The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-04-2016 10:26 PM
410 ... 56789 ...
tools
    How do i get push gmail working on this thing?
    I'm not sure you can anymore.
    11-23-2013 05:52 PM
    ok like everything I'm going to mention so far issues for me and might differ per person

size, yes sometimes is almost impossible to use with one hand, and others arent as bad, I had twice the display not responding and had to put the display to sleep and then wake it up again to make it work again propertly, I still cant believe that youtube doesnt play in HD on mobile ( more of an issue with google, but affects user experience) battery life is ok, I had higher expectations, even my nexus lasts as long, wish I could disable animations to make it even faster. o yeah Gmail not pushing email is a problem for me too.

the goods are impressive display, and speakers are great, keyboard is amazing in that big display and pretty good camera, not better than the 1020 of course.
    11-23-2013 06:07 PM
    I got my phone yesterday and today I already had several people drooling over it. Load the trailer to halo or asphalt and people are blown away. The screen is amazing.
    Battery life seems to be quite good. Needless to say that I played almost all day with it and it is still showing me 3 hours worth of battery. I don't think the screen was off for more than an hour in total today.

The size of the phone is spectacular. I especially like the extra real estate for the keyboard. I am typing twice as fast as on my 920.

I also got the Belkin cover and I have to say I really like it. It is nothing special, just a flip cover made of fake leather. But it is sturdy, doubles as a stand and has a little pocked that can hold "emergency" cash or a credit card/ business card. It protects the phone nicely and I wouldn't want to miss it anymore.

The only thing that I found odd was the fact that here city lens seems to be gone... It wasn't installed on the phone and also doesn't show up in the store anymore. Not sure what happened, but it is gone. Still have it on the 920 though....

Overall, I found my ideal phone. I held my 920 for a moment today and dammit that thing is tiny :)
    Wilguens Joachin likes this.
    11-23-2013 06:20 PM
    Phrozty, to reinstall your apps, you can go to the app store and search for your app. You can select Buy, and if you already purchased it, you will get a message saying something like "you already own this app. Would you like to reinstall?" I don't remember the exact wording, but it's something along those lines.
    Yeah.. I'm trying to look through posts I've made all over the internet to see if I an find a list of what I had. My last phone bricked, so there's no way to get a list from there. It's rather tedious :/.
    11-23-2013 06:20 PM
    Ok so I spent my first day today with the 1520. Just gonna throw a few things out there. I'm about 5'10ish just tad over. I can without much problem one hand this device while not moving. That said with two hands its twice as easy to type on then any other phone I have owned. I am a front pocket carrier my jeans are I guess loose but not baggy at all, it goes in no problem with none of the phone showing. Honestly less bulge then my 920 but this is quite a bit thinner. Screen is amazing! Call quality is also very good. Speaker is really good as well better than the 920 imo. Just a few things I have noticed right away can't wait to keep using it especially start taking pics tomorrow.
    11-23-2013 08:00 PM
    - The 3 button layout is pretty hard to get used to after using iPhone all these years, i must say it's probably the biggest thing i hate about the phone. The Iphone 5s i have pretty much spoiled me with that touch-id sensor. You press the button and your in your phone, and that's with security enabled. With this phone i have to press the side button and swipe up. Yes that may seem like a small chore but when you do it seemingly every 5 minutes it adds up to a lot of time.
    How about double tap to wake?
    11-24-2013 05:56 AM
    Yeah.. I'm trying to look through posts I've made all over the internet to see if I an find a list of what I had. My last phone bricked, so there's no way to get a list from there. It's rather tedious :/.
    You bricked your Titan? Don't tell me it bricked while you were trying to install WP7.8...
    11-24-2013 06:01 AM
    I've had my phone for a day now, so there's still a lot to explore, but there are some common things, both good and bad, that stand out about it. My previous history with windows phones is restricted to the HTC Titan, which was a big phone, but also only WP 7.5. Some of these "cool things" could be WP8 related and I just didn't know about them.
    Thanks for your little mini-review. I also am coming from a Titan (had it for the past 2 years) as my only WP experience. So your feedback was very valuable to me.

Incidentally, I am going to be switching the MS account I use with my phone so I'll have to start over on apps anyway. I guess I didn't buy a ton of apps on 7.5 so maybe that's ok.
    11-24-2013 06:10 AM
    Thanks for your little mini-review. I also am coming from a Titan (had it for the past 2 years) as my only WP experience. So your feedback was very valuable to me.

Incidentally, I am going to be switching the MS account I use with my phone so I'll have to start over on apps anyway. I guess I didn't buy a ton of apps on 7.5 so maybe that's ok.
    Just make sure you can either access the list on windowsphone.com, or at least write them down. I still can't get my full list of apps :(.

My Titan bricked this past monday out of nowhere. At one point while it was on my desk it buzzed and I noticed it rebooted itself. When it did, I noticed my social and email tiles missing (so tiles tied to my accounts). I also noticed that all texts/phone history were reverted back to phone numbers instead of peoples' names. After waiting a few minutes, the tiles and names came back. Before I went to bed, I tried to set my alarm and the alarm app wouldn't open. Thinking it was related to all the changes that just happened on my phone, I shut the phone down and then restarted it. When it turned back on for the re-boot, it never went past the HTC logo screen... ever again.. :(.
    11-24-2013 09:59 AM
    How about double tap to wake?
    Awesome! That takes away all the fumbling and bumbling around with your hand when wanting to use it.

The only other major issue for me is Internet explorer. I changed the settings so the favorites button will be next to the address bar at the bottom. But they place it on the left side of the screen! Something as simple as this MS needs to make it user adjustable. Instead of stretching my thumb all the way over to hit the favorites button, they should have the option to have it on the right side. Little things like that is what i was talking about earlier with button placement on large phones. They can all be easily used one handed if all button access is done from the middle to bottom right of the screen.
    11-24-2013 10:12 AM
    Would be interesting to get some feedback on battery life. How many hours are people getting out of a full charge?
    11-24-2013 10:28 AM
    So far, I'm really like the phone. The size takes some getting used to, but I don't think I could go back now. As I was readying my 925 for sale and shipping, it seemed so small!

My first impressions are similar to everyone else: amazing screen, amazing build quality, surprisingly thin and light for it's size. The speaker is quite loud, though I wish it was on the front, or bottom.

I've had a few small issues:

1. I too am experiencing the touch issues. When I'm wanting to scroll on the homescreen, it often starts up an app instead. I've had many WP7/8 phones, and this is new to me.
    2. My screen was suddenly dimming while in use. I didn't have any of the auto brightness settings turned on. I eventually did a hard reset, seems to have fixed it.
    3. The controls on my headphones suddenly stopped working. I tried another set and they didn't work. A reboot fixed that.
    11-24-2013 10:39 AM
    Phrozty, this may sound a little overly basic, but it almost happened to me. Please do not be offended. Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page listing your apps and click on the small red lettering saying "More"? The lettering is pretty small and could be easy (for me, anyway) to miss.

I thought the same as you, wondering where all my other apps went! Turns out I had 5 or 6 pages of apps I have owned; several of which aren't even published anymore.

If this is of no help to you, maybe it can be of help for someone else going through the same thing I went through.

At any rate, I hope you are able to recover all your missing apps. : )
    11-24-2013 11:19 AM
    Ok guys i was on my trip to Bangkok and yesterday got a chance to play around with the lumia 1520 in real , and saw all colors my personal fav is the black and white . red looks too much and the glossy finish is a turn off .

the phone is huge but looks thin , classy and sharp . the screen itself is a beauty to watch . blows all the iphone 5s , glaxies and htc , lg phones out of water when it comes to screen quality.

camera too is amazing . and people were coming to see 1020 and 1520 .

if i was not going to buy a tablet i might have gone for it or even if they make the same phone in 5inches form factor i might buy even now , 6 inches is too big for me .

attaching some pics . and best part was saw a surface 1 in nokia store for sale
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20131123_010-copy.jpg   wp_20131123_008.jpg   wp_20131123_027-copy.jpg   wp_20131123_026-copy.jpg   wp_20131123_013-copy.jpg  

wp_20131123_033-copy.jpg   wp_20131123_023.jpg   wp_20131123_025.jpg   wp_20131123_007-1.jpg  
    Last edited by rav16; 11-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    JMBasquiat likes this.
    11-24-2013 11:58 AM
    Awesome! That takes away all the fumbling and bumbling around with your hand when wanting to use it.
    Interesting you say that.. I find that sometimes the double tap doesn't always work, and then I'm bapping the screen till it does work. IMO, it's a lot easier to hit the power button. This could be linked w/that tapping issues that I and others have been experiencing though.

Would be interesting to get some feedback on battery life. How many hours are people getting out of a full charge?
    I'm currently staring at half a bar, and I was playing with it quite a bit yesterday. 22 hours since last charge, 21 hours left. Going to be using a lot of GPS today while looking @ houses for a few hours, so we'll see how things go. I'm surprised that I'm already looking at 2 days of time. I remember my titan started out at about 1.25-1.5 days of battery time, but over time the battery life grew to about 2.5 days on average.

Phrozty, this may sound a little overly basic, but it almost happened to me. Please do not be offended. Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page listing your apps and click on the small red lettering saying "More"? The lettering is pretty small and could be easy (for me, anyway) to miss.
    Of course.. first thing I tried :). I just get the "Please try to load apps again" message. Though today I can at least see down to all of the apps that were originally listed when my list partially came back... So.. here's what happened:

- Few days ago, 0 purchase history
    - Day after, SOME purchase history, but trying to load more apps = "please try to load apps again" msg.
    - As I would load more apps on my phone, the "purchase history" of those apps would append to the top of the list, and push the other apps that were recovered in my history off the page, and those apps would be part of the lost list when I tried to load more history.
    - Today, when I try to load more history, I get back to the original list of restored apps, but no further.

I'm thinking I'll bug them again on monday if I don't get access to the rest of my list.
    11-24-2013 12:01 PM
    Anyone else noticed that city lens is gone?
    11-24-2013 01:06 PM
    Anyone else noticed that city lens is gone?

its built into here maps bow, sort of
    11-24-2013 02:29 PM
    The past could of years I've been using android and apple products. My very first phone actually was an iPhone 3G. Than apple started slacking, I figured why not move on to android. So I bought the Galaxy Note 2 last year. I loved the phone itself. There's a lot that I like about the OS. Customization is one of them. And there were A LOT that I also didn't like(buggie, slow, glitchy at times, wasn't always smooth... ECT..)

I was really getting bored with it all because when you look at the two OS's, they are very familiar to each other. The UI are almost the same except you don't get widgets with IOS(and if IOS had widgets than the OS with basically be the same as android). But anywho... I was getting tired of adnroid and wanted to try something new and exciting. Something different. Like windows phone 8.

I have heard a lot of chatter about windows phone 8 and how bad it is. That its lacking a lot of features that Android and IOS have. But I figured hey why not give it a shot. Can't be that that.

So Friday, I bought my very first windows phone 8 device. The Nokia Lumia 1520(which I'll be doing a full review on later). So its been two days and what do I think about windows phone 8 so far? One word, Magical!!!! (not to mention how everything looks on that 6' 1080p screen.) EVERYTHING is soooo smooth omg. I feel like the OS is from the future it's that awesome. The reason why I think most people don't like windows phone 8 is because it is sooo different than the other operating systems out there. It's. Brilliant. I haven't experienced any lag at all, everything just looks awesome. My favorite are the live tiles. They look so awesome and neat. Everything is organize well.

Windows phone 8 could be the future of OS because of they way it's been built. I see a lot of potential in this operating system and I really hope that Microsoft and the team to get their heads together and make this the best, most awesomeness phone OS ever. I seriously love windows 8 so far and I think.most people that say it sucks is because they've never. Even tried it.

Oh and one thing I hear people complain about are the apps. There are tons of apps, and more to come.

So that's my first impression on windows phone 8.
    11-24-2013 03:45 PM
    I'm glad that one more person joined Windows Phones!
    I'm sure that Windows Phone soon,may in the near future will take over from android and iOS,It's really good just most people don't like it because it's totally different from the other OS and it lacks of some apps which are useless actually...
    11-24-2013 03:50 PM
    Found it, thanks! Liked the separate app better though
    11-24-2013 03:51 PM
    The past could of years I've been using android and apple products. My very first phone actually was an iPhone 3G. Than apple started slacking, I figured why not move on to android. So I bought the Galaxy Note 2 last year. I loved the phone itself. There's a lot that I like about the OS. Customization is one of them. And there were A LOT that I also didn't like(buggie, slow, glitchy at times, wasn't always smooth... ECT..)

I was really getting bored with it all because when you look at the two OS's, they are very familiar to each other. The UI are almost the same except you don't get widgets with IOS(and if IOS had widgets than the OS with basically be the same as android). But anywho... I was getting tired of adnroid and wanted to try something new and exciting. Something different. Like windows phone 8.

I have heard a lot of chatter about windows phone 8 and how bad it is. That its lacking a lot of features that Android and IOS have. But I figured hey why not give it a shot. Can't be that that.

So Friday, I bought my very first windows phone 8 device. The Nokia Lumia 1520(which I'll be doing a full review on later). So its been two days and what do I think about windows phone 8 so far? One word, Magical!!!! (not to mention how everything looks on that 6' 1080p screen.) EVERYTHING is soooo smooth omg. I feel like the OS is from the future it's that awesome. The reason why I think most people don't like windows phone 8 is because it is sooo different than the other operating systems out there. It's. Brilliant. I haven't experienced any lag at all, everything just looks awesome. My favorite are the live tiles. They look so awesome and neat. Everything is organize well.

Windows phone 8 could be the future of OS because of they way it's been built. I see a lot of potential in this operating system and I really hope that Microsoft and the team to get their heads together and make this the best, most awesomeness phone OS ever. I seriously love windows 8 so far and I think.most people that say it sucks is because they've never. Even tried it.

Oh and one thing I hear people complain about are the apps. There are tons of apps, and more to come.

So that's my first impression on windows phone 8.
    Welcome!

I made the journey from iPhone to Android to Windows Phone complete in 2012. One thing I've noticed is that after using WP8 for a while, if I go into a store and look at my old favorite (Galaxy Note) or the top of the line IPhone, both other OS's just look ugly and outdated. When I look at my 1520, it looks like I'm holding a phone from the future.
    rav16 likes this.
    11-24-2013 03:58 PM
    The thing is, it's been this was since WP7 3 years ago! lol. Of course it's been updated a lot and there are even better things, but the transitions, basic logic of the layout and what you can do with it, and a lot of other core functions have been there since 7. I had the same realization w/my first windows phone 2 years ago :). I actually made a whole post about it when I did my Titan review on Amazon. One of the biggest things people were comparing were just brass tacks specs. The thing is, the WP OS is so *fundamentally* different that you can't just compare hardware... it already manages things WAY better than the iPhone/Android OSs. My hope is that, with the introduction of a WP that actually has identical hardware to the latest and greatest phones, people won't be able to hide behind those excuses.

Welcome!
    11-24-2013 05:28 PM
    Hello, does anyone else notice when your sending videos to someone else via text or via email, the quality is horrible and its on a square outlined with bright green. Its a shame with how beautiful the video that it comes out so bad when sent. Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what gives?
    11-24-2013 05:38 PM
    Hello, does anyone else notice when your sending videos to someone else via text or via email, the quality is horrible and its on a square outlined with bright green. Its a shame with how beautiful the video that it comes out so bad when sent. Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what gives?
    It is automaticly compressed when sent through email or text message and theres nothing you can do about it. Obviously quality is crap after that. You need to send video to your skydrive or some other file host and then just send link for that video if you want share better quality videos.
    Jennifer Dubon likes this.
    11-24-2013 06:31 PM
    Yeah same here, when i showed my friends my phone they were like "omg it's so big and nice. it feels really good in the hand" than i showed them the camera and they were amazed. i absolutely love this phone.
    11-24-2013 07:53 PM
410 ... 56789 ...