What's the point of this device?

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I like this for the media consumption aspect. Having recently come from large phones, including the note 2 and 6.44" Sony Xperia Z Ultra, I've become a fan of big screens.

One thing I noted was how little I even used "apps" on the Sony. With a large high res screen I spent most of my time surfing full desktop sites, reading, and watching videos. Exactly what's they're intended for and why I think folks like these "phablets."

Could you be more productive with a big screen? Probably. But I'd rather grab my ultrabook for real work. ☺

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your sentiment
...it just didn't make any sense to me that on Microsoft's OS an app under the Office brand would be nothing more than a glorified presentation viewer
glad it turned out to be not true as Office is one of the biggest selling points driving my decision to switch to the 1520 from my note 2

Nokia Lumia 1520 AT&T Device Launch Video - YouTube

Did anyone notice the incipio wireless charging cover? Well it came attached with a small yet pretty important disclaimer. PMA is not compatible with any previous nokia charging accessory. This is pretty nuts because if you have invested in qi charging pads you will not be able to use them with this cover. Another reason to consider the unlocked international version.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't expect 8.1 to change anything. People expected 8 to be a game changer. It wasn't. It didn't even support the latest hardware available. The Amber update also barely did anything. Now GDR3 comes along and it still doesn't have a notification center. Expecting any sort of multitasking or better utilization of larger displays in 8.1 is yet another pipedream that probably won't be realized until WP 9.5 Dingleberry.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't expect 8.1 to change anything. People expected 8 to be a game changer. It wasn't. It didn't even support the latest hardware available. The Amber update also barely did anything. Now GDR3 comes along and it still doesn't have a notification center. Expecting any sort of multitasking or better utilization of larger displays in 8.1 is yet another pipedream that probably won't be realized until WP 9.5 Dingleberry.
Have you seen shimmerblack screenshots?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Why do we always have to repeat: GDR's are SMALL updates. 8.1 is LARGE.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

"probably won't be"

What I am hearing here is you have no idea either way right?

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You got to be kidding. GDR2 was huge in terms of functionality for those of us with Lumia devices at least, some of the features like the glance screen and the tap to wake are very useful additions. Another example is changing the display calibration.

And by the way, WP8 did support the latest hardware at the time of the launch, name just one phone with a 1080p screen and a better processor that was launched at that time. The first phones like that like the HTC DNA were launched a few months later and it took until the spring until the big sellers like the Samsung S4 , HTC One or Sony Z launched. Before this, the Galaxy S3 used the same Snapdragon S4 as we had in the Lumina 820 or 920.

Abdul9

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Nokia surely prefers quality and well made device. What about their WP app market? Is it any good? Is getting Lumia 1520 for casual gaming a good decision?
No you are better off with the 920 if you just want casual gaming but its a different thing if you are a hardcore smartphone gamer ;) One of the reasons i preordered the 1520 is so that i can enjoy my games on it, can't wait to get it on November 30th cos thats when its being released here in Germany.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
everyone that had been bragging about split screen, have they even used one before? Put the sluggish response aside, you are actually dividing 70% of the screen into two and makes it worse than a 3" screen for each of the windows...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
mhh you got a point, but if those requirement are your goal i suggest you to take a 8inch windows 8.1 tablet! after all 6 inch are too much a phone and doesn't pretty fit any normal sized jean's pocket, so you have to carry it in another way!
just because it's too much for you doesn't mean its too much for somebody else. You're entitled to your opinion of course but so is everyone else . As far as too big for jean's pockets I don't know. I never carry my phone in my pants pockets. Its in a silicone case in my shirt pocket or in a horizontal case on my belt. Ii's about a half inch wider than my 920 and a quarter inch or so taller. its not that big a deal. If you don't like phablets that's fine. Many many others like the phablet designs just look at the note, note 2 and note 3 sales figures for Samsung's devices. There's a market and Nokia is jumping in. Future designs will be improved upon by MS.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I've held the 1520, and it is a huge phone by any standard. Though some folks appreciate the larger screen, I find the phone a major inconvenience to carry considering the limited input capabilities. What boggles my mind is that Nokia and MS continue to release devices with less specs than the competition and expect to be successful, inspite of their limited app selection.

To Nokia/MS,
You have this huge phone and there are no features that you can promote over the well established competition. You knew this when you made the phone, yet you still didn't feel the need to implement any game changing technology. Considering your limited app selection and underwhelming specs for a behemoth of a phone, why would anyone choose your device over your competitors?

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've held the 1520, and it is a huge phone by any standard. Though some folks appreciate the larger screen, I find the phone a major inconvenience to carry considering the limited input capabilities. What boggles my mind is that Nokia and MS continue to release devices with less specs than the competition and expect to be successful, inspite of their limited app selection.

To Nokia/MS,
You have this huge phone and there are no features that you can promote over the well established competition. You knew this when you made the phone, yet you still didn't feel the need to implement any game changing technology. Considering your limited app selection and underwhelming specs for a behemoth of a phone, why would anyone choose your device over your competitors?

Underwhelming specs? It has basically the same specs as Note 3, G2, Xperia Z1, Z Ultra etc. And has a bigger battery.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

To Nokia/MS,

Yea...the specs are actually way more than any other phone out there. Best processor on the market, best camera on the market, best screen on the market, biggest battery on the market. It literally is an overspecced device. That being said, wp8 is an underwhelming OS for such a crazy specced device. The OS needs new features to promote. Nokia is already whipping the competition on hardware and specs.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The point of the 1520 is be in my pocket. I can't wait for it to cross the border. One red one please. That will be cash and don't wrap it.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Yea...the specs are actually way more than any other phone out there. Best processor on the market, best camera on the market, best screen on the market, biggest battery on the market. It literally is an overspecced device. That being said, wp8 is an underwhelming OS for such a crazy specced device. The OS needs new features to promote. Nokia is already whipping the competition on hardware and specs.

There is nothing overwhelming about the specs on this device. They are what any reasonable consumer should expect in a modern phablet device. Having nice hardware and no brains(OS) to run it is Useless(see post processing on Lumia cameras). Also, saying something is the best on the market doesn't make it so. I believe the reviews on release will confirm that.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing overwhelming about the specs on this device. They are what any reasonable consumer should expect in a modern phablet device. Having nice hardware and no brains(OS) to run it is Useless(see post processing on Lumia cameras). Also, saying something is the best on the market doesn't make it so. I believe the reviews on release will confirm that.

I am agreeing with you...the snapdragon 800 is the best processor on the market. And the assertive LCD they used is the best too, no doubt about it. Last year, the 920's 768p screen was the best screen of it's time. But you're right, the camera samples from the 20mp have been slightly underwhelming to me. But my main problem is also with the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb