07-17-2015 07:36 PM
69 123
tools
    I can confirm that T-Mobile has refarmed GSM 1900 to HSPA in Columbus & LaGrange, GA and Auburn-Opelika, AL where we live. That's the good news, but one caveat, as T-Mobile users realize, the moment you leave any city limit welcome to the world of 2G EDGE. I live in a town of 443 people and despite whatever negatives we have about AT&T; their entire 1900 network is now HSPA+ and their MVNOs are clocking in at HSPA+ speeds of up to 7.2 megs. I continue to use interop/developer unlocked Titans running 7.8 and AT&T has dismal sub 1.5 to 3.0 megs down, but wherever I have refarmed 1900 with a T-Mobile SIM...running on average 4.0 to 7.2 megs down which was extremely refreshing, but the moment I left town, back to 2G EDGE so while it's welcome to see the ugrade, it's not the coverage AT&T has on its network in rural areas which is another sore issue with me because there is absolutely no T-Mobile coverage in the Thomaston, GA area...a donut hole that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. You think we pay less, nope!. I have my decision down to the Lumia 1520 on Straight Talk (AT&T) or Note 3 on T-Mobile. My problem is no T-Mobile where my wife and I live in GA and barely...maybe a no bar signal from AT&T on Straight Talk at our other home in Opelika, AL where our kids are. I'm thinking of going with a Wilson Amplifier but I don't know how good these amps are and whether they do what they say...so...more homework.
    12-11-2013 02:27 AM
    You're correct; AT&T does not offer "true" 4G LTE on any of their MVNOs. They do offer HSPA+ and on Straight Talk (AT&T) our speeds are maxing out at their cap, 7.2 megs down on the HTC One (M7) 64GB Developer's Edition from HTC.com $649.00
    12-11-2013 02:34 AM
    If a phone is bought out at full price, doesn;t the customer get to use it on any network he/she likes? Or is there a catch? I am not too familiar with phone contracts in the US.

Turns out carriers (or at least AT&T) have started subsidizing the full price of the phone, even off contract. The reason is, if the phone is locked to their network, they still benefit from your using the phone on their network (even if it's through an MVNO). The true unlocked 1520s that I've seen are like $800 while the AT&T "off contract" pricing is well under $600. 16GB of ram and Qi doesn't cost $200.
    12-11-2013 11:32 AM
    You're correct; AT&T does not offer "true" 4G LTE on any of their MVNOs. They do offer HSPA+ and on Straight Talk (AT&T) our speeds are maxing out at their cap, 7.2 megs down on the HTC One (M7) 64GB Developer's Edition from HTC.com $649.00
    I think ST has started offering LTE on AT&T. At least I read that somewhere (and I think someone confirmed it here).

One thing I like about T-Mobile is they have up to 42Mbps HSPA+ in many areas, which I've found can be as good as other carrier's LTE in some places. I have never been that happy with the HSPA performance of my Titan on AT&T, and I think one reason is that phone is locked to the 7.2Mbps category.
    12-11-2013 11:34 AM
    IF you are in a bind like I was and are overseas, they might help you, you can check out my very first post. If you just want to switch to TMobile, it may be a bit harder and I have no experience with it. Just in case anyone is looking so they can travel overseas.
    12-11-2013 06:08 PM
    What do I need to to in order to get the Nokia Lumia 1520 unlocked and working with my tmobile plan?

and will the phone work with Tmobile?
    I bought my New Nokia Lumia 1520 Quad-Core 20MP 4G LTE (FACTORY UNLOCKED) 32GB and QI Charging w/no Tmobile LTE band one week ago and even though I don't live (or work in for that matter) in a Reframed Tmobile area, I get decent reception and WIFI is readily available at both work and home. That being said, almost everywhere surrounding me is Reframed and Tmobile's H+ really is Blazing Fast in Washington DC and it's surrounding areas, so the tradeoff (for me at least) is worth it. I did my Research prior to my purchase and knew what I was getting myself into so, even though $689 is a hefty price for a cell phone, I got what I wanted and I'm extremely happy the device. Just keep in mind that there are tradeoffs and if your willing to live without TMO LTE, Visual Voicemail and WIFI calling, this is the phone/tablet for you.
    Link where I bought mine: New Nokia Lumia 1520 Quad-Core 20MP 4G LTE (FACTORY UNLOCKED) 32GB White Phone | eBay
    GOOD LUCK And ENJOY!!!
    drbanks and 5150 Joker like this.
    12-15-2013 10:20 AM
    Hi Jnelson071 do you had a total satisfactory experience buying with tropical-mobile on ebay?? the vendor sent the phone with FED EX? I never before bought a phone from an ebay seller =S
    12-20-2013 12:42 PM
    I am told by a friend that sells the Canadian version of this phone. It is unlocked but won't get LTE ..
    12-20-2013 04:53 PM
    Yes Pacherecords, my entire experience thus far has been wonderful! My phone arrived in an unexpected 3 days which is fast by any standard and was exactly as described with all accessories included. All I had to do was enter my sim card from T-Mobile and I was in business. I was a little disappointed at first because I couldn't test the H or H+ speeds due to my area not being Refarmed but once I got to see this baby at full tilt in my surrounding areas, I was completely satisfied. Besides, I don't need 4G or LTE @ home because WiFi is readily available.
    Pacherecords likes this.
    12-20-2013 07:07 PM
    QOAM, It has LTE capability but, it's not supported by AT&T or T-Mobile because it doesn't have the necessary bands.
    12-20-2013 07:19 PM
    I have been using Nokia 1520 at&t unlocked without any problem or compromise on speed. If your area has LTE coverage there is no problem. Following is what is required to get it unlocked. Let me admit that getting it unlocked with at&t is painful process and their CS is polite but they did so many dumb mistakes that I had to believe either they are dumb or playing dumb to frustrate me (non at&t customer). I submitted my request through a family member who was at&t customer but mistakenly family member told that we are getting it unlocked to be used for t mobile.

To get it unlocked you must buy a 1520 by paying full price or at least it should not be under contract (at one step they want proof of purchase too), your request to unlock should be submitted through existing at&t customer or you have to start new prepaid/postpaid line and be their customer for atleast 60 days. It can take upto 7-15 days and multiple calls to get it unlocked.

SOME NOTES REGARDING NOKIA 1520 after 2-3 weeks of use.
    Nokia 1520 is fun to use but quite uncomfortable fitting in regular pockets ( it slides in most regular trouser/pant pockets but make them brick shaped. Biggest problem is camera lens is bulged out little and if you don't have proper cover/case it can damage/scratch it easily if you lay down device. Even genuine case from Nokia does not appear to protect lenses.
    01-26-2014 02:38 PM
    I am told by a friend that sells the Canadian version of this phone. It is unlocked but won't get LTE ..
    I just got my brand new 1520 unlock code today from a buddy at ATT. Everything is working just like my Note 2 on Tmobile. Wow, what a phone!
    02-03-2014 09:20 PM
    So I'm a current AT&T customer living in the Twin Cities, MN (a T-Mobile 4 LTE area according to their map). If I'm considering getting the 1520, it seems like my two choices are 1. Get the RM-937 Global Version and get 3G/HSPA+. Get the AT&T version (RM-940, correct?) and then have LTE if I'm in the correct area (assuming Twin Cities should be fine) and if I leave that I just get 2G. Is that an accurate assessment of the situation?

And if I go with the RM-937 version, I don't need to get it unlocked since it's already unlocked, correct? I only need to go through AT&T if I buy their version, the RM-940?

Thanks in advance...
    02-17-2014 12:36 PM
    So I'm a current AT&T customer living in the Twin Cities, MN (a T-Mobile 4 LTE area according to their map). If I'm considering getting the 1520, it seems like my two choices are 1. Get the RM-937 Global Version and get 3G/HSPA+. Get the AT&T version (RM-940, correct?) and then have LTE if I'm in the correct area (assuming Twin Cities should be fine) and if I leave that I just get 2G. Is that an accurate assessment of the situation?

And if I go with the RM-937 version, I don't need to get it unlocked since it's already unlocked, correct? I only need to go through AT&T if I buy their version, the RM-940?

Thanks in advance...

well for the RM940 is a little more complicated, but you can buy it and have it unlocked by other websites, the RM937 will give you 3G, and fluctuates to H+, but even so most of the time you will be in 3G, which is way slower than what you get on LTE, which would be the case with the RM940.
    02-17-2014 12:49 PM
    So I live in Atlanta and spend about 95% of my time in the 4g/lte areas so ill be just fine with a unlocked att 1520?
    02-18-2014 11:10 PM
    Do someone know who can unlock my Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 AT&T for me.
    I don't think it's a good idea to put your number on an open website plus on the other hand I don't think that you will get anyone to call someone they don't know and who has only one post on a website.

However I'm sure that someone will reply with advise on here.
    Last edited by stmav; 04-01-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: link removed
    04-01-2014 02:28 PM
    I got mine unlocked through cellunlock.net. Took a couple of weeks, though.
    04-01-2014 07:37 PM
    I use a bunch of unlocked AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520s (RM-940) and 1020s (RM-877) and one Rogers pentaband 1020 on my Simple Choice T-Mobile account and they work fine on LTE, 4G and calling only on E, which I believe is 2G Edge. I have never seen 3G come up on any of them, but there are actually few places I use it where 3G service is the best T-Mo provides. I did enable all the radio bands the 1520 phones have. Texting/SMS also works fine. What neither the 1520 nor 1020 has is wi-fi calling, so if that is an important feature for you, better get a T-Mobile phone that has it, like the Lumia 635 or 640.
    07-16-2015 03:41 PM
    Bought mine from Expansys unlocked. Popped in my T Mobile sim and restarted the phone. Everything just worked. Did the hack listed here
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-band-4-a.html to enable T Mobile bands and it worked like a charm. Easy.
    rdubmu likes this.
    07-17-2015 07:36 PM
69 123