I'm referring to this post in a different topic: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ml#post2220337

Did not want that topic to get de-railed, so asking the question here. What's so bad about the ATT branded one? Just some bloatware?
    11-17-2013 10:36 AM
    To make it more affordable and those that want more can always buy an SD card
    11-17-2013 10:39 AM
    "Bloat ware" is not an issue for WP. Anything can be uninstalled without a root. MS has tight control on integration like Apple. People feel it was neutered with the removal of wireless charging and the decreased onboard storage. That opinion has some merit but, with an on contract cost of $199/$99 it kind of makes up for it.
    11-17-2013 10:39 AM
    To clarify/amplify the answers above...

As TenTwelve said, the AT&T version is missing some features that are in the other versions of the 1520. Specifically, the basic model has 32GB built-in, the AT&T version has only 16GB; likewise, the basic one has Qi wireless charging built-in, but the AT&T version requires a case to provide the wireless charging "coil" that that coil is not compatible with the wireless charging accessories sold with the Lumia line for the past year.

IamJonso suggests that these changes were made for economic reasons (i.e., low price), but AT&T has formally said that the wireless charging removal is because AT&T is part of a different group of companies that supports a different way of doing wireless charging. They had Nokia remove the Qi wireless charging coil because they support the rival Power Matters Alliance. He also glosses over the memory issue by saying that you can add a memory card, which is true, but which isn't fully honest. The storage space on memory cards in Windows Phone are not equal to the built-in memory. Specifically, while they can hold media (photos, music, etc), they can't hold apps or email. A user could find themselves unable to add new apps or download more email, even if they had lots of memory card space available. As such, the drop from 32GB to 16GB is significant to some users while it's totally OK with others.
    11-17-2013 12:02 PM
    Its seriously time to move on ...this issue has been discussed ad nasuem
    Get over it ...for $100 you can live without qi
    11-17-2013 12:35 PM
    manicottiK, Which WP do you own?
    11-18-2013 06:44 AM
    Here below is the response I got from Don Mooers of AT&T. Good news about the memory issue, but still no built-in wireless charging.
    -Derek

"Dear Mr. Thomas,

We traded email a few weeks ago and you shared your concerns about the Lumia 1520. I know we haven’t addressed all of your issues but I am pleased to report, on the topic of device memory, we have a solution that I sincerely hope will meet your needs. We will offer a 32GB version of the 1520 in the near future – please stay tuned for pricing and availability. We are also offering 50GB of free storage on AT&T Locker.

Our community forum manager has posted some additional information here.

Thank you for allowing us to provide your wireless service.

Kind regards,
    Don Mooers
    AT&T"
    11-18-2013 11:35 AM
    manicottiK, Which WP do you own?
    Lumia 920.

I returned a lent 1020 because of the lack of Qi charging and the awkwardness of holding it. The former is an issue because I have so many charging plates due to an ordering screw-up that left us with a double-order; this means that I can easily charge pretty much everywhere I sit at home or work. That latter is because I felt uncomfortable with having my finger placed over the camera bulge. (This was probably a psychological thing about fear of messing up the camera, but I couldn't break myself of the behavior of moving my finger lower on the chassis.) When I hold the 1020 below the camera bulge the phone feels top-heavy tilts out of my hand.

What I want is a 5" display, the 1020's camera, 32GB, and Qi. Extra core are unneeded (at least for me); an SD slot wouldn't be bad, but it's not a big motivator for me. I'm torn between IPS and OLED; one for accuracy, the other for nightstand use.
    11-18-2013 01:43 PM