programmes. Word is disappointing, but I don't know how much patience I would have in trying to create or edit a Word doc on my phone - 920, it's too small for me. I wonder whether there is a plan to add more functions in Office so that larger screened and better spec'd phones can make use of it?

But you're right, it's disappointing to find how little can be done in them especially as this is one of the reasons I sold the idea to myself of a jump from Android...!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who have complaints about the WP version of MS Office, please be sure to give MS your feedback. Mentioning it on here does nothing to help MS get off their *** to fix it.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand about the mobile form of Office is that it's about being used more as a reviewer rather than a full blown editor. From what I've come to understand is that MS believes there's a device for every purpose. They don't see a mobile as being a productivity tool, more of a review tool. Tablet is more for productivity and a laptop/desktop is for full production.

That's my take on it anyway.

I think you're right, but the same way they are marketing the surface as the tablet for "productivity" compared with the ipad and android tablets, I would like to see some direction being taken with windows phone. Either as the best of productivity or whatever. Microsoft never advertises windows phone on TV, except for carrier ads of the 1020. Last year's campaign of "good for moms because of kids corner" was stupid.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow that video was annoying. Reason for 16GB? AT&T locker (which probably sucks compared to Skydrive). Reason for PMA? Sell you stupid accessories. Good god. There's nothing about this phone that is more productive than any other WP with GDR3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss