[Real Users] My Lumia 1520 Review

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Played extensively with the 1520 at the Microsoft Store Today

I like this because I'm always hitting the search button when I'm doing other stuff. I must hold my 920 goofily.

Good point! It probably will be easier to avoid hitting the search button accidentally. I found it hard enough to hit the buttons on purpose haha. They do feel slightly more cramped.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Did they have any PMA wireless chargers or PMA shells laying around, Moiz Mian?

I didn't see any :/ Are they going to be available on launch? Also, why don't they just add wireless charging to the official folding case? That would be perfect!

eutonl

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: NOKIA 1520 DISPLAY experince IM IN LOVE Positive Post Only

I agree, I went to AT&T store on Friday and had same experience with the 1520. I will see if the 16GB and microSD are good enough(or sell then get 32GB with Qi). I also had been waiting on a Windows Phablet.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

But I'm guessing this is much faster than the shot-to-shot time of the 1020? (which is about the only complaint I've read about the 1020 camera)

It is faster when it comes to shot-to-shot vs. the 1020. At least that was our impression when we played with it at Nokia World.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I have a question about Next. Hopefully you can answer it. When you normally buy the phone on contract. You have to pay $199+$36 upgrade fee+(tax on $549). In my state, this adds up to about $280. When you get NEXT, do you pay 0 upfront? Or just the tax? And how much are the monthly payments for the 1520?

you don't pay anything upfront, but don't let that fool you into thinking that "next" is a good deal
if you keep the device for 1 year, you would end up paying more than $199 and then you have to return the device to ATT to get a new one
if you keep the device for 2 years, you would end up paying more than the full cost of the phone

consumers don't win with NEXT(or any similar program from other carriers)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

you don't pay anything upfront, but don't let that fool you into thinking that "next" is a good deal
if you keep the device for 1 year, you would end up paying more than $199 and then you have to return the device to ATT to get a new one
if you keep the device for 2 years, you would end up paying more than the full cost of the phone

You win if you make enough to pay for the monthly fees, but don't make enough to pay for the device upfront.

That's the entire point of Next...a way to keep up to date on the latest hardware each year, without it costing you a ton upfront each time.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Also checked out the 1520 at the local Microsoft store. Very nice. Wish it came in Cyan, had 32gb or 64gb on board, and had 41 megapixel camera... or at least a 34 MP + 5 MP jpeg one. But for $199 on contract, I'll grab one in black. Or yellow....

Im sure you meant the 1020 because the 1520 doesnt have 41 mp or 34+5. Anyhow will like to play with the 1520 which is supposed to be better and way bigger before I make a purchase.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

You win if you make enough to pay for the monthly fees, but don't make enough to pay for the device upfront.

That's the entire point of Next...a way to keep up to date on the latest hardware each year, without it costing you a ton upfront each time.

who can afford ATT's monthly fees but cant afford $199 for a phone?

maui911

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My thoughs on the Lumia 1520 from AT&T store today

.1.) Size - Let me first say that I have large hands, so the Lumia 1520 did not feel uncomfortable in the hand at all. I felt like most of the time I could use it with one hand, and only a few instances did I need two hands to do what I needed. I used to have a Note 2, which I felt fit in my pocket quite easily. When I had the Note, I actually felt like the screen could have been slightly bigger with no issues. If you have small hands, wielding this phone may be a challenge. The ATT rep did let me put the phone in my pocket. I was wearing a pair of gym shorts, and it did fit, but barely. I would probably have to figure out a way to carry the device instead of in my pockets since it is borderline. I think a belt holder or something might be easier to use. I could fit it in my pocket, but would probably be worried about breaking the screen. If you wear cargo pants or shorts there is probably no issue. If you wear tight jeans or pants...forget it. The bottom line for me is this is about the limit of how large a phone I could use. Yes, at times it won't be the most portable, but you have to look at if everything else about the phone outweighs this factor. The 1520 although being much larger than the 1020, it actually felt lighter. This is a very thin phone. The weight is spread out nicely. Still has a premium lumia feel, but not overly heavy.

2.) Screen quality: The 1520 was sitting right next to a Lumia 1020 and Lumia 925 in the ATT store. The screen absolutely blows the 1020 out of the water in my opinion. I went into the settings in all 3 phones and turned auto brightness off on all of them and set them to high. The screen brightness on the Lumia 1520 is much better than any previous lumia I have seen. It's an amazing screen, and probably the best I've seen on any device. The Lumia 1020 looked like it had a yellow tint to it next to the 1520. For me the extra screen real estate made a huge deal when reading articles and going into apps. I never found myself pinching to zoom. Text was ultra clear and easy to read on the 1520. I felt like I was having a tablet experience in most apps. Browsing websites, going to youtube and watching videos was much more enjoyable on the 1520.

3.) Performance: Performance on the 1520 compared to the 1020 showed no real difference that I could tell. Apps seem to load at the same speed and moving throughout the OS seemed to happen at the same pace. I think the RAM has much more to do with this than to dual core processor in the 1020 because I did notice a difference in performance in the 1520 compared to the 925.

4.) Camera - The camera on the 1020 is definitely better than the camera on the 1520. I saw much more detail in most shots on the 1020, I should say that the 1020 did take longer to take the pictures themselves so you do have a few seconds more lag on the 1020 compared to the 1520. I could take multiple photos much more quickly on the 1520, which had almost no lag between shots. Not quite as fast as my iPhone 5, but not far off either. The 1520 camera didn't blow me away. In average lighting in the store, it produced shots only slightly better than the 925 from what I could tell. Definitely no slouch, but not near what the 1020 can do from the limited testing I was able to do in the store today. Some shots on the 1520 looked blurry post processing. I used to have this issue on my lumia 920, so I'm not sure if it's a software thing or what. It only happened a few times in the Nokia Pro Cam app. On the regular camera app there were no issues. There was no blurriness using the lumia 1020 and the pro camera app.

Final thoughts: For me, I do not think this phone is too large. After testing the 1520 in store for about an hour, I looked at my iPhone 5 and couldn't believe how small it seemed. I didn't even want to pick up my iPhone after looking at the 1520. It just seems way too small now. The 1520 is right at the cusp of what I feel is acceptable for a mobile device. I feel the screen size/quality, along with a strong camera , and updated hardware compared to older editions of the lumia line make this a definite go for me. You have an amazing content consumption/multimedia experience. With respect to the size of this phone, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Sure, there is a slight loss in portability, but using that large screen makes it much more enjoyable so I feel the sacrifice is worth it. Even if Nokia releases a 5" flagship, I still feel I'd want the bigger screen on the 1520. I would almost think of the lumia 1520 as an ultra portable tablet with a phone and a superb camera, than a smartphone itself. The biggest challenge for me with this phone will probably be how to carry it around comfortably. I don't think I would have a problem carrying it around in a belt case, or just getting a case and carrying it around like a small tablet.

2013-11-11T12-48-18_0.jpg
2013-11-11T12-48-19_1.jpg
2013-11-11T12-48-19_2.jpg
2013-11-11T12-48-19_3.jpg
2013-11-11T12-48-19_4.jpg

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Can you set the 1520/1320 to display the typical two columns of med-size tiles instead of 3? My dad has bad eyes and wants something with bigger text. These large screens would be great, but three columns actually makes the tile fonts SMALLER than a 920/1020.

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: My thoughs on the Lumia 1520 from AT&T store today

Pre-ordered online last week, tried it out in the Microsoft Store this weekend. The phone feels 100x better in the hand than the Galaxy Note 3 or any other large phablet/phone. The phone may be larger on paper than the Note 3, but it feels smaller.

maui911

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Pre-ordered online last week, tried it out in the Microsoft Store this weekend. The phone feels 100x better in the hand than the Galaxy Note 3 or any other large phablet/phone. The phone may be larger on paper than the Note 3, but it feels smaller.

I just saw a note 3 in a best buy when I went to pick up a case for my Venue 8 Pro. That faux leather on the back is cheap and looks terrible in my opinion. Screen is nice, but I opened up a web browser, and scrolling was ultra laggy. Then 1520 doesn't feel heavier or that much bigger than the note 3.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Right, I totally understand that, but what I'm trying to gauge is how much more do you spend. I would spend close to $300 if I bought a Lumia 1520 including upgrade fee and tax. So if I can use pay $300 over 12 months and then return the phone, then I basically had the phone for free. Even if it was $350 over 12 months, I think it might be worth it. Anyone know how much you would pay ATT for 12 months of payments on the 1520?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Yes, yes, of course it can. All ATT phones can do simultaneous voice and data.
you sure because I heard they disabled that on this phone . I really hope im wrong because I want this phone! Now what's the real difference between on board memory and expandable memory in regards to performance ,speed etc

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Right, I totally understand that, but what I'm trying to gauge is how much more do you spend. I would spend close to $300 if I bought a Lumia 1520 including upgrade fee and tax. So if I can use pay $300 over 12 months and then return the phone, then I basically had the phone for free. Even if it was $350 over 12 months, I think it might be worth it. Anyone know how much you would pay ATT for 12 months of payments on the 1520?
I was following you until you said for free..
If you paid the $300 now, you'd then be able to keep the phone in the end.
If you paid the $350 overtime, you have to give the phone back lol. That's like paying all that money for a phone that's not yours. A lease even that costs just as much as a purchase.
It's like leasing a Lexus and paying the same as financing a lexus. Simply makes more sense to finance the car right?
And trust me I've weighed heavily back and forth on NEXT vs. credit card'ing the upgrade price. Just doesn't make sense to ever go with NEXT. It actually never makes sense and they only get true enthusiasts who probably aren't very frugal to begin with

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs