11-25-2013 05:57 PM
69 123
tools
    5 second picture captures and last year's 1.5ghz dual-core krait make it a dinosaur. So does the 720p penTile. And yes, the manual controls do lag. This is why Windows Phone is always behind. Their users are largely tech-illiterate and aren't much better than iPhone users. MS and Nokia have finally caught up with their latest generation of phones. That's why there is this great dividing line that sets the 920/1020 apart from the 1520/929. As far as hardware goes (besides the camera of course), it is extinct, like the dinosaurs. And if you are gonna argue that it is "good enough", my 7 year old flip phone is also good enough for making phone calls.
    Man, You never had an 1020, right? It's faster than every iOS or Android Phone.
    11-09-2013 01:21 PM
    Man, You never had an 1020, right? It's faster than every iOS or Android Phone.
    Yup, my dual core and 1GB Ram 920 is much faster than my quad core 2GB ram nexus 4. For some reason, one year after the android device comes out, and using the latest update, it is very laggy.
    11-09-2013 01:23 PM
    Hmmm, all these replies have me thinking my concerns about the 1020 hardware are silly now!!
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-09-2013 01:31 PM
    Please don't be a spec **** like other Android Users. WP8 is designed in such a way that the entire OS remains fluid whatever you throw at it. I believe that the 1020 is a much much better device than the 1520.
    Reasons
    1. It doesnt really matter if you have a 1080p on a 6 inch. The pixel density is similar to the one on the 1020. Not to mention carrying around a 6 inch phone in your jeans pocket.
    2. Snapdragon 800 on WP8 ? Why do you need so much power ? That's like driving a Bugatti veyron on streets of Mumbai !
    3. The 1020 camera <3
    4. App availability would remain the same across almost all WP8 phone. Even the updates.

The only reason why someone would consider the 1520 over the 1020 is the battery and the SD card expansion possibilities. But then again, I have a 64 GB 1020 and my battery lasts one day on 4G.
    Last edited by rob_marley; 11-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    11-09-2013 03:18 PM
    Hmmm, all these replies have me thinking my concerns about the 1020 hardware are silly now!!

Not silly at all. As Android has had problems with updates on devices often less then a year old, often iPhones run worse once updated to the latest iOS, and WP left "7" users behind due to incompatibility with the 1st/2nd Gen hardware, it is a legitimate concern. But MS and Nokia are serious about support, and the specs on WP 8 devices will continue to be supported and will run well. That camera is unmatched, and they device works great as a smartphone.

If you are interested, buy and do not worry. That monster will treat you right.
    matthoms, xandros9 and jpeg42 like this.
    11-09-2013 03:59 PM
    I would take the camera out of your decision making. No phone camera will give you a stand alone camera quality. That being said the difference between the 1520 and the 1020 won't be that great, in my opinion, if at all. The real question you should have is about the size which will be a big factor for everyone. If you can handle that then the increase in the other specs should make the 1520 an easy choice.
    11-09-2013 04:16 PM
    You shouldn't have any concerns. It is amazing and will be because the software is made to suit the phone.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-09-2013 07:37 PM
    Excellent discussion. Thanks everyone for input. Both great devices, I just ordered 1520. The size will allow me to lose iPad mini and use my Surface Pro 2 as primary work device. Can't wait for that dock either.
    matthoms and snowmutt like this.
    11-09-2013 07:55 PM
    I played with both quite a bit today at an AT&T store and to be honest, I like the 1520 camera better. Why? If I manually adjusted settings for a couple minutes on the 1020, I could get a better photo from it, but left on auto settings, the 1520 takes way better photos, at least in the store lighting. The 1020 photos looked terrible on auto settings. Everything was yellowish and looked completely different than actuality. The 1520 was spot on using auto settings. The 1520 could also snap pictures quite a bit faster. I would rather have a phone camera that I can pull out and quickly snap a few great shots than one that can take better shots, but requires manual adjustment to do so and has a slow shot to shot time. I feel like I would miss a lot of shots with the 1020 because of that.
    11-10-2013 03:36 AM
    Gtg456x, that's interesting what you day about picture quality in automatic mode I wonder if the better quality on the 1520 has anything to do with the Nokia Black update that's already on the 1520 (if I'm right).
    Anyway, have fun with this bad boy! 😊
    11-10-2013 04:13 AM
    If you like good camera, easy one handed operations, come join me in the 1020.

If you like screen estate to be good in order to compete with lagdroids and settle with 1520's camera (its still a beast) go with 1520.

Don't talk about specs or having good hardware makes you 'future-proof'. You are using Windows Phone 8 FFS. We here doesn't need fancy gimmicks to run smooth nor worries about getting forgotten in the future updates - we will receive them.

More cores means lesser battery life fyi.
    11-10-2013 09:34 AM
    Morning all... So here she goes...

Last Saturday (11-3) I made my first jump into the world of WP and purchased a black 1020 from AT&T. I have had my eyes on it since it's release but given that I live in the Google Eco system both personally and professionally I couldn't bring myself to make the jump. But I love photography and had to see how good the camera is on this phone. IT'S AWESOME!! Let me also say after spending the last few days running the 1020 through the gauntlet it is a solid piece of hardware. The software is fluid although I keep finding myself swiping down to change the wifi or other settings like in the Android OS but needless to say the learning curve was short. I digress.... lol

Back on subject. Which brings me to the 1520. We all know the specs and only a fool would argue that the 1520 isn't the sexiest looking hardware to date (IMO). Coming from Android where I was rocking a quad-core, 16 MP, 5.5 inch True 1080P display with removable battery, I know that the 1520 will be a beast. One could argue bigger screen etc. The 1020's screen size is actually quite refreshing since I have only held 5+ inch devices the last couple of years. Not to mention the camera grip which connects the 1020 to my tripod and really gives the look and feel of a hand held camera. It truly is a dream to have a cell phone with such high quality imaging capabilities.

But again... The quad-core cpu's really speed things up on a cell phone. I have about 6 days to decide whether to return the 1020 and go the route of the 1520. Quad-core vs. Dual Core. 20 MP vs 41 MP. I love the photos on the 1020... What would you do?
    What do you mean by "True" 1080p? Are all the others just fake?
    11-10-2013 11:23 AM
    For sure choose the 1520:
    1- quad core is better and with wo 8.1 you will need this power.

2-HD LCD screen is sharper and "SMOOTHER" than 1020.
    SMOOTHER..... Puremotion HD+ designed for LCD not amoled and Nokia is making mistake for marketing 1020 as Puremotion HD+

3-the camera is not that much different. 20 MP is more than enough.

4-Screen is bigger and better for watching videos and films.

5-Now is the most important point, this point you should consider seriously... BATTERY LIFE of the lumia 1520 is better.
    11-10-2013 11:49 AM
    For those who says dont look for the specs and CPU power because WP doesn't need much, this is wrong, try to run games on any WP and you will notice some lag and much much heat with high battery drain more than it should be, also future WP 8.1 with real multitasking, all these are reasons why you will need the quad core CPU
    Coolaaron88 likes this.
    11-10-2013 11:57 AM
    Did someone see this? Nokia Lumia 1520 and Nokia Rich Recording with four high performance microphones built-in.

11-10-2013 04:16 PM
    For those who says dont look for the specs and CPU power because WP doesn't need much, this is wrong, try to run games on any WP and you will notice some lag and much much heat with high battery drain more than it should be, also future WP 8.1 with real multitasking, all these are reasons why you will need the quad core CPU
    How would you know the multitasking will be changed in wp 8.1? I preordered a yellow 1520 but I hope ms will make the multitasking better, just not sure how much better it will get. There is some lag in games, and latency lag from touch input. Try dragging your finger across the touchscreen, and you will see a delay.
    11-10-2013 04:53 PM
    I would take the camera out of your decision making. No phone camera will give you a stand alone camera quality. That being said the difference between the 1520 and the 1020 won't be that great, in my opinion, if at all. The real question you should have is about the size which will be a big factor for everyone. If you can handle that then the increase in the other specs should make the 1520 an easy choice.
    the 1520 will never compare for me ...... it has no xenon flash for starters :-/ that for me puts the 1020 leaps and bounds ahead as I love the option of freezing the shot if need be in dim lighting instead of getting motion blur from the slightest movements , this is particularly true in pub type shots of friends etc
    husslord likes this.
    11-10-2013 04:58 PM
    No phone camera will give you a stand alone camera quality.
    My 1020 has a better Camera-Quality than all my stand alone Cameras. 1020 has also a bigger sensor.
    11-10-2013 06:31 PM
    How would you know the multitasking will be changed in wp 8.1? I preordered a yellow 1520 but I hope ms will make the multitasking better, just not sure how much better it will get. There is some lag in games, and latency lag from touch input. Try dragging your finger across the touchscreen, and you will see a delay.
    I read before that many sources talking about real multitasking in WP 8.1 and thats why Nokia added 2GB RAM to the 1020 and 1520, things should be better in the future, 8.1 may run many processes in the background instead of suspending it to improve the experience... History proofs that systems become more complicated and so needing more CPU and RAM...
    I think microsoft needs to reduce the switching time between apps and between apps and the start screen, transition graphics are smooth but taking long time to hide the lag..
    11-10-2013 06:49 PM
    If you carry a purse or handbag, will be using it at home a lot, or have a Bluetooth earpiece, I think you'll enjoy the device. But if you talk on this phone in public without a earpiece, you'll look ridiculous. I personally love the size if used as a second device
    metalchick719 likes this.
    11-11-2013 10:58 AM
    Its a general misconception that more mpix = bettery image quality.

The most important aspect in imaging is the size of the sensor, the part that collects light, the bigger that is, the more light it collects, which leads to less noise and more detail. Of course there are other components in play, but considering that most of them are pretty standard in phones these days, the sensor remains the most important of them all.

Now, how many pixels you decide to cut that sensor into is.. well.. up to the OEM. There is ongoing debate on pixel sizes vs. pixel density. Good examples of pixel dense camera are the Nokia 808, Nokia 1020, Nikon D800.. etc.

http://i.imgur.com/gxSzWSz.jpg

The 1520 has the same size sensor as the Z1.

Here is the appr. light gathering ability of each of those sensors.. BSI is taken under account but I think its rather generous.

http://i.imgur.com/6VyX9it.jpg

That being said, the 1020 has a much bigger sensor so.. in terms of image quality its better than the 1520 in every single aspect.

Now.. its all relevant.. the 1520 seems to have a very good camera package overall, except the flash.. in my opinion no xenon = no flash

Its perfectly fine for 99% of users out there..

This website is very informative, I recommend reading it to anyone who wants to know a bit more about all of this

http://6mpixel.org/en/
    Are you sure about this? This doesn't take into account pixel size or BSI. If you compensate for BSI which the industry average shows to be a 20% increase in light capture, then the 808 and 1020 should have identical light gathering values.

Also, the HTC One has gigantic pixels that can absorb a bunch of light, (admittedly, it still takes horrible pictures) but it doesn't make sense that it has the same light gathering capability as the 920/925.
    11-11-2013 05:21 PM
    I know many of you won't want to hear this and are going to bash me for saying it, but the 1020 runs on a very old processor and is fairly slow. The UI is fluid, but many apps aren't. I often get micro-stutters when scrolling websites etc. I never noticed until I got my Nexus 5 last week. So in this respect, I would definitely get the 1520. Much faster, faster camera performance, generally much more future-proof. I doubt the camera is going to be significantly worse, either. What you lose is half of the zooming capability, but you'll gain a drastically faster shot-to-shot speed.

I'll be selling my 1020 as soon as the 1520 arrives.
    11-12-2013 12:52 AM
    Also, the HTC One has gigantic pixels that can absorb a bunch of light, (admittedly, it still takes horrible pictures) but it doesn't make sense that it has the same light gathering capability as the 920/925.
    It's not just the size of the bucket that matters, the number of buckets matter as well. The HTC One is using the same 1/3" sensor as the 920/925. Arguably there may be some slight benefits in lowlight but when it comes to good lighting it falls very far short in capturing details hence its mediocre camera.
    11-12-2013 01:06 AM
    After reading two pages, I'm leaning towards the 1520. It's not my daily driver so I don't mind the size, plus it's replacing my Note. I'm getting mine tomorrow. Now the question is which color.
    11-12-2013 01:15 AM
    I know many of you won't want to hear this and are going to bash me for saying it, but the 1020 runs on a very old processor and is fairly slow. The UI is fluid, but many apps aren't. I often get micro-stutters when scrolling websites etc. I never noticed until I got my Nexus 5 last week. So in this respect, I would definitely get the 1520. Much faster, faster camera performance, generally much more future-proof. I doubt the camera is going to be significantly worse, either. What you lose is half of the zooming capability, but you'll gain a drastically faster shot-to-shot speed.

I'll be selling my 1020 as soon as the 1520 arrives.
    I hardly notice much lag on the 1020 anyway, so I'm guessing the quad core processors will only bring incremental speed improvement (except for camera performance which could benefit lot). Just look like that 8 core Galaxy S4, I'm so unimpressed by its performance. At some point there will be diminishing returns to processing speed.
    11-12-2013 01:41 AM
69 123