03-04-2016 10:26 PM
410 ... 1314151617
tools
    So I bought a Lumia 1520 on Wednesday night, and was pleased to find out that on Friday I was able to get the 8.1 update!
    My background: iOS user. Big time. I got a iPhone on the first weekend that they were offered, and most recently had a 5S that I got a few weeks after it came out. I also have three iPads at home including the iPad Air.

But I started to do Windows/C# development recently and got a Surface Pro 2, then upgraded to a Surface Pro 3. The Microsoft ecosystem was very enticing and the Surface Pro 3 is an incredible machine. So, I started to look into the Windows Phone, as I was starting to get annoyed with the same old limitations in iOS over the years. I also am an amateur photographer, and I hated taking my camera and iPhone everywhere I wanted to take pics of the kids. I loved the Lumia cameras from what I had seen of them.

So, I started looking into it, and fell in love with Windows Phone 8 when I first saw it, but really intrigued by WP 8.1 based on what I saw. Okay, long backstory over.

I got a 1520, and started using it. Lots of pain at first, coming from iOS and trying to figure out how everything worked. App situation is incredibly sad. No, pathetic. The Kindle app hasn't been updated in forever. Well, no highlighting either? It looks abandoned. Same for a lot of the big name apps on the Windows app store. I don't even have a decent Bible Software to study with and the Bible Software I use on every platform has no intention of putting something out on WP. No Dropbox either? Sigh. At least I am getting everything ported over to OneDrive.

Okay, now the positives!

The UX (user experience) is incredible. Love Windows 8.1. Thankful to get the notification system in, because that would have driven me batty compared to iOS.

The keyboard is great! Love WordFlow. The Camera is fantastic. The Screen! Oh wow, that screen. Crazy good. The voice recognition seems world's better than on iOS. The battery life is great! I miss the fingerprint sensor on the 5S, but I can live with unlocking the phone via PIN.

But the app situation is really disappointing. I'd almost wish that Microsoft would purge the store of these half-functional big-name apps than to leave them festering up there and making people even more upset by the crippled stuff on the app store.

Very happy with the OS and the Hardware. Not so with the application ecosystem.
    undulose, ak_r7, sez who and 1 others like this.
    07-26-2014 10:21 PM
    I've used quite a few phones. Used an iPhone for a while, and had the opportunity to use many Android devices, such as the M8, S5, Note III, and the G3. My first Windows Phone was a Nokia Lumia 520.
    And it beats them all. Of course, personal preference.
    But even with the outdated and low powered hardware found in a budget phone such as the 520, the interface was slick, and smooth. Hardly any lag at all and well optimized for quick use. One of my biggest problems with Android was the fact that every phone had a different interface and every phone was just a little bit more work to use then I needed. Most companies are doing better like LG and Samsung in simplifying their interface and cutting back the dozens of pre-installed apps, but the point remains.
    I did a lot of research and checked out pretty much every single high end phone on the market today. And I found the 1520.
    It's a beautiful phone. Especially compared to the Note III, or indirectly the S5. It's well designed and even though it's 0.3 inches larger then the Note III it really fits in your hand. I can use it one-handed pretty easily.
    And the screen...phenomenal. It was released October of last year and it is still a beautiful screen. Although the IPS LCD screen can't quite compete with the blacks of an AMOLED, there is great contrast and brilliant colors. And even with a much larger screen, the 1520 has about the same number of pixels per inch as the fabled iPhone 5s.
    And of course, many of the big problems people had with the OS were fixed in the 8.1 update, such as the notifications center and individual volume sliders. The interface is still as original and smooth as ever, but now is more practical and personalized. And looks nicer.
    And very good battery life as well. I can easily get through a whole day of use.
    And I don't have to say much about the camera. Fantastic.
    I could go on for quite a while on the pros of the phone, but most of them are already listed. What about the cons?
    There isn't much. It's heavy, but not noticeably so. The Note III is lighter but feels cheap, while the 1520 is only slightly heavier and comes with the well known Nokia build quality. It's solid and feels so.
    The button placement isn't the best, but with a phone this size and with everyone's individual preferences I have to say this phone is designed well. The soft keys at the bottom may seem cramped, but with a phone that most people will use two-handed it helps a lot. I haven't had any problems with accidentally pressing the search key like I had with my little 520. And the hard keys at the side are flush with the body and look nice, and are spaced to be accessible but not in the way when you hold the phone.
    (It seems my cons list is really a flux pro/con list)
    And the app selection has nothing to do with the phone but with the OS, and that is quickly changing. Apps are better, and there are more of them.
    Overall, this is a fantastic phone. As long as you're comfortable with the size, I think it's the best Windows Phone available even with the new Icon.
    I think this review covers most of the basics, not real in depth but I'm not writing a novel haha. Take in account this is all my opinions and I respect everyone else's opinions.
    08-05-2014 05:02 PM
    Been in the UK everyone surrounded by me seems to have a Samsung or iphone. I hate following "hypes" but loved android so I just stuck to android and avoided samsungs. I was (in a way still am) a android fanboy. And very anti Apple (still am). I had the 920 for a short period when it first came out since I was curious of WP8. I enjoyed it but the app store was awful. I bought a xperia Z1 compact as I wanted a good camera with a smaller screen since I was sick of using 5 inch phones. But having the Z1 compact just made me realise I miss big screens.

I was already planning on going for a android phablet. Like the oppo N1 but the camera was poor according to reviews and I'm a big fan of photography... Then a friend of mine told me to check out the 1520. Was very hesitant due to it being WP8. I thought I would look up customer reviews on the things I use most. Camera. Speaker and how fluid and fast something is. And according to everyone the 1520 excelled in them areas. I now have a 1520 and I love it more than any other phone I have had.

The only 2 negatives are FIFA 14 lags and facebook app is awful.
    crav4speed, James8561 and sez who like this.
    08-07-2014 12:52 AM
    Been in the UK everyone surrounded by me seems to have a Samsung or iphone. I hate following "hypes" but loved android so I just stuck to android and avoided samsungs. I was (in a way still am) a android fanboy. And very anti Apple (still am). I had the 920 for a short period when it first came out since I was curious of WP8. I enjoyed it but the app store was awful. I bought a xperia Z1 compact as I wanted a good camera with a smaller screen since I was sick of using 5 inch phones. But having the Z1 compact just made me realise I miss big screens.

I was already planning on going for a android phablet. Like the oppo N1 but the camera was poor according to reviews and I'm a big fan of photography... Then a friend of mine told me to check out the 1520. Was very hesitant due to it being WP8. I thought I would look up customer reviews on the things I use most. Camera. Speaker and how fluid and fast something is. And according to everyone the 1520 excelled in them areas. I now have a 1520 and I love it more than any other phone I have had.

The only 2 negatives are FIFA 14 lags and facebook app is awful.
    Facebook Beta app on 8.1 is finally there IMHO. Very Windows and very Facebook. They fixed a lot.
    08-08-2014 08:26 AM
    Someone please confirm me there is 3g only/wcdma only mode available with cyan update??
    Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    08-08-2014 08:30 AM
    No there is no such thing. Still missing. You can still set just the maximal connection, not minimal.
    08-08-2014 08:52 AM
    Field test working? Jus dial #3282call
    Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    08-08-2014 12:24 PM
    Hello,

Is anyone having any issues with sound notifications? I have my ringer & notification set for 05/10 and media + apps set for 13/30. I was receiving sounds before but after going to the gym using a wired headset, something seems off. I did reboot phone and still no sounds for say text messages coming in.

Any suggestions? I am using the default Windows sounds (ex: new email, new messages, etc). Again, no issues when I got the phone (green lumia 1520) two days ago.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dr.Nitun; 08-12-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    08-12-2014 12:50 PM
    Check your settings.
    08-18-2014 07:28 AM
    I just got my new Lumia 1520 and my first thought was wow this might be too big. However after using it for a day I'll take this over my 1020 any day. The first thing I notice is battery life. It's so much better than my 1020. This alone makes the 1520 worth every penny. The other thing I notice is the camera is super quick and smooth compared to the 1020. The difference in CPU is significant.
    08-30-2014 07:16 PM
    I ordered my 1520 in April and love it. I use it for browsing, news, email, light gaming, photography, watching video, one note, facebook, twitter, and the list goes on. Since I started using the 1520 I only use my laptop PC at work, and almost never pick up my dell venue 6 pro. I waited at first to see if Att would get the ICON/930 to replace my 920. When they announced they would not I picked up the 1520 and never looked back. This phone is by far better than any before or since it was released. My only complaint is that ATT striped the qi wireless charging. I have four charging plates that I cannot use. Oh well, its the only thing missing.
    09-11-2014 08:17 PM
    You may be too young to remember running with one of these.

-snip-

BTW, do you use a different account for each phone or how does that work?
    Thank you so much. I had a great laugh. I've had way too many people insist that the 1520 is too big to be practical and that nobody would ever use a portable device so large.

I got a nice armband case for mine off Amazon, was pretty cheap. Waterproof, too!
    09-16-2014 10:46 AM
    Why Lumia 1520 has not got any special importance ..like special update ..y its ditched
    09-28-2014 12:31 PM
    This is the first time since the release of a new iphone that I have not jumped on the band wagon. I'm extremely happy with my 1520 the one short coming which I find to be a real inconvenience is with email you don't have option to leave messages on the server like you do with both android and ios .
    09-28-2014 06:35 PM
    So I just wanted to post my thoughts on the 1520, and hopefully others can too in this thread.

The hardware is absolutely gorgeous. The build feels really good, and it's barely heavier than my 920, which is very surprising given the size (more on that below). It's also very skinny, and the camera bulge isn't noticeable at all.
    But unfortunately, it was a lot bigger than I was expecting! I was trying to take pictures simultaneously with my 920 and the 1520, and I wasn't able to hold the 1520 and press the camera button with one hand. It's just not usable with one hand at all. Also, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the 1520 doesn't actually FEEL faster than 920. Switching screens, going to email, coming back, going to text messages, coming back to home, was identical in speed on both. I was trying to tap things at the same time to make sure I could see the speed improvements. Maybe it just goes to show how well optimized windows phone 8 is for dual core devices. That being said, the 1520 was just a hair faster than the 920 opening 3rd party apps. For example the camera app was faster by a couple milliseconds, but it wasn't AS fast as I was expecting. There was still a shot to shot delay that didn't seem any shorter than my 920.

I think this might be a fault with the current implementation of wp8, but I fully expect the snapdragon 800 to show it's might when WP8.1 launches. But until then, I plan on sticking it out with the 920. It runs WP8 at 60fps throughout the OS, and doesn't seem like GDR3 gains much from the new processor.
    Surely the speed improvements are seen with high end games, nothing else. The UI was already smooth.
    09-29-2014 02:42 AM
    The Lumia 1520 is pretty much being reviewed as well in my 930 review.

10-02-2014 12:46 AM
    I ordered my 1520 in April and love it. I use it for browsing, news, email, light gaming, photography, watching video, one note, facebook, twitter, and the list goes on. Since I started using the 1520 I only use my laptop PC at work, and almost never pick up my dell venue 6 pro. I waited at first to see if Att would get the ICON/930 to replace my 920. When they announced they would not I picked up the 1520 and never looked back. This phone is by far better than any before or since it was released. My only complaint is that ATT striped the qi wireless charging. I have four charging plates that I cannot use. Oh well, its the only thing missing.
    You should by the case that gives it qi charging ability.
    10-05-2014 04:31 PM

This review is simply an artwork. Love how cinematic it is. The ending of the review really touches me. Yes, Nokia phones will go into history. Microsoft may make them better, but still no more Nokia. This is my last chance and I know I will use the 1520 for a long, long time.
    Nisse Tuta likes this.
    10-09-2014 11:10 AM
    ​Excellent review. Thanks for that!
    Nisse Tuta and agentmikeyd99 like this.
    10-09-2014 10:47 PM
    I bought my 1520 about 3 months ago. I had a 920 last year and had some issues with the battery draining quickly so I returned it and got a S4. I had that for a year and hated it. I just do not see the attraction to the Android OS. It's just like an iPhone and is very plain and boring.
    When I received my 1520 I realized that it was going to big and it was. But I have to say that I absolutely love the 1520. It has done everything I have asked it to do. The screen is awesome. The live tiles is why I went back to windows phone. The interface is unique and interactive. The Android nor IOS comes close the how the windows interface works. 8.1 along with Cyan just adds to an already awesome experience.
    I tell everyone I know about how awesome it is but I am still the only person I know that has a windows phone. I don't get it but everyone is buying either an S5 or iphone 6.
    I never write reviews like this but I just have to let everyone in this forum know how great this phone is because you guys appreciate it.
    I gave my S4 to my wife and she hates it. She is going to get an 830 when they come out on ATT. The 1520 is just to big for her.
    I can go on and on but specific features the phone has but for anyone that has had a 1520 you know how good this phone is. It's still hard for me to believe that more people do not have a windows phone. The sales people in ATT sure don't help. When I go in and ask them to recommend a phone they also say Android or Iphone. I had an experience where I went in the store asking for a windows phone and the guy brought it out. He then proceeded to say that the S4 will run circles around the windows phone. This is the ATT salesman and I went in and asked specially for a windows phone. I don't get it. I happen to be technical and know about phones but someone who doesn't know anything would certainly go with the Android.
    I just don't see the attraction.
    10-20-2014 09:35 AM
    Am I correct in my understanding that the ATT version of the 1520 does not have Wireless Charging?

​Thanks,
    11-02-2014 07:20 PM
    Am I correct in my understanding that the ATT version of the 1520 does not have Wireless Charging?

​Thanks,
    It does but not the Qi standard but PMA (look it up online, you'll understand what's the difference), and that too with an external case, not built in like the international variants
    11-02-2014 07:55 PM
    Which totally stinks. This page claims it comes with Qi. http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia1520/specifications/

11-02-2014 08:27 PM
    Which totally stinks. This page claims it comes with Qi. http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia1520/specifications/

Well the US version of the Microsoft site does list PMA

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=CLjlkjIN
    11-02-2014 10:13 PM
    Well the US version of the Microsoft site does list PMA

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Specifications - Microsoft - USA
    I saw that, but thanks. It just stinks that they altered the one for the US, and not in a good way. Forgive my ignorance, but is there any way to buy an unlocked version with Qi and use it without issue on ATT?
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    11-03-2014 06:15 PM
410 ... 1314151617