[Real Users] My Lumia 1520 Review

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just tried out the Lumia 1520. I stopped wanting it after one glance.

A stylus IRL on a phone is completely useless
I've owned the note 2 for a little over a year now and I have never pulled it out
....not even once

its super inconvenient and there isn't much that you cant do with your fingers

A lot of people already have bad handwriting, digital inking just magnifies that
...for me personally, I cant think of anything more useless than a stylus

..and while I'm not to keen on quoting Jobs, this one holds true
"if it has a stylus, you're doing it wrong"

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I've owned the note 2 for a little over a year now and I have never pulled it out
....not even once

A lot of people already have bad handwriting, digital inking just magnifies that

I can't even imagine pulling out a stylus on a phone. Writing on a screen with what amounts to a thick toothpick seems very awkward and time consuming.

Last edited:

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't think I would really use a stylus. When I saw a demonstration of the stylus with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the screen cut outs, writing and drawing I thought "that is so cool!... and I can't imagine ever bothering to do that." I feel the same way about the Surface Pro stylus, I'm glad it exists and know it is perfect for some jobs but I don't need it.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't think I would really use a stylus. When I saw a demonstration of the stylus with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the screen cut outs, writing and drawing I thought "that is so cool!... and I can't imagine ever bothering to do that." I feel the same way about the Surface Pro stylus, I'm glad it exists and know it is perfect for some jobs but I don't need it.

My SP2 stylus is still in the box ....collect dust
The only practical real world application I see for a stylus is if you need to capture a signature

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

....not even once

I have to agree with this. I had a Galaxy Note (loved it, by the way. That's why I'm getting this phone. I want the giant screen again but this time with a better OS) I legit used the stylus maybe 3 times in the year that I owned it. Any other time "using" it was actually showing off the device. It was kinda gimmicky. I have small hands and I still loved the phone. I'm sure I'll love this one too.

Jakeway

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I can understand not getting the massive 1520.... But Nokia have loads of mainstream phones.
Everything from the 925 down to 520 is mainstream isn't it? That must be 7 or more phones.

Sent from my Lumia 920 Tapatalk

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I tried out the 1520, and i didnt think it was too big honestly, but i am the wrong person to ask because i can palm and ipad 4 in one hand.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was in an AT&T store or he stumbled in on an Urban All Male Review.

Infarction, in the future be careful about cross posting with the Penthouse Letters forums.

:shocked::grin::grin::grin:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Played extensively with the 1520 at the Microsoft Store Today

I saw one at the AT&T store at a local mall (which also happens to have a MS store). I didn't have much time to play with the device but it sounds like my first impressions were about the same as everyone else's: beautiful screen, not as bulky or heavy as I imagined- but damn it is big. I can handle my 920 one-handed without too much difficulty; the 1520, not so much (I note this just as a piece of information; I don't particularly care one way or the other about one-handed phone use. To each his/her own).

Anyway, I did manage to snap a few comparison photos (using my 920) of the 1520 and the 920 on display next to it. Two things I noted after looking at these. First, the bottom bezel on the 1520 is noticeably smaller (while the top is a smidge larger). Overall, I love that it just seems like much less bezel compared to the 920. Second, the capacitive buttons are much closer together than on the 920, which I don't think looks as nice but is probably necessary for usability.

Lumia920and1520.jpg

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I went to my AT&T store and they had the area where they put the phone set up, just the phone wasn't there. They said they haven't gotten it yet. :'(

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I stopped being able to take this seriously here:

I took one look at the length of the post and stopped taking it seriously. OP: If you don't like somethng about the device then get another. It's like saying I'd like to have a Mac truck but only want to be the size of a Chevy S10.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Second, the capacitive buttons are much closer together than on the 920, which I don't think looks as nice but is probably necessary for usability.

I like this because I'm always hitting the search button when I'm doing other stuff. I must hold my 920 goofily.

TheLiege

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I can't even imagine pulling out a stylus on a phone. Writing on a screen with what amounts to a thick toothpick seems very awkward and time consuming.
I was disappointed that you gave a serious reply when his post contained such gems as pulling it out and not much you can't do with your fingers.

jayweh32

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

First Post here. Just joined to get more information about the 1520, but I had to comment on the search button. That is the one thing I hate about the 920 I always hit that darnn thing. Cant wait to actually get my hands on the 1520 for a test drive which should satisfy my needs for a tablet.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
NOKIA 1520 DISPLAY experince IM IN LOVE Positive Post Only

I just left the AT&T Store and had a life Altering Experience!!. I have been waiting for a big screened Windows Phone device. So bad that I bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The Note ll was nice , but I keep going back and using the Nokia Lumia 920 ( also on AT&T). Like most of you I was excited about the specs and the screen. Unlike most of you I am happy to purchase the AT&T variant , sans Q wireless and with only 16 GB.

Crazy at 1st glance I thought it was too small. Boy was I wrong . I went to pick it up and it was love at 1st site. I am a Software Engineering Student , former ' Flash *****" The size is perfect for editing documents ( for School and Work) .

I utilize the Cloud ,Skybox constantly. I don't need 64 GB plus expandable storage. I'm going with the ' NEXT' Plan. I will upgrade later if I change my mind.16 GB and Micro SD is sufficient. The price is right and anything bigger should not be on my phone. I have two laptops at home . I sold.

I respect those of you who disagree . This version isn't for you. Please respect my opinion. Europe is itching to get their hands on this device. Be a little bit more appreciative ( smile) :smile::smile:

breakingpoint0

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Glad you know what you like =) Nothing wrong with trying out new things. Thanks for reporting back your opinions! I'm not interested in this phone but I'm sure someone else will read it and take your opinions into account.

These large phones are inherently a niche market. The reason the Note 3 is huge is more than likely not because it's a large phone, but because of the pen functionality. Just a big screen isn't going to win the day, it has to have some other features to go along with it that people will pick it up for.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: NOKIA 1520 DISPLAY experince IM IN LOVE Positive Post Only

I have a question about Next. Hopefully you can answer it. When you normally buy the phone on contract. You have to pay $199+$36 upgrade fee+(tax on $549). In my state, this adds up to about $280. When you get NEXT, do you pay 0 upfront? Or just the tax? And how much are the monthly payments for the 1520?

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I like it big... 😍 King sized..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 India gdr3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs