1520 on T-mobile work (without LTE)?

Smidgerine

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My dad is wanting to get the 1520.

I was going to get it off contract and put him on T-Mobile because ATT service is terrible at his house. He currently has a microcell, so his phone works fine because of that, but I am so tired of paying this huge phone bill, when he doesn't use it that much. T-Mobile works well at his house and the places he goes, so that would be nice to switch him.

So, will the phone work on T-Mobile? I'm guessing yes, but with no LTE. I guess it would be HSPA+, which ought to be fine for him.

I guess I could switch him to Straight Talk or AiOWireless, but unfortunately I don't think his microcell could be used then, and he'd have terrible service. It could be the 1520 would have better reception than his 4S, but I'd sort of doubt it.

Any ideas???

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
First it's going to be locked to AT&T and you'll have to get it unlocked and people are having trouble getting an unlock code from AT&T if it's not activated on their network. Second, it doesn't have the normal T-Mobile data frequencies 1700/2100aws ( http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1520/specifications/ ), so if he's not in a refarmed T-Mobile area which has the 1900 band, he'll be stuck with 2G data. It does have LTE band 4 which is what T-Mobile uses, but that might not be on a model sold by AT&T.

The phone isn't out yet and nobody has tried it. No one knows if carriers will lock their branded phones tighter than they have in the past with the next generation phone. That's about all I can yell you. I hope it helps.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Wait for the RM-938 model, it'll be more expensive, but you'll get full T-Mobile HSPA+ and LTE compatibility, plus 32GB storage and Qi wireless charging. And hopefully better color selection too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon