Re: NOKIA 1520 DISPLAY experince IM IN LOVE Positive Post Only

its 27 dollars a month so for 12 months you would pay 324 dollars

Exactly ...but then you have to give it back ...you don't own the phone

Bottom line is that its a rip off and no one should even consider it

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Quick question: I preordered the white 1520 from the Microsoft store. I currently have a 920 on contract with AT&T, on which I pay extra each month for phone insurance. When my 1520 arrives and I retire my 920, will my insurance coverage automatically cover my new 1520??? Or am I going to have to be extra super cautious with my new phone??? Thanks.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I was following you until you said for free..
If you paid the $300 now, you'd then be able to keep the phone in the end.
If you paid the $350 overtime, you have to give the phone back lol. That's like paying all that money for a phone that's not yours. A lease even that costs just as much as a purchase.
It's like leasing a Lexus and paying the same as financing a lexus. Simply makes more sense to finance the car right?
And trust me I've weighed heavily back and forth on NEXT vs. credit card'ing the upgrade price. Just doesn't make sense to ever go with NEXT. It actually never makes sense and they only get true enthusiasts who probably aren't very frugal to begin with

Yup, you're right, got it! I was confused, and trust me, I've been so angry at ATT/Verizon for making the plan that is so deceiving that many people will choose it. But even I got tricked for a minute in to thinking it was a good deal, haha. Eff that plan! Don't do it OP!!!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: My thoughs on the Lumia 1520 from AT&T store today

you sure because I heard they disabled that on this phone . I really hope im wrong because I want this phone! Now what's the real difference between on board memory and expandable memory in regards to performance ,speed etc

That would be crazy if they disabled it! It's supposed to be the ultimate "productivity" tool(which i disagree with anyway) but regardless, I doubt they would do that. Also, neither the OS nor apps can be stored on the expandable storage, so there won't be any drawback. What you can store on the SD card is music, videos, photos, and possibly documents and other files. But those do not require a lot of quick IO action, so I doubt there will be a performance drawback there either.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Re: Just tried out the Lumia 1520. I stopped wanting it after one glance.

I am going to start looking around for one at a store in my area tomorrow. From what I am reading here I still can't wait to get my hands on this device. I am on the larger size for a human. 6-2 size 12 shoes. I am looking forwarded to having a device that doesn't look like a toy in my hand. I also have a hard time seeing text on my 4.5 inch screen L925. Its going to be nice to be able to read an email with my glasses on. The Note 3 was fine but the Galaxy Mega 6.3 I had was a better fit for me. The Mega felt good in my hand and even fit in my pocket. Most of the time I have a leather phone case on my picket or belt with my phone in it no matter what phone I carry. If I can find a pouch for the L1520 I'm set. I always use a Bluetooth when talking on the phone so I wont be holding it to my ear.

I think the ridiculous size phones fit me well. I like it when people say "What is that?" Once I have their attention I will have a chance to demonstrate what a WP can do. Showing off WP on a screen like that with TOTL hardware specs. You know in addition to the screen we get the fastest processer, biggest battery and that bitter sweet shimmer (Lumia Black). I am getting goose bumps.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

That would be crazy if they disabled it! It's supposed to be the ultimate "productivity" tool(which i disagree with anyway) but regardless, I doubt they would do that. Also, neither the OS nor apps can be stored on the expandable storage, so there won't be any drawback. What you can store on the SD card is music, videos, photos, and possibly documents and other files. But those do not require a lot of quick IO action, so I doubt there will be a performance drawback there either.
my issue is I'm on about 10gb of other on a 32gb 920 . Hows 16gb going to work out though?

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

It is easy to hold if you treat it like a tablet and hold it with your fingertips at an edge, but if you try to grasp around the body like a normal phone, it is far two wide and there is a giant amount of space behind the phone because it never touches your palm. My hands are pretty big and I find the 5.7" Note 3 at the upper range of my comfort size.

If your hands are "pretty big" than you should be able to hold a 1520 with ease. Heck, I can hold my gen 1 iPad in one hand easily

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I don't think they lost their mind at all with this handset. I can't see it was designed as a daily driver. Its too large for that. Older folk or those with vision challenges could benefit as well as those who love watching videos on their phones. I'm not one who does but plenty "cord cutters" do.
So its a phone for them. I could see companies issuing this to airline crews to take drink and food orders or restaurants, or companies that do landscaping or police that take traffic reports. Businesses that need a pocket-sized display would be all over the 1520.
I saw one Saturday night and it is larger than the Note 3, taller anyway. Inasmuch as I could get my big hand around both of them, I think the Note 3
bigphone.jpg is too big.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm not getting it.

Though I do think it's a sexy phone.

I'm still on contract with my Lumia 920, but if there was a compelling enough device I'd pay to get a new phone.

I'm still very happy with my 920, so it's not like I'm actively looking to upgrade.

However, if the 1520 had a real stylus, wireless charging, and at least 32 GB or storage I'd probably pick it up anyways.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't think they lost their mind at all with this handset. I can't see it was designed as a daily driver. Its too large for that. Older folk or those with vision challenges could benefit as well as those who love watching videos on their phones. I'm not one who does but plenty "cord cutters" do.
So its a phone for them. I could see companies issuing this to airline crews to take drink and food orders or restaurants, or companies that do landscaping or police that take traffic reports. Businesses that need a pocket-sized display would be all over the 1520.
I saw one Saturday night and it is larger than the Note 3, taller anyway. Inasmuch as I could get my big hand around both of them, I think the Note 3
View attachment 49425 is too big.

Its just a little taller than the Note 3?

Its tiny barley taller than the Note 3.... WOW

New one.jpg

The way it was described by the OP I was thinking it was huge. Its going to be smaller that the Galaxy Mega. That's great its not that big at all.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Why exactly would they disable data/voice simultaneous use for this particular device?

Not that I use that feature a lot but still.
you sure because I heard they disabled that on this phone . I really hope im wrong because I want this phone! Now what's the real difference between on board memory and expandable memory in regards to performance ,speed etc

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Holster carry is best for a large phone. The questionable part is whether anybody makes a good one. Now would be a good time e-mail your favorite case manufacture, if you haven't already.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

breakingpoint0

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I was following you until you said for free..
If you paid the $300 now, you'd then be able to keep the phone in the end.
If you paid the $350 overtime, you have to give the phone back lol. That's like paying all that money for a phone that's not yours. A lease even that costs just as much as a purchase.
It's like leasing a Lexus and paying the same as financing a lexus. Simply makes more sense to finance the car right?
And trust me I've weighed heavily back and forth on NEXT vs. credit card'ing the upgrade price. Just doesn't make sense to ever go with NEXT. It actually never makes sense and they only get true enthusiasts who probably aren't very frugal to begin with

The only upgrade plan that is worth it really is T-Mobile's JUMP!

Sprint - Save $15 a month on your bill but then pay the device cost and the $15 credit goes away if you end up keeping the phone longer than 2 years. Only benefit is $0 up front.
Verizon - I believe you pay nothing up front and then split out the cost of the phone over two years. Plans cost the same whether you spend the money up front for the phone or not.
AT&T - Essentially the same as Verizon. Already covered by others here =)
T-Mobile - Includes device protection and security(which together would cost more than the $10 fee they charge for JUMP). Phone cost is split out over 2 years(however, they already did this so it's nothing new to them). Only rub with T-Mobile is the down payment is required, though you do get to upgrade every 6 months instead of every year.

All of them cost money per month, all of them split the cost of the phone out over 2 years(fee + cost of phone added to your monthly bill), and all of them you trade the phone in if you upgrade early. In the end the person these plans are really geared towards are power users who have to have the newest phone, or someone who is really hard on their phones! Sadly carriers will end up pushing people who don't really need it.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumis 1520 Reviews

Well, I walked into a AT&T store last night because I had to check this thing out in person. I actually starting laughing when I walked up to it because the thing is huge, so I'm not quite sure but it may be something that at least myself would have to get used to. Currently I have a 920 but like most who doesn't like to have the latest and greatest, I really wish they would have went with a 5.5" screen though. I compared a LG Optimus G Pro and thought the size of that device was much more pleasing. The 1520 may be thinner but the height & width are just a tad too much. I do have to say the display on the 1520 is pretty amazing - there's no denying that! I kept holding it up to the side of my face to see what it would be like when talking....another have to get used to deal. I would almost certainly have to have a bluetooth headset.....which I haven't used for years now.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I cannot wait to get this phone! I am going to try to hold out for the 32 GB version. I need to find an AT&T store with one on display so I can make sure of the size/feel. I have messed around with the Samsung Mega 6.3, and it seemed fine, so the 1520 shouldn't be an issue since it's smaller. Also, as far as the Next program is concerned. I understand it is a horrible deal, but if you keep the phone the full 20 months or whatever, isn't it actually better than putting the full retail price on a credit card? If you make all of the payments, you get to keep the phone, and you made interest free payments on it. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Also, as far as the Next program is concerned..if you keep the phone the full 20 months or whatever, isn't it actually better than putting the full retail price on a credit card?
In terms of total dollars, yes. You'd pay $540 rather than $585 (plus interest if you don't pay off right away). But if you're going to keep the device for 20 months why not just sign a 2 year contract and pay only $199 up front? The Next plan is designed to entice people who want to upgrade more frequently. All details aside, though, you can basically assume that any new or special plan from AT&T or Verizon is going to be more expensive than their original plan. Any time a company promises more flexibility, or lower monthly payments or more freedom you can be pretty certain it will cost you.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

In terms of total dollars, yes. You'd pay $540 rather than $585 (plus interest if you don't pay off right away). But if you're going to keep the device for 20 months why not just sign a 2 year contract and pay only $199 up front? The Next plan is designed to entice people who want to upgrade more frequently. All details aside, though, you can basically assume that any new or special plan from AT&T or Verizon is going to be more expensive than their original plan. Any time a company promises more flexibility, or lower monthly payments or more freedom you can be pretty certain it will cost you.

Right, I completely agree with you. But if someone doesn't have an upgrade available and/or is planning on buying the phone outright on a credit card, then Next might be an option. Like me, for example, I am still under contract for my 900. I am not able to upgrade until April of 2014. However, I am able to upgrade with Next right now. So if I didn't have the money for the 1520, and was planning on charging it. Next would be a perfectly reasonable option, if I kept the phone for the 20 months. But I do agree that if you have an upgrade available, then Next is a terrible deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb