I want it......but don't want to look stupid.....

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
42984345.jpg

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's like you read my mind here and posted on my behalf.

I agree with most, don't worry about what other people think or say. You buy it for you, not for them. Can't wait to get mine but still not quite decided on what color.
My biggest problem is color too.
Yellow is a big no for me. Red is attractive but I'm not going that route. It's between black and white. Might just go with white since my 920 was a glossy white and I always wondered how it'd be to have a matte white phone

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
don't buy it. it will be pretty expensive (unless you get carrier subsidies). and windows phone as a platform isn't honestly ready for devices of that high price range.
apps lack (they are coming but are no match to the iOS catalogue). the OS still lacks functionality. ( lock and custom sounds were there even on old symbian s60v5 phones.)
and the biggest negative is the thing is a phablet, and has no stylus. plus the OS restricts Nokia to play around beyond a limit. they can't do anything but make you believe that the camera and screen are worth the price. they're good, no denial. but still, it's the OS that you will be interacting with the most. and as i said, WP as a platform is not ready for devices that expensive. one extra row of tiles is fine. but what else does one get out of the size? they may release smaller screened quad cores in future (929 is coming), which will at least be more sensible.
but in the end this is my opinion. and you should do what you feel is right. :)
It's actually not that expensive compared to others. And people like you will always say apps are lacking even if windows phone has a million apps. It's just 'the thing to do". You do realize that windows phone nor android will ever catch up to ioS right? Like... ever
So no point in mentioning it.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i went and played with the 1520 at at&t store today. it feels good in the hand with the rounded edges. the screen quality is amazing. it flies as you are messing with the UI. i didnt think it could get anymore smooth when comparing it to my 1020, but it has. the camera quality is amazing. it processes pics fast. the focus on it was very fast and almost unnoticeable from the view screen. it is very lite feeling with it being a 6 inch phone. i was surprised by how lite it felt. i had intentions on pre-ordering one today but something stopped me. the size of it. it's just too big. i put it up to my ear like i was speaking on a call and looked at myself in the mirror. it doesnt look right. the size of it reminds me of a mini tablet. when texting my thumbs had to move alot of distance to tap the letters.

it has alot of big pluses for the windows phone ecosystem, but i just couldnt get over the size of it. so i'm going to have to wait for a 5 inch windows phone to come out on at&t. i hope 2014 has one for at&t.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
The only thing, imo, that looks sillier than people talking into these enormous devices are the people who use their tablets to take pictures

I totally agree! I cringe every time I see someone whip out there iPad to take a photo (or worse yet...a video) of something. Personally, I don't see the need for a tablet to have a camera. Just let it get images from my phone.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree! I cringe every time I see someone whip out there iPad to take a photo (or worse yet...a video) of something. Personally, I don't see the need for a tablet to have a camera. Just let it get images from my phone.

Yep, the only tablet I have ever seen where a camera was used for anything worthwhile was the rumored Microsoft Courier....RIP.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
i went and played with the 1520 at at&t store today. it feels good in the hand with the rounded edges. the screen quality is amazing. it flies as you are messing with the UI. i didnt think it could get anymore smooth when comparing it to my 1020, but it has. the camera quality is amazing. it processes pics fast. the focus on it was very fast and almost unnoticeable from the view screen. it is very lite feeling with it being a 6 inch phone. i was surprised by how lite it felt. i had intentions on pre-ordering one today but something stopped me. the size of it. it's just too big. i put it up to my ear like i was speaking on a call and looked at myself in the mirror. it doesnt look right. the size of it reminds me of a mini tablet. when texting my thumbs had to move alot of distance to tap the letters.

it has alot of big pluses for the windows phone ecosystem, but i just couldnt get over the size of it. so i'm going to have to wait for a 5 inch windows phone to come out on at&t. i hope 2014 has one for at&t.

I am worried about the size also. I haven't had a chance to handle a 1520, but I have used a Galaxy Mega 6.3 and found it reasonable. I think I will become used to the size with time, and I very rarely hold a phone up to my head to make a phone call. Usually the only time I talk on the phone is in my car, which is through bluetooth. My phone is mainly used as a time waster, (games, videos, etc.) so that screen is going to be awesome. I have also been putting off replacing my shattered Nexus 7 for a year or so, i figure a phone this big can just double as a small tablet.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Who cares, it's about what YOU like. I had a Note and a Note II for a while, yes people made fun of them, but I enjoyed the phones while I had them. I checked out the 1520 and I think it's great. I'd consider it, however I just got myself a 925 and I'm quite happy with that right now. Don't let the opinions of others keep you from using what you really want.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I soooooooo want the 1520....quad core, full HD experience, loads of memory, 20m camera....hell, what's not to like. But damn its big, my mates were like"dude....no!! You can't walk around with that, you'll look like a nub!!" why oh why can't they pack those specs into a 4.5" or even a 5" device.....why why why!!!

Who cares if your friends say you will look like a limb with a portion cut off?

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand this whole issue with using a 6" screen cell phone???

How is this any different from speaking into a traditional phone, or a cordless phone? Both of those are far larger than a 1520?

Where did this cultural expectation come from, that one must be speaking into the absolute smallest cellular communication device possible?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this whole issue with using a 6" screen cell phone???

How is this any different from speaking into a traditional phone, or a cordless phone? Both of those are far larger than a 1520?

Where did this cultural expectation come from, that one must be speaking into the absolute smallest cellular communication device possible?

I couldn't agree with you more. Great points.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I always feel it's cringe-worthy when I see this.... a person speaking on a phone with the flip-cover fully open. It would either be dangling & swinging in front of the face or hitting the nose. LOL

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I soooooooo want the 1520....quad core, full HD experience, loads of memory, 20m camera....hell, what's not to like. But damn its big, my mates were like"dude....no!! You can't walk around with that, you'll look like a nub!!" why oh why can't they pack those specs into a 4.5" or even a 5" device.....why why why!!!
It sounds like your friends are stuck on the idea of phones only should be 4.5-5 inches at best, and trying to force their ideas on you by hating and throwing shade on the 1520. Do not fall for it, If you like the 1520, buy it, and let the haters hate bruh.

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
it's not just about the number of apps. i'm also talking about their quality.
it's been over an year 720p screen WPs came out. but how many games support this resolution? very few.
i bought skulls of shogun last week for my 925 and was totally disappointed.
you have any idea how disastrous the experience would be on a 1080p 6 inch screen?
and save for the OS and few apps, others still have bad resolutions.
and what is the use of such a big phone if you just wanna watch media and browse the web? get a proper tablet instead. this doesn't even support a stylus.
trust me, i'm a die-hard Nokia fan and a WP enthusiast, but the progress they have had of late is disappointing.

InfiniteRefrain

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I loved my Galaxy Notes; and, like others, rarely used it for talking into. There is always speaker phone or a BT headset. It's a little bigger than I can handle one-handed but I am still going to pick it up. If it doesn't work for you, you'll only have to pay the $35 re-stock fee and swap for the 1020 or the 925. Hell, you can also use NEXT and pick up the smaller model when they release one.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I do many other things that already make me look stupid, so the size of my phone and what people think is the least of my concerns. And it should be for you too.

billytx97

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It fits comfortably in my jeans front pocket as well as work pants, I just accept using it with 2 hands, and there is nothing stupid about using a badass piece of hardware and OS, I love it. My 920 seems tiny now !

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It fits comfortably in my jeans front pocket as well as work pants, I just accept using it with 2 hands, and there is nothing stupid about using a badass piece of hardware and OS, I love it. My 920 seems tiny now !

Good man! Wearing pants cut for your own gender! :grin: Yeah, I went from an iPhone 4S to the 920 and now the 1520. I don't know if I could down size now. Maybe 5.5"...Maybe lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon