Kudos to Engadget

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
They've posted one of the most fair, balanced, and most comprehensive reviews I've seen of the 1520. They perfectly highlighted all the positives of the hardware, software and design, and were perfectly straightforward about the negatives and shortcoming of the device and of the WP8 ecosystem. They even included performance benchmarks comparing it to previous Nokia flagships. You usually don't see them give that kind of attention to detail when reviewing a WP, especially on a site that's well known for its love of all things Apple lol. It's well worth the read.

Nokia Lumia 1520 review: the best Windows Phone device yet

One thing I've taken away from all reviews is that with the move to Snapdragon 800, WP is already so optimized that it doesn't make a difference in the general UI. MS should include an option to disable animations (like on Android and iOS) to please the spec heads.

Gizmodo's "review" was just... lol. Not even sure it could be called a review.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I never got why people in this forum have something against Engadget. I read this homepage since I use Windows Mobile devices (and I switched to Windows Phone as soon as it was released), and I never saw any reason not to read it anymore.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I never got why people in this forum have something against Engadget. I read this homepage since I use Windows Mobile devices (and I switched to Windows Phone as soon as it was released), and I never saw any reason not to read it anymore.

I stopped reading Engadget for a long while due to click-bait headlines, them constantly comparing the merits of every new product against something released from apple, their deleting of comments that weren't against the guidelines, and some very poorly written editorials. The breaking point was when I was banned for asking a mod who was trolling Android users in an article "Is this the kind of behavior Engadget expects from its staff?" lol. It looks like it's improved a bit since then.

Last edited:

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Shockingly cnet was good to well for cnet standards.....4 stars! But Gizmodo was really really harsh on it.....they just made the typical points its too big and that the camera wasn't impressive....sorta a one sided review I could have seen cnet do instead

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Gizmodo's "review" was just... lol. Not even sure it could be called a review.

LOL I read the Gizmodo piece... Calling that a review would be a massive overstatement. Unless one would call a "it is too big.... has a camera... is too big.... had a screen... is too big... and by the way, don't buy it because it is too big" rant a review... it is a 6 inch screen, what did this guy expect?

I agree on the engadget review.... they actually did a great job this time.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Engadget has been pretty fare as of late, 3 to 4 months....they don't rate the products anymore realizing everyone has their own preference for them...I actually enjoy their site the most! Phonedog.com is good to imo...ya Aaron is a little annoying but he just tells ya what works and doesn't. He has admitted to liking touchwiz as his OS for Android but lately he has been better too.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
gizmodo is filled with a bunch of apple ****** losers
..which I don't understand since Jobs banned them from Apple events after they paid to buy that "lost" iPhone 4 in the bar

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Is there review where you can load full sized camera photo samples? Only thing that i care this point is if camera is good enough compared to competition. 1020 is in league of its own but anything else i'm interested. Verge gave cameras only 7 and i think that is completely bull****.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
gizmodo is filled with a bunch of apple ****** losers
..which I don't understand since Jobs banned them from Apple events after they paid to buy that "lost" iPhone 4 in the bar

I was going to say the same thing. Giz got their hands on a iPhone prior to release a few years back and Apple slapped them around with their legal teams, banned them from events etc. Yet they still brown nose to Apple.

I guess the Apple Kool Aid has strong effects.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I was going to say the same thing. Giz got their hands on a iPhone prior to release a few years back and Apple slapped them around with their legal teams, banned them from events etc. Yet they still brown nose to Apple.

I guess the Apple Kool Aid has strong effects.

Gizmodo reminds me of a creepy, crazed stalker who only gets more obsessive with their target (apple) after given a restraining order.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
That was a great review. I wonder why their gallery of camera shots looks terrible though. Like there is something wrong with the script that runs the slideshow or something.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
LOL I read the Gizmodo piece... Calling that a review would be a massive overstatement. Unless one would call a "it is too big.... has a camera... is too big.... had a screen... is too big... and by the way, don't buy it because it is too big" rant a review... it is a 6 inch screen, what did this guy expect?

I agree on the engadget review.... they actually did a great job this time.
The gizmodo review is pretty much in the same style as last years 920 review when they spent half the review complaining about the weight.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I want to read their reviews on Samsungs offerings. Mainly the Note range and the Mega.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Some links to Gizmodo reviews of those Samsung devices...

Samsung Galaxy Mega Review: A Big Phone, a Small Tablet, a Bad Buy

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review: Biggerer and Betterer

Seriously, even the Galaxy Mega review is more positive than the 1520 review even if they criticise it during some sections, as that review is not written in the same nasty tone as the Lumia review. Most important difference is most likely that it has been done by different reviewers. Like when they describe the results in low light with the camera as complete garbage, seriously, come on, that is obviously not the case. What are you going to say in the reviews of the rest of the phones on the market then?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon