The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-04-2016 10:26 PM
410 12345 ...
tools
    Maybe if you get the white one it'll be smaller. *snicker*
    11-11-2013 08:47 AM
    I think saying the phone's software should be better optimized to take advantage of a larger screen is a valid point. Saying the phone is too big or too small is personal preference. The iPhone screen is too small for my taste, it is a deal breaker, and I would much rather have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra but I recognize that other people might feel differently. If you think the 1520 is "just massive" you should check out the Sony.

nokia-lumia-1520-vs-sony-xperia-z-ultra.jpg
    11-11-2013 09:30 AM
    I went and played with the L1520 this past Friday at my local store. Here are my thoughts.

Size: It is a big phone. Having used the original Note and the LG Optimus G Pro(which is an amazing phone btw), I was surprised at how jarringly big it seemed when I first picked it up. After handling it for about 30 minutes however, as well as comparing it to the Note 3 and the Mega, that faded. I believe the surprise was because I was used to the size of my L920 and hadn't used a larger phone for some time. Had to use both hands for typing, camera, etc., but anyone getting a device this large probably anticipates this.

Feel: From the onset it felt better to me in hand than the L920. No sharp edges that the OP said he experienced and the buttons felt less obtrusive than my L920. For some reason it actually felt lighter to me than my L920 even though I know that's impossible. The matte body felt great but seems just as slippery to me as the L920.

Screen: All I can say is DAMN! It's a beauty! I always thought the Optimus G Pro had the best screen of any smartphone out right now, but in my opinion the L1520 wins out. It's almost hard to believe that it's not an AMOLED screen as the blacks are great and colors really pop. Viewed some web pages and watched a couple videos and it was amazing. The extra tiles are nice.

Camera: I only took about 20 shots on it, but from what I took they look outstanding.

Speed: Overall, everything just seemed a tiny bit faster. I tried to open up apps on the L1520 and L920 at the same time and results were negligible.

I definitely will be being getting one I just haven't decided whether to wait for the 32GB version or not. I think it will be a great device for media consumption.

As to the OP questioning the release of this niche device. The same was said for the original Note when it came out. These aren't for everyone but there is a market. I think Nokia is trying to cover all their bases and this competes with the Xperia Z Ultra, the Mega, and the Note 3. Some people want a stylus and some could care less about it.

I sure a refresh of the L920/925/928 is coming. People tend to forget that the L920 hasn't been out a year yet and the L1020 even less.
    M L likes this.
    11-11-2013 09:31 AM
    if 4.5" is your limit I don't know why you were even considering the 1520 in the first place
    Saying that it is too big to compete with the note 3 is just asinine
    0.3" is negligible
    11-11-2013 09:45 AM
    dead. I am dead. LOL, i literally busted out laughing and freaked the dog out :P
    MSFTisMIA and Dadstar0410 like this.
    11-11-2013 09:46 AM
    If 4.5 is the largest you will go in a phone then why were you looking at it, and now complaining, in the first place? You do realize you are essentially complaining about being disappointed they released the device they said they were releasing? Were you expecting it would have a dimensional manipulator so that it would be smaller when you picked it up? Sorry but Doctor Who really is just science fiction....
    11-11-2013 09:48 AM
    I recently went to the Microsoft Store near me, and I tried out the 1520. I got the complete opposite reaction! At first I thought it would be too big, since I don't have the largest hands, but I was actually using it with one hand, and the flip cover was on it. The keyboard was huge, and so much better than the size of the keyboard on the 521. The camera actually seemed to focus a little better than the Lumia 1020 next to it, but I assume that is from the new camera app that wasn't installed and Nokia Black. The display was amazing, and it was pretty speedy, although it was about the same as the 1020. Once the 1520 comes to T-Mobile, and if it does, I am definitely going to pick it up.
    11-11-2013 09:57 AM
    I also heard yellow can distort size as well...either way, I plan to swing by an AT&T sotre after work to check it out...
    11-11-2013 10:02 AM
    and probably 'imposingly white' too
    11-11-2013 10:09 AM
    As much as I love this phone, having spent time with it in the store, I do agree with questioning its positioning in the market. Without strong pen support, the 1520 seems more like a high end competitor to the Mega. This is something I think the 1320 would be better suited for. Frankly, that's really what is holding me back (along w/ the wireless charging issue). I'd love to go down to a laptop and a phablet, phasing out my Surface, but I think I'd just miss a few things.
    11-11-2013 10:42 AM
    A stylus IRL on a phone is completely useless
    I've owned the note 2 for a little over a year now and I have never pulled it out
    ....not even once

its super inconvenient and there isn't much that you cant do with your fingers

A lot of people already have bad handwriting, digital inking just magnifies that
    ...for me personally, I cant think of anything more useless than a stylus

..and while I'm not to keen on quoting Jobs, this one holds true
    "if it has a stylus, you're doing it wrong"
    Ian Hanson likes this.
    11-11-2013 10:49 AM
    I've owned the note 2 for a little over a year now and I have never pulled it out
    ....not even once

A lot of people already have bad handwriting, digital inking just magnifies that

I can't even imagine pulling out a stylus on a phone. Writing on a screen with what amounts to a thick toothpick seems very awkward and time consuming.
    Last edited by TenTwelve; 11-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    etad putta and superlawyer15 like this.
    11-11-2013 11:02 AM
    I don't think I would really use a stylus. When I saw a demonstration of the stylus with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the screen cut outs, writing and drawing I thought "that is so cool!... and I can't imagine ever bothering to do that." I feel the same way about the Surface Pro stylus, I'm glad it exists and know it is perfect for some jobs but I don't need it.
    JPDVM2014 likes this.
    11-11-2013 11:04 AM
    I don't think I would really use a stylus. When I saw a demonstration of the stylus with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the screen cut outs, writing and drawing I thought "that is so cool!... and I can't imagine ever bothering to do that." I feel the same way about the Surface Pro stylus, I'm glad it exists and know it is perfect for some jobs but I don't need it.
    My SP2 stylus is still in the box ....collect dust
    The only practical real world application I see for a stylus is if you need to capture a signature
    11-11-2013 11:09 AM
    ....not even once

I have to agree with this. I had a Galaxy Note (loved it, by the way. That's why I'm getting this phone. I want the giant screen again but this time with a better OS) I legit used the stylus maybe 3 times in the year that I owned it. Any other time "using" it was actually showing off the device. It was kinda gimmicky. I have small hands and I still loved the phone. I'm sure I'll love this one too.
    11-11-2013 11:40 AM
    I can't wait for this phone!
    11-11-2013 11:46 AM
    I can understand not getting the massive 1520.... But Nokia have loads of mainstream phones.
    Everything from the 925 down to 520 is mainstream isn't it? That must be 7 or more phones.

Sent from my Lumia 920 Tapatalk
    11-11-2013 11:50 AM
    I tried out the 1520, and i didnt think it was too big honestly, but i am the wrong person to ask because i can palm and ipad 4 in one hand.
    11-11-2013 11:53 AM
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was in an AT&T store or he stumbled in on an Urban All Male Review.

Infarction, in the future be careful about cross posting with the Penthouse Letters forums.
    11-11-2013 11:57 AM
    I saw one at the AT&T store at a local mall (which also happens to have a MS store). I didn't have much time to play with the device but it sounds like my first impressions were about the same as everyone else's: beautiful screen, not as bulky or heavy as I imagined- but damn it is big. I can handle my 920 one-handed without too much difficulty; the 1520, not so much (I note this just as a piece of information; I don't particularly care one way or the other about one-handed phone use. To each his/her own).

Anyway, I did manage to snap a few comparison photos (using my 920) of the 1520 and the 920 on display next to it. Two things I noted after looking at these. First, the bottom bezel on the 1520 is noticeably smaller (while the top is a smidge larger). Overall, I love that it just seems like much less bezel compared to the 920. Second, the capacitive buttons are much closer together than on the 920, which I don't think looks as nice but is probably necessary for usability.

lumia920and1520.jpg
    11-11-2013 12:00 PM
    I went to my AT&T store and they had the area where they put the phone set up, just the phone wasn't there. They said they haven't gotten it yet. :'(
    11-11-2013 12:07 PM
    I stopped being able to take this seriously here:
    I took one look at the length of the post and stopped taking it seriously. OP: If you don't like somethng about the device then get another. It's like saying I'd like to have a Mac truck but only want to be the size of a Chevy S10.
    11-11-2013 12:07 PM
    I tried out the 1520, and i didnt think it was too big honestly, but i am the wrong person to ask because i can palm and ipad 4 in one hand.
    Man, I hope you're not a proctologist!
    11-11-2013 12:19 PM
    Second, the capacitive buttons are much closer together than on the 920, which I don't think looks as nice but is probably necessary for usability.
    I like this because I'm always hitting the search button when I'm doing other stuff. I must hold my 920 goofily.
    11-11-2013 12:30 PM
    I can't even imagine pulling out a stylus on a phone. Writing on a screen with what amounts to a thick toothpick seems very awkward and time consuming.
    I was disappointed that you gave a serious reply when his post contained such gems as pulling it out and not much you can't do with your fingers.
    JPDVM2014 likes this.
    11-11-2013 12:32 PM
410 12345 ...