What's the point of this device?

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I mean, the phone has a massive screen but what does it do to take advantage of it besides the extra row of tiles? I saw a video of a Note 3 (the phone I have) vs the 1520 and the 1520 seems to dwarf it. The note 3 has its share of multi-tasking goodies like split screen, etc that takes advantage of the size of screen, but I feel like the 1520 does none of that. It has no extra benefits than say the 1020 which to me seems like a missed opportunity. If the 1520 had some of those features the Surface tabs have, I'd be all over it

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
More real estate for my SharePoint forms without having to cary my tablet with me... That does it for me... That doesn't mean it's a reason for just everybody, but it sure increases my productivity

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It seems Nokia's hardware is ahead of the OS here. It should have a digitizer. Why? Because the competition does.

It seems that many will buy this on the hardware specs alone (first S800, 1080p "phablet" size WP). I am really on the fence, personally.

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree ^ the past updates from ms includes what we want. And if they keep up that, we'll be seeing better updates in the future, like the 8.1 future update

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Easier web browsing, better readability for PDF or any other document, easier to write with on-screen keyboard, overall better experience with watching videos and gaming. I have 920 and it's 4,5" screen is too small for painless web browsing and especially for PDF reading. I have to constantly zoom in and out and i have very good eyesight. Big screen FTW.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The point is to have a phone with the size of the competition, for which upcoming updates can enhance the experience. I mean at least the hardware is out of the way so now its up to the software.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I mean, the phone has a massive screen but what does it do to take advantage of it besides the extra row of tiles? I saw a video of a Note 3 (the phone I have) vs the 1520 and the 1520 seems to dwarf it. The note 3 has its share of multi-tasking goodies like split screen, etc that takes advantage of the size of screen, but I feel like the 1520 does none of that. It has no extra benefits than say the 1020 which to me seems like a missed opportunity. If the 1520 had some of those features the Surface tabs have, I'd be all over it

mhh you got a point, but if those requirement are your goal i suggest you to take a 8inch windows 8.1 tablet! after all 6 inch are too much a phone and doesn't pretty fit any normal sized jean's pocket, so you have to carry it in another way!

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note 2, it's pretty useful. I did stuff like chatting with friends while watching videos, or wrote notes for a web page I had open in the browser.
It may not be the most useful feature on a small phone, but it's pretty good on a phablet.

Besides, Windows Phone is still missing A LOT. On the Note 2, I wrote a big text document and formatted it properly, while on my Lumia 920 I can't even create a bullet list, or create a table, or change the font, or insert a picture...

Honestly, I was very disappointed by how limited Windows Phone's Office is. Productivity my ***.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note 2, it's pretty useful. I did stuff like chatting with friends while watching videos, or wrote notes for a web page I had open in the browser.
It may not be the most useful feature on a small phone, but it's pretty good on a phablet.

Besides, Windows Phone is still missing A LOT. On the Note 2, I wrote a big text document and formatted it properly, while on my Lumia 920 I can't even create a bullet list, or create a table, or change the font, or insert a picture...

Honestly, I was very disappointed by how limited Windows Phone's Office is. Productivity my ***.

How is it limited? I thought it was the closest thing to desktop class word processing/spreadsheets that you could get

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How is it limited? I thought it was the closest thing to desktop class word processing/spreadsheets that you could get

I have a list of things I didn?t find:

Word:

• Can?t even create a bullet list
  • Can?t change text alignment
  • Can?t change the font
  • Can?t insert an image in the document
  • VERY limited text/highlight color choices
OneNote:

• Can?t create a Notebook
  • Can?t create a Section
  • Very limited formatting options
PowerPoint support is non-existent, and I don?t use Excel, so can?t really comment on it.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a list of things I didn’t find:

Word:

• Can’t even create a bullet list
  • Can’t change text alignment
  • Can’t change the font
  • Can’t insert an image in the document
  • VERY limited text/highlight color choices
OneNote:

• Can’t create a Notebook
  • Can’t create a Section
  • Very limited formatting options
PowerPoint support is non-existent, and I don’t use Excel, so can’t really comment on it.

Is it just me or does word not even format correctly? I don't think I've ever been able to realistically work on a document in it. It's pretty useless

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
this is very disappointing news ...I was under the impression that office on windows phone would be the best document viewer/editor out there

I do however, recall seeing a video with a dedicated PowerPoint icon on the start screen

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
this is very disappointing news ...I was under the impression that office on windows phone would be the best document viewer/editor out there

I do however, recall seeing a video with a dedicated PowerPoint icon on the start screen

Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.
You can also add notes to the slideshow. Office is pretty useless though, I wanted to start my formal lab report on my phone at school after we had finished a lab but without indentions and bullets there was no point. One thing about typing with the tablet is the on screen keyboard doesn't take up the full screen side ways and I need the keys bigger which they may or may not do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb