1020 vs 1520: The Dilemma

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I posted the exact same thing. It's not noticeably faster at all. Someone theorized that GDR3 only enabled quad core compatibility and that 8.1 will optimize it. And until there is some incentive to go for the more powerful model, I'm fine with my 920 here :)

I wonder why others have thought it so much faster. I had preordered the 1520, but I am going to cancel it. Maybe AT&T will get a variant of the 5" WP8 phone Verizon is getting. Then, I may reconsider. Probably the best bet it to wait for 8.1. Perhaps, but doubtful an update would make it actually go faster. We all know the CPU is capable.

Vincent Poppo

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I just have a question because I have been looking at both phones and the 1520 is larger but to me the 1020 does have somewhat outdated tech and the way I see it Windows phone is going to have to be more graphic orientated to attract new users much like Android and ios and I am not sure the hardware on the 1020 can handle it - the first couple updates will be smooth but your talking a two year commitment. The other problem I see is with the Black update both phones get the raw ability. Because there is no expandable memory on the 1020 and I believe that leaves you with about 25 -28 gigs of space after the OS - I would think your going to burn up that memory pretty quick needing to upload in order to create space before you can continue - if your traveling or something and not near your computer kind of screwed. At least with the 1520 you can carry extra cards with you.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing you can do on that huge phone that you can't do on the 1020. However, the size advantage the 1020 has in portability is negated by it's slippery surface and the large annoying hump on the back. So if you want a bigger screen I'd go with the 1520. Personally, I think the l920 is still the best device WP has produced, in spite of it's weight and quality control issues.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I know most people disagree with the "dinosaur" reply, but I was thinking about 1020 vs. 1520, and I feel pretty much the same about it.
I always keep my phones for a long time, so I have to choose carefully, as it'll be with me for a long time.
I have a N8 right now. I love it, but since I bought it I miss a bigger screen and battery (I know Symbian isn't resource hungry, but I think the battery could be better since day one). The camera is awesome, and I specially like the xenon flash. The fact that the phone is always with me was the reason to buy the best cameraphone at the time.
I'm gonna miss those frozen dinner and party pictures thanks to xenon, but they are like 10 percent of what I shoot, so the 1520 will be good enough. At least, Nokia's dual led flash is pretty fast. The battery is also a good 1400 mAh bigger. I'd really like the best camera possible on a bigger screen and battery, but I understand it's impossible to put everything in a phone. For me, the 1520 feels like a better choice, and yes, the 1020 may be a bit of a dinosaur for me.

The most natural upgrade from an N8 is the 808... its much better in almost all aspects, including the camera.

algs26

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I played around with a 1020 and the 1520 and I definitely noticed the difference in rendering web pages where raw horsepower makes a difference. The shot to shot time was much better too but that was probably partially due to the lower MP images. Nothing can replace a xenon flash when you need it though which is why I still break out my N8 occasionally.

What difference does a Snapdragon 800 make to Windows Phone performance? - YouTube

Last edited:

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Two days before I played with the 1520 vs 1020 vs 920 game lol in a nokia store in bangkok .

I dint find the 1520 super fast or anything relatively compared to 1020 or 920 ..I mean there is no huge difference .

But the 1520 packs the latest hardware which is good for future updates , so if someone is ok with the size and a bit inferior camera then 1520 is the way to go . The phone is huge but it's thin , sleek and sexy with superb built quality .

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just have a question because I have been looking at both phones and the 1520 is larger but to me the 1020 does have somewhat outdated tech and the way I see it Windows phone is going to have to be more graphic orientated to attract new users much like Android and ios and I am not sure the hardware on the 1020 can handle it - the first couple updates will be smooth but your talking a two year commitment. The other problem I see is with the Black update both phones get the raw ability. Because there is no expandable memory on the 1020 and I believe that leaves you with about 25 -28 gigs of space after the OS - I would think your going to burn up that memory pretty quick needing to upload in order to create space before you can continue - if your traveling or something and not near your computer kind of screwed. At least with the 1520 you can carry extra cards with you.

Unless you're going to shoot everything RAW, you have lots of space on a 1020 for pictures. Like a couple thousand pictures. Plus AT&T Locker can upload the high res images and phriz.be can email them, if you wanna clear some space in a hurry.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
While I love everything about the 1520, I can't say that I am completely impressed with the camera. I think that I need to learn how to tinker with the settings in order to get better results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss