11-23-2013 10:39 AM
104 12345
tools
    iphone 5s has a very good camera as per reviews, include camera comparision test on wpcentral, in terms of image quality in auto mode it was nowhere behind 1020.
    I know that iPhone 5S has a great camera. In fact apple has produced great smartphone cameras since iPhone 4S. But it should be compared with 8MP race.

Just like the way we can't compare Lumia 1520, 1020 or Xperia Z1 with a high end professional DSLR camera like Nikon D7100. Similarly you can't compare an iPhone camera with the league of Lumia 1020, 1520 or Xperia Z1. It will always fall short.

When it comes to details, image quality, I don't see any reason why iPhone with a small sensor would produce a better and detailed image quality compared to 1520. At best it can produce an image quality that can match with these gigantic smartphones, but can't outclass them.
    11-19-2013 08:39 AM
    A pretty good review but my jaw dropped when I saw 7.4 as the score. Such BS. And one of the bad things is that you can't watch a movie offline? Really?? Dig a little deeper....

I need to go look at PhoneDog when they come out with a review.
    11-19-2013 08:48 AM
    Sorry double post. @moderator, can you please delete it?
    There's an option to delete the post when you edit it.
    11-19-2013 09:10 AM
    When it comes to details, image quality, I don't see any reason why iPhone with a small sensor would produce a better and detailed image quality compared to 1520. At best it can produce an image quality that can match with these gigantic smartphones, but can't outclass them.
    A lot depends on the processing algorithms as well, Nokia pro camera had many issue when first launched, ex. the images were quite soft and not sharp. my point is many of us are behaving like absolute fanboys, trashing iphone 5s camera completely, I agree most of the reviews there on net are biased but that said, 1520 or 1020 doesnt just completely crush iphone 5s in camera area.
    maverick786us likes this.
    11-19-2013 09:26 AM
    I have the 5s and have been dying to get away from iOS for the last 3yrs.
    But the 5S only came out two months ago! If I remember well - and please do correct me if I am wrong - both Android and Windows phones were available in shops in September this year. I think you could have saved yourself wasting money on the 5S.
    11-19-2013 09:42 AM
    A lot depends on the processing algorithms as well, Nokia pro camera had many issue when first launched, ex. the images were quite soft and not sharp. my point is many of us are behaving like absolute fanboys, trashing iphone 5s camera completely, I agree most of the reviews there on net are biased but that said, 1520 or 1020 doesnt just completely crush iphone 5s in camera area.
    I agree with you, that if you leave loss zoom and detailed caused by bigger lens aside, iPhone 5s has produced excellent image quality. Which is as good as 1020. Right now 1520 is still in prototype stage, so there are things are needs to be improved
    techiez likes this.
    11-19-2013 09:43 AM
    Overall, it read as a positive review with what I thought were some valid criticisms. Hopefully, MS and Nokia will take note and listen. I'd be curious to see what a comparison of the video would show.

Apple puts out an overall good camera experience which may not always be apparent on paper.

I'm still getting the 1520 even though I see some faults in it.
    11-19-2013 09:53 AM
    And one of the bad things is that you can't watch a movie offline? Really?? Dig a little deeper....
    In a world where most people don't have unlimitted data, that is a big deal. If I'm going for a long drive, I can rent a movie on my Android device from Google Play, download it before we leave the house, and my daughter is happy the whole way. If I had to stream the movie, I just wouldn't even rent it in the first place. I really like Windows Phone and want to come back to it from Android. However, it is details like this that keep me from making the switch. Little things add up. I'd love to get a 1020 or a 1520, but there are just too many little consessions (some MSs fault, some not) that I would have to make that add up to a big enough reason not to switch back.

Windows Phone users shouldn't write off these little short comings. They should put pressure on MS to bring their OS up to par with its competitors.
    unstoppablekem and Pontifex like this.
    11-19-2013 11:55 AM
    In a world where most people don't have unlimitted data, that is a big deal. If I'm going for a long drive, I can rent a movie on my Android device from Google Play, download it before we leave the house, and my daughter is happy the whole way. If I had to stream the movie, I just wouldn't even rent it in the first place. I really like Windows Phone and want to come back to it from Android. However, it is details like this that keep me from making the switch. Little things add up. I'd love to get a 1020 or a 1520, but there are just too many little consessions (some MSs fault, some not) that I would have to make that add up to a big enough reason not to switch back.

Windows Phone users shouldn't write off these little short comings. They should put pressure on MS to bring their OS up to par with its competitors.
    And I think when we get xbox video for WP, we should be able to download our movies we purchased already from xbox video, and already purchased videos. I really hope, though.
    11-19-2013 12:17 PM
    Eh no, that is not the current way to do it, do you own a pure view phone are you just going by outdated reviews? The last iteration of the software is Nokia camera which has integrated the smart cam with pro cam. You have three icons available on the and if you tap one, you launch the smart cam interface. It takes 1 second total.
    That's fine I guess, but what about the other stuff, like panorama? Very easy and fast on the iPhone, and for some reason, sluggish on windows phone.
    11-19-2013 12:20 PM
    My friends have had more problems with iPhones than any other phone.
    Pretty much all the people I've known with windows phones have had software and hardware defects, and had to replace their phone about 3 times just to get a good phone. I think nokia needs better quality control.
    edoug likes this.
    11-19-2013 12:21 PM
    Pork,

That is an excellent analysis. If I could recommend, you should take that analysis to the editors of the Verge (not the author of the article). That may be something they do not realize when assigning pieces to be written.
    Well not everyone is a professional photographer, so being able to take a great picture without having to change some settings, is great. The Z1 accomplished that with their supreme auto which pics the correct scene according to light and also 8mp shot of the 20 just like the 1520 will do, but it is something that nokia could do. Dont get me wrong is good to have the ability to change settings according to ur liking, but having something to help the people are not experienced is a good selling point, keep in mind that when you need to take a picture to capture a moment , you dont always have the luxury of changing the iso, or white balance, to get the picture and also not to mention the delay in taking the pictures might be an issue too in that situation.
    maverick786us and Pontifex like this.
    11-19-2013 01:03 PM
    Well not everyone is a professional photographer, so being able to take a great picture without having to change some settings, is great. The Z1 accomplished that with their supreme auto which pics the correct scene according to light and also 8mp shot of the 20 just like the 1520 will do, but it is something that nokia could do. Dont get me wrong is good to have the ability to change settings according to ur liking, but having something to help the people are not experienced is a good selling point, keep in mind that when you need to take a picture to capture a moment , you dont always have the luxury of changing the iso, or white balance, to get the picture and also not to mention the delay in taking the pictures might be an issue too in that situation.
    I agree with your point. I am not a professional photographer, and I don't know which settings I need to produce better daylight pics than iPhone 5 in my Lumia 920 which has amber update.

I think we should blame MS for this. Lumia 1520 has got a superior camera hardware compared to iPhone 5S but its the software that needs some tweak
    Last edited by maverick786us; 11-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    11-19-2013 01:15 PM
    Pretty much all the people I've known with windows phones have had software and hardware defects, and had to replace their phone about 3 times just to get a good phone. I think nokia needs better quality control.
    I have to agree here. I got my lumia 900 replaced 3 times, and my lumia 920 needed to be replaced 3 times because I kept finding hardware defects. I am hoping I wont find any flaws with my yellow lumia 1520, because I will be pissed otherwise, and was unable to have have a yellow 920 for months on in because they ran out of stock, and could not get it exchanged.
    edoug likes this.
    11-19-2013 01:27 PM
    I just used a 1520 in store and the camera is just as slow to take a pic as the 1020. It doesn't matter how good it is, if I am telling my kids to sit still until it flashes then there is a problem.
    11-19-2013 01:57 PM
    I have to agree here. I got my lumia 900 replaced 3 times, and my lumia 920 needed to be replaced 3 times because I kept finding hardware defects. I am hoping I wont find any flaws with my yellow lumia 1520, because I will be pissed otherwise, and was unable to have have a yellow 920 for months on in because they ran out of stock, and could not get it exchanged.
    Yeah, I went through 2 900's and 3 920's. :(
    11-19-2013 02:07 PM
    Engadget is entitled to be wrong from time to time.
    11-19-2013 03:46 PM
    I had to get my 920 replaced for a bad microphone. It would have been nice to have had an Apple store experience instead of having to argue with the AT&T support center for two days.

My new 920 microphone works much better, doesn't rattle like it's coming apart when it vibrates and doesn't collect dust in the front camera. I think their quality has gotten better since last year.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-19-2013 03:59 PM
    I had to get my 920 replaced for a bad microphone. It would have been nice to have had an Apple store experience instead of having to argue with the AT&T support center for two days.

My new 920 microphone works much better, doesn't rattle like it's coming apart when it vibrates and doesn't collect dust in the front camera. I think their quality has gotten better since last year.
    Yeah, but I hope their launch products have less issues and not have to wait for firmware to make the phone improve, like the camera firmware that improves the camera 6 months later.
    11-19-2013 04:01 PM
    Yes, I worry about that too. I keep thinking the shots I see look like they have too much noise reduction applied.

But that could just be me being too picky of an amature photographer. I used to apply NR in layer masks.
    11-19-2013 04:43 PM
    Yeah, I went through 2 900's and 3 920's. :(
    The gap between the glass I read in reviews is worrying me, seems like there is a lot of opportunity to mess up over there.
    11-19-2013 05:04 PM
    It really depends on how you look at it.

In terms of speed and ease of usage I would go for the 5s. Also the panorama mode in iOS 7 is far superior to anything else on the market.

But in terms of raw camera performance the 1520 has a bigger sensor, much wider optics, zoom during video, HAAC mics, OIS, and better manual controls.

In terms of IQ .. its probably too close to call in auto mode, but if you shoot the 1520 at full resolution and then downsample to 8Mpix I think it will give you a better results.

RAW support is a whole other thing.

So.. yes, technically The Verge are wrong :)
    lovenokia likes this.
    11-19-2013 05:09 PM
    I teach at a high school. Ninety percent of the students in my classes that have iPhone have had problems with them, beginning with broken screens. I'm aware that can happen to any phone, but iPhones are way above average in broken screen.
    One thing people should keep in mind is that Apple over saturates photos in the iPhone. Apparently non photographers think that looks better. For anyone who takes photography seriously, it's the last thing you want. And before anyone says that professional photographers don't use cell phones, they do when it's the only camera on them. That's why the 1020 appeals to serious photographers, because it gives them a lot of control that cell phones normally don't have.

Oh, and I'm still on my original 925. No problems whatsoever.
    EnemiesInTheEnd likes this.
    11-19-2013 08:21 PM
    I teach at a high school. Ninety percent of the students in my classes that have iPhone have had problems with them, beginning with broken screens. I'm aware that can happen to any phone, but iPhones are way above average in broken screen.
    One thing people should keep in mind is that Apple over saturates photos in the iPhone. Apparently non photographers think that looks better. For anyone who takes photography seriously, it's the last thing you want. And before anyone says that professional photographers don't use cell phones, they do when it's the only camera on them. That's why the 1020 appeals to serious photographers, because it gives them a lot of control that cell phones normally don't have.

Oh, and I'm still on my original 925. No problems whatsoever.
    I'm talking about hardware defects, not screen shattering. And I'm happy you haven't had a problem with your 925 yet. It makes me happy, that maybe the 925, 1020, and newer devices have better quality control now?
    11-19-2013 08:25 PM
    Got my lumia 920 on release day- 0 issues with. Pre ordered the 1520, and expect the same. Also- 6 kids that go to college with me have 920's and have had 0 defects.
    11-19-2013 08:28 PM
104 12345