1020 vs 1520: The Dilemma

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I love photography

I read your post and I'd recommend you to go for 1520 because its pretty obvious. It excels 1020 in almost every aspect except the pixel count and xenon flash (which is great for freezing motion), also its more future proof too. Also I don't know why someone hasn't mentioned this here that 1520 has RAW support while it'll be available to 1020 after it gets Black update. RAW support is the reason why you shouldn't worry much about the pixel count.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, and even after this latest wave of new devices (1520 etc) the 1020 still remains the king of the imaging arena. Just like their slogan "nothing else comes close" to the 1020's camera capabilities.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
5 second picture captures and last year's 1.5ghz dual-core krait make it a dinosaur. So does the 720p penTile. And yes, the manual controls do lag. This is why Windows Phone is always behind. Their users are largely tech-illiterate and aren't much better than iPhone users. MS and Nokia have finally caught up with their latest generation of phones. That's why there is this great dividing line that sets the 920/1020 apart from the 1520/929. As far as hardware goes (besides the camera of course), it is extinct, like the dinosaurs. And if you are gonna argue that it is "good enough", my 7 year old flip phone is also good enough for making phone calls.

you kind sir crack me up :) that's all I have to say :)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Go to AT&T hold a mega (Actually a tad larger than the 1520) and ask yourself if you want to be carrying around a phone this size as your daily driver. Then ask yourself how often the extra megapixels on the 1020 really make the difference. That's a good start on the road to the 1520. That's not what you asked.

I had the 1020 I gave it to my wife and got a 925 for me. Great camera on the 925 I believe it is closer to what we will see on the 1520. I use my camera for work I use my phone for work. I need to be able to take a low light picture open it in InNote and draw notes on the screen. That is an important feature to me at work. The 1520 with its large screen is better suited for me at my job. I am lucky in that my wife has the 1020 so she can take those family pictures and share them with me so I get the best of both worlds. For me I have already made the decision I gave up my 1020 to get a 1520.

5 second picture captures and last year's 1.5ghz dual-core krait make it a dinosaur. So does the 720p penTile. And yes, the manual controls do lag. This is why Windows Phone is always behind. Their users are largely tech-illiterate and aren't much better than iPhone users. MS and Nokia have finally caught up with their latest generation of phones. That's why there is this great dividing line that sets the 920/1020 apart from the 1520/929. As far as hardware goes (besides the camera of course), it is extinct, like the dinosaurs. And if you are gonna argue that it is "good enough", my 7 year old flip phone is also good enough for making phone calls.

I think you need a review on technology. Overbuilt spec machines that lag and need to be reset to make a phone call, no matter the specifications, are just a hard sell to people who have yet to experience an OS that can run fluidly on devices as spec deficient as a 520. Before you play the dinosaur card maybe you should try a 520 for a day than hit up a 1020. I think you will be pleasantly suppressed at how fluid and usable the OS is.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off PreJason- I am glad you stuck with the 1020. Overall, it sounded like you were trying to talk yourself into the better hardware of the 1520 while you were LOVING the 1020's performance. An excellent decision. You stuck with your gut, and you will enjoy the L1020. I am sure of it.

@Dave Blake- you stole my points!!! The Galaxy Mega is an excellent example of the physical size of the 1520. Those are at every AT&T store and will settle a ton of debates for some users. If the Mega is too big, then the 1520 will be too big. If you love the size, then find a 1520 and try out the camera, screen, performance, so on so forth.

After messing around with the Mega recently, I think it is just a bit too much for this 5'6" short guy who carries all his important items -phone, keys, wallet- in his front pockets.

I still want to play with it, though.......

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Man, You never had an 1020, right? It's faster than every iOS or Android Phone.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Man, You never had an 1020, right? It's faster than every iOS or Android Phone.

Yup, my dual core and 1GB Ram 920 is much faster than my quad core 2GB ram nexus 4. For some reason, one year after the android device comes out, and using the latest update, it is very laggy.

rob_marley

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Please don't be a spec **** like other Android Users. WP8 is designed in such a way that the entire OS remains fluid whatever you throw at it. I believe that the 1020 is a much much better device than the 1520.
Reasons
1. It doesnt really matter if you have a 1080p on a 6 inch. The pixel density is similar to the one on the 1020. Not to mention carrying around a 6 inch phone in your jeans pocket.
2. Snapdragon 800 on WP8 ? Why do you need so much power ? That's like driving a Bugatti veyron on streets of Mumbai !
3. The 1020 camera <3
4. App availability would remain the same across almost all WP8 phone. Even the updates.

The only reason why someone would consider the 1520 over the 1020 is the battery and the SD card expansion possibilities. But then again, I have a 64 GB 1020 and my battery lasts one day on 4G.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, all these replies have me thinking my concerns about the 1020 hardware are silly now!! :confused:

Not silly at all. As Android has had problems with updates on devices often less then a year old, often iPhones run worse once updated to the latest iOS, and WP left "7" users behind due to incompatibility with the 1st/2nd Gen hardware, it is a legitimate concern. But MS and Nokia are serious about support, and the specs on WP 8 devices will continue to be supported and will run well. That camera is unmatched, and they device works great as a smartphone.

If you are interested, buy and do not worry. That monster will treat you right.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would take the camera out of your decision making. No phone camera will give you a stand alone camera quality. That being said the difference between the 1520 and the 1020 won't be that great, in my opinion, if at all. The real question you should have is about the size which will be a big factor for everyone. If you can handle that then the increase in the other specs should make the 1520 an easy choice.

trseattle

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Excellent discussion. Thanks everyone for input. Both great devices, I just ordered 1520. The size will allow me to lose iPad mini and use my Surface Pro 2 as primary work device. Can't wait for that dock either.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I played with both quite a bit today at an AT&T store and to be honest, I like the 1520 camera better. Why? If I manually adjusted settings for a couple minutes on the 1020, I could get a better photo from it, but left on auto settings, the 1520 takes way better photos, at least in the store lighting. The 1020 photos looked terrible on auto settings. Everything was yellowish and looked completely different than actuality. The 1520 was spot on using auto settings. The 1520 could also snap pictures quite a bit faster. I would rather have a phone camera that I can pull out and quickly snap a few great shots than one that can take better shots, but requires manual adjustment to do so and has a slow shot to shot time. I feel like I would miss a lot of shots with the 1020 because of that.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Gtg456x, that's interesting what you day about picture quality in automatic mode I wonder if the better quality on the 1520 has anything to do with the Nokia Black update that's already on the 1520 (if I'm right).
Anyway, have fun with this bad boy! 😊

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
If you like good camera, easy one handed operations, come join me in the 1020.

If you like screen estate to be good in order to compete with lagdroids and settle with 1520's camera (its still a beast) go with 1520.

Don't talk about specs or having good hardware makes you 'future-proof'. You are using Windows Phone 8 FFS. We here doesn't need fancy gimmicks to run smooth nor worries about getting forgotten in the future updates - we will receive them.

More cores means lesser battery life fyi.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Morning all... So here she goes...

Last Saturday (11-3) I made my first jump into the world of WP and purchased a black 1020 from AT&T. I have had my eyes on it since it's release but given that I live in the Google Eco system both personally and professionally I couldn't bring myself to make the jump. But I love photography and had to see how good the camera is on this phone. IT'S AWESOME!! Let me also say after spending the last few days running the 1020 through the gauntlet it is a solid piece of hardware. The software is fluid although I keep finding myself swiping down to change the wifi or other settings like in the Android OS but needless to say the learning curve was short. I digress.... lol

Back on subject. Which brings me to the 1520. We all know the specs and only a fool would argue that the 1520 isn't the sexiest looking hardware to date (IMO). Coming from Android where I was rocking a quad-core, 16 MP, 5.5 inch True 1080P display with removable battery, I know that the 1520 will be a beast. One could argue bigger screen etc. The 1020's screen size is actually quite refreshing since I have only held 5+ inch devices the last couple of years. Not to mention the camera grip which connects the 1020 to my tripod and really gives the look and feel of a hand held camera. It truly is a dream to have a cell phone with such high quality imaging capabilities.

But again... The quad-core cpu's really speed things up on a cell phone. I have about 6 days to decide whether to return the 1020 and go the route of the 1520. Quad-core vs. Dual Core. 20 MP vs 41 MP. I love the photos on the 1020... What would you do?
What do you mean by "True" 1080p? Are all the others just fake?

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For sure choose the 1520:
1- quad core is better and with wo 8.1 you will need this power.

2-HD LCD screen is sharper and "SMOOTHER" than 1020.
SMOOTHER..... Puremotion HD+ designed for LCD not amoled and Nokia is making mistake for marketing 1020 as Puremotion HD+

3-the camera is not that much different. 20 MP is more than enough.

4-Screen is bigger and better for watching videos and films.

5-Now is the most important point, this point you should consider seriously... BATTERY LIFE of the lumia 1520 is better.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For those who says dont look for the specs and CPU power because WP doesn't need much, this is wrong, try to run games on any WP and you will notice some lag and much much heat with high battery drain more than it should be, also future WP 8.1 with real multitasking, all these are reasons why you will need the quad core CPU

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb