[Real Users] My Lumia 1520 Review

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Post your Nokia Lumia 1520 reviews right here. I will post mine right after I get one.

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Played extensively with the 1520 at the Microsoft Store Today

So I just wanted to post my thoughts on the 1520, and hopefully others can too in this thread.

The hardware is absolutely gorgeous. The build feels really good, and it's barely heavier than my 920, which is very surprising given the size (more on that below). It's also very skinny, and the camera bulge isn't noticeable at all.
But unfortunately, it was a lot bigger than I was expecting! I was trying to take pictures simultaneously with my 920 and the 1520, and I wasn't able to hold the 1520 and press the camera button with one hand. It's just not usable with one hand at all. Also, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the 1520 doesn't actually FEEL faster than 920. Switching screens, going to email, coming back, going to text messages, coming back to home, was identical in speed on both. I was trying to tap things at the same time to make sure I could see the speed improvements. Maybe it just goes to show how well optimized windows phone 8 is for dual core devices. That being said, the 1520 was just a hair faster than the 920 opening 3rd party apps. For example the camera app was faster by a couple milliseconds, but it wasn't AS fast as I was expecting. There was still a shot to shot delay that didn't seem any shorter than my 920.

I think this might be a fault with the current implementation of wp8, but I fully expect the snapdragon 800 to show it's might when WP8.1 launches. But until then, I plan on sticking it out with the 920. It runs WP8 at 60fps throughout the OS, and doesn't seem like GDR3 gains much from the new processor.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Played extensively with the 1520 at the Microsoft Store Today

That's ok. Some people prefer really big devices, but other people like smaller devices better. I'm sure that a lot of people will not mind the size. I've never taken a picture with one hand. However, I'm used to an SLR camera and some rather large lenses.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure gdr3 just made wp8 compatible with quad core. But didnt optimize it for...
I'm sure 8.1 will show speed improvements. I'm gonna invest in that future now. Well.. In two weeks lol

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to see if the 1520 is at the local AT&T store before pre-ordering to make sure it is really what I want. I know the specifications of the 1520 are supposed to be better than the 920 but I wasn't expecting to see a significant difference in speed. That is okay because my 920 is plenty fast enough for my needs. I played with a Sony Experia Z Ultra last week and it is definitely feels like a tablet that happens to make phone calls. I don't think the 1520 will be too big for my needs, my only real concern is running with it, but I want to check it out. Here is an online image of the 1520 and the Experia Z Ultra.

Attachments

• xtimthumb.php,qsrc=,hwww.mobilegeeks.de,_wp-content,_uploads,_2013,_10,_Nokia-Lumia-1520-vs-Sony.jpg
    xtimthumb.php,qsrc=,hwww.mobilegeeks.de,_wp-content,_uploads,_2013,_10,_Nokia-Lumia-1520-vs-Sony.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,710

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm just imagining all these people going to AT&T stores, putting 1520s in their pockets, then running. I'm sure that doesn't look suspicious. :smile:

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I think this might be a fault with the current implementation of wp8, but I fully expect the snapdragon 800 to show it's might when WP8.1 launches. But until then, I plan on sticking it out with the 920. It runs WP8 at 60fps throughout the OS, and doesn't seem like GDR3 gains much from the new processor.

I think you are missing the entire point of the WP8 design. What you described is one of the BEST PARTS of windows phone! You will ALWAYS get a buttery smooth and snappy user experience on WP8 REGARDLESS if you have an entry level 520 or a flagship 1520. What were you hoping for? That WP8 runs like Android? (i.e. runs like POO on anything other than flagship phones?) Where you'll see the difference is in things like FPS in very intense games, but the flow of the OS isn't going to be much different from device to device. This is one of the hugest factors in the success of the 520. A snappy phone for such a great price. My dad got it's main competitor phone (Galaxy Ace II X) and OMG it was SO PAINFUL to use I cannot describe how terrible it was. Thank God WP8 performance is comparable right across the entire spectrum of devices.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Nice. I recently came from the 6.44" Xperia Z Ultra and felt it was just slightly too big for my pockets. And when I had the 5.5" GN2, I was always left wanting just a little more screen real-estate. Looking at the picture pretty much confirms my thoughts that the 6" will be the "perfect size" for me. At least I sure hope so. I really need to take a break from buying new phones every other month.

Janak Patel

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I too went to an AT&T store yesterday to play with it and OMG, 1520 is a MONSTER compared to my 521. The screen is beautiful but one hand operation is not recommended. I took some pics to compare size to my 521 (only if I can figure out how to post them here) and I keep staring at the size and came to a conclusion, its definitely a niche device. Also it will not fit in any non standard jeans.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

WP hides its speed (or lack thereof) with constant motion and transitions. On a fast Android phone, or the latest iPhone with reduce motion turned on, things POP into place. No watching letters and tiles fly into place, little dots sliding along, or anything of that sort. It's a smooth experience, but not necessarily a fast one. I've encountered plenty of apps that take forever to load on WP compared to their counterparts on other platforms. It's just those fun moving dots are so mesmerizing...

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

For example the camera app was faster by a couple milliseconds, but it wasn't AS fast as I was expecting. There was still a shot to shot delay that didn't seem any shorter than my 920.

But I'm guessing this is much faster than the shot-to-shot time of the 1020? (which is about the only complaint I've read about the 1020 camera)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

WP hides its speed (or lack thereof) with constant motion and transitions. On a fast Android phone, or the latest iPhone with reduce motion turned on, things POP into place. No watching letters and tiles fly into place, little dots sliding along, or anything of that sort. It's a smooth experience, but not necessarily a fast one. I've encountered plenty of apps that take forever to load on WP compared to their counterparts on other platforms. It's just those fun moving dots are so mesmerizing...

Like what name an app please? My recent experience with the iPhone 5s tells me otherwise. If you can name an app I would like to have a try and see what it is you are talking about.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I got to play with the 1520 for about 1 hour from the AT&T store and Microsoft store, and I can tell you it is faster, but not terribly faster than my 920. The web browser is quicker, but the processor needs to be utilized more, but the web browser seems smoother and quicker but also the Nokia camera app works a lot better now. My only concern is that there will be new Qualcomm chips announced at ces 2014 and I hope it will not outdate the 800 chip. I will definitely be buying this phone because the display is just gorgeous.

Last edited:

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Electronics are always outdated in a fee months, and something is always being announced. You'll never get a new device if you worry about that.

BDBDBD

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I also played with the 1520 in the store. The size and speed were alright. I'm sure the size would become normal after awhile.

What somewhat disappointed me was the phone was not optimized for the display. The fonts were huge and I checked under settings and they were already at the smallest setting. As a crude analogy, it feels like buying a great new high res 24" monitor and then running it 800x640 resolution. I'm a WP8 fan so I hope this can be corrected in a later update although I have a feeling that this will only come with 8.1 at the earliest.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

So basically what everyone has been saying for YEARS is true? Windows Phone doesn't need four cores to run butter smooth?

My biggest gripe is that things like Whatsapp take forever to open. It's a joke.

We'll see what 8.1 does.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I went to check it out today at the local att store. I'm 6'3" with large hands so one-handed use would not be a issue for me. It's weight feels balanced and lighter than the 920. I was wearing khaki pants and it fit into the front pocket well. I liked it a lot but I'm going to wait for a 920 update before deciding.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to see if the 1520 is at the local AT&T store before pre-ordering to make sure it is really what I want. I know the specifications of the 1520 are supposed to be better than the 920 but I wasn't expecting to see a significant difference in speed. That is okay because my 920 is plenty fast enough for my needs. I played with a Sony Experia Z Ultra last week and it is definitely feels like a tablet that happens to make phone calls. I don't think the 1520 will be too big for my needs, my only real concern is running with it, but I want to check it out. Here is an online image of the 1520 and the Experia Z Ultra.
lol buddy I would NOT run with the 1520. Your best bet is to just get a 520 or HTC 8X for running. I'm gonna be using my gf's old 8X for running. Strap that to my arm and take advantage of DAT beats

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo