Pictures & Videos Taken With My Lumia 1520

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
re: Pictures & Videos Taken With My Lumia 1520

View attachment 61126

This is a pretty heavily massaged photo that I took this last Sunday in Downtown Minneapolis.

The original was a bracketed shot (-1 EV, 0 EV, +1 EV) taken while enjoying the 1st 60 degree day in Minneapolis in a while, with the 3-shot exposure held steady by bracing it on the wall of the Minneapolis City Hall. Interesting thing was when I got home I noticed one single person crossing the street in red/black jumping out at me in the midst of all the gray/black of what was a fairly overcast day.

The bracketed images were combined for an HDR image using PhotoMatix Essentials and rendered using the surreal filter in the application. Once that was done I pulled the image into Digital Image Suite and washed out everything in the image but the "Lady in Red".

- Michael

Great shot.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Sam, I like your landscapes, but think you'd be better served shooting them with your dslr equipment. The trees are very flat with two or perhaps three shades of green/black coming through.

Thx for feedback. :)
You are right, this is not a good shot, mainly because it's against the light, and that's very tricky, specially without a lens hood. Besides, it's exposed for the bright sky, and the rest has become too dark and grainy.

I'm still experimenting to learn the tricks and limits for this little monster, and have been pushing it too far too sometimes, but these kind of feedbacks can always help to improve.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

It's a raw shot, right? Was expecting a little bit more from 1520's dynamic range...still overall looks great.
Thx, yeah that's a RAW shot with a fast processing.
A better possessing could improve shadows, but considering the huge range from those white clouds to dark shadows under trees in left side, the camera is doing pretty good actually.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thx, yeah that's a RAW shot with a fast processing.
A better possessing could improve shadows, but considering the huge range from those white clouds to dark shadows under trees in left side, the camera is doing pretty good actually.

I think it's a great shot, you got to remember that this is a camera on a phone.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Are all the photos in that playlist from L1520?
If yes, then just wow!
How did you manage to get such great shots? What settings?

Thx :). All my shots posted on this forum are with Lumia 1520. But if you mean my flicker-page, they are mostly with Sony Alpha A77 and some expensive lenses.

For Lumia 1520 I usually use RAW and ISO=100, the rest on auto.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Thank you, Sam! However you uploaded this image, I am actually able to view it within the WPC app! That doesn't happen very often these days.

NP :) I started by uploading directly to WPC, but then I didn't have much control over the image. In my recent posts, I'm uploading the image to my Flicker-page and embedding it into these posts.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Still playing with the HDR capabilities of the 1520. The capabilities are pretty impressive but the camera really needs to be in a fixed-mount of some type to do a good job since 3-shot (and especially 5-shot) brackets take so long.

Anyway, both shots below were taken this morning looking down at the intersection of 5th and 2nd in downtown Minneapolis. This was a 5 shot bracketed composition with the exposure stepping set in -1, +1 EV steps. The images were combined using Photomatix Essentials in Windows 8.1

First shot is using an HDR/Surreal Filter

WP 20140407 122711 Pro Surreal 1.jpg

Second Shot is using an HDR/Natural Filter

WP20140407 122711 HDR 1.jpg

- Michael

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Still playing with the HDR capabilities of the 1520. The capabilities are pretty impressive but the camera really needs to be in a fixed-mount of some type to do a good job since 3-shot (and especially 5-shot) brackets take so long.

Anyway, both shots below were taken this morning looking down at the intersection of 5th and 2nd in downtown Minneapolis. This was a 5 shot bracketed composition with the exposure stepping set in -1, +1 EV steps. The images were combined using Photomatix Essentials in Windows 8.1

First shot is using an HDR/Surreal Filter

Second Shot is using an HDR/Natural Filter

- Michael

I prefer the more natural looking one over the surreal one. Does windows phone have a built-in HDR feature?

Lobster Place, at Chelsea Market, New York, NY
WP_20140301_002 edit.jpg

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I prefer the more natural looking one over the surreal one. Does windows phone have a built-in HDR feature?

There are HDR photo apps available, but I've really not found one I like yet, and it is still hard to match the image processing power of a dedicated desktop image program and high-power GPU for doing HDR manipulation.

I am finding that I love the Bracketing features in the 1520, in some respects they are more flexible than the Micro 2/3's Sony RX100 I play with. Brackets can be adjusted for 3 or 5 shots and stops can be adjusted over a wide range. The only real gripe I have is that it takes a full second between shots so a 5-frame bracket is 5 seconds. You pretty much have to brace the 1520 or use a tripod to get a decent set of bracket shots given the slow speed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa