Is the same type of glass used on 1520 and 920?

Toonce1101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the glass on the 1520 is the same as the glass on my 920? We were in the local AT&T store and they had put the 1520 on display earlier in the day, we noticed 2 very visible scratches in the glass on the face and a similar single sized scratch on the back. We've had our 920's since launch and, "knock on wood", no problems with scratches and we've never used protective cases or film.

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It should be at least Gorilla Glass 2 as its not like the first one is available anymore unless you buy an old device. Gorilla Glass is NOT scratch proof, shatter proof, or anything magical. It will get scratched eventually. There is a newer Gorilla Glass 3. That isn't magical either. Corning claims its xx % better at reducing scratches and surviving from a fall without cracking and uses their own skewed test methods, but glass isn't like looking at the latest processor that comes out every six months that is smaller, faster, and kills in benchmarks. It's...glass. Hasn't changed in eons. You can't just improve it every year. Lots of crazy spec heads get angry because the 1520 doesn't have the 3rd generation version, but all the generations are largely the same and the numbers don't mean anything. Even worse is the new structure may have improved one facet of its durability, but significantly reduced another. Like when a drug company changes the formula for one of their drugs that recently went generic when the patent expired, gives it a new name, and charges you up the wazoo even though the change is insignificant or even more detrimental than the original.

The glass doesn't matter in other words, so don't worry about it. All mid-range to high-end phones all use some form of mineral glass / gorilla glass / dragontail glass that perform about the same and there isn't any breakthroughs or must have glass panels. Glass is not invincible.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd say someone probably purposely scratched it. You know, since it's not theirs people are more like to "experiment".

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you don't use your finger nails on the screen or keep in your pocket withkeys, there's no livelihood of scratches.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You have to really go outta your way to get the screens scratched on these new phones nowadays. I've had my 822 for a year. Not a scratch on it and I do throw it around a bit.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You have to really go outta your way to get the screens scratched on these new phones nowadays. I've had my 822 for a year. Not a scratch on it and I do throw it around a bit.

I've only ever noticed one scratch on the screen of any smartphone I've owned. That's all the iPhones through the 4S and my 920. The scratch I noticed was on the iPhone 4 I just sold and it was tiny. Oh, and I never used a screen protector on any of them.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've only ever noticed one scratch on the screen of any smartphone I've owned. That's all the iPhones through the 4S and my 920. The scratch I noticed was on the iPhone 4 I just sold and it was tiny. Oh, and I never used a screen protector on any of them.
Me neither, all I have on mine is that cheap Verizon silicone case.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use your finger nails on the screen or keep in your pocket withkeys, there's no livelihood of scratches.

Fingernails and keys aren't really a problem for GG. The problem tends to be phones carried in pockets that have small amounts of grit in them.

The grit that can accumulate in pockets can easily scratch pretty much any glass.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)