Theverge review claiming iPhone 5s has better camera than 1520 Lol

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm talking about hardware defects, not screen shattering. And I'm happy you haven't had a problem with your 925 yet. It makes me happy, that maybe the 925, 1020, and newer devices have better quality control now?
I guess I didn't make it clear. It wasn't just screens cracked (although when seeing an overwhelming number of them like that it leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the design or the glass). They ARE having to get them replaced for hardware problems and they also have numerous software problems. Since I'm a technology teacher, they're always talking to me about their phones. I guess my point is that smartphones in general inherently have some problems. And the fact that Nokia and MS are working to improve them I see as a positive. And, yes, I think it's possible that if there were quality control problems, it's been corrected. I have been talking friends into buying 925's and 928's and so far they're all very happy with them.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is a perfect example .. there is absolutely no way you could get an image like this from the iPhone

1/20 @ 320iso - hand held

201311200729oafdX7.jpg

In fact it would be hard to get a shot like this with any phone, including the mighty 808

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Verge is good for general reading. Reviews are fairly biased towards Apple products. I have two devices on each OS and currently my daily driver is the Lumia 521. I am a slow adopter of tech and do not like signing contracts so all my devices are paid up front. I just bought a Lumia 810 and will try that out as a daily device. I am beginning to lean towards 925 or a better device on T-Mobile.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Best and better are relative. I think that having a 3-second lag between pictures may be bad for some people and may lead to them missing crucial moments. I'm thinking baby photos and things? I mean, I have my DSLR, but there are times when my 7 MP compact would be more suitable.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
And it's those times people should use the apps that allow for quicker photos (smart cam) if the delay between shots using default Nokia cam is too slow. You have to know your target and chose the app/camera appropriately.

At least that's my opinion. I have the 1020 and several other devices. I will sacrifice the pull out and shoot speed for the better quality pics any day.

Sent from my Lumia 1020

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Who cares what has the best this and that ? as long as you are happy with your device there's nothing to boast or cry about.

the truth is no phone will be the best for more than 6 months as something better would have been developed.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The Verge review was spot on. Just because you have the hardware specs doesn't mean the device will perform adequately. All of Nokia's cameras seem to have problems processing photos. The L920 was considered a disappointment after all the pre-release hype. The L1020, which I have, has the yellow tint from hell problem. What WP owners don't understand is most people want a point and shoot experience with their phones. All the other bells and whistles are great to have, but people take their pictures when they are caught in the moment and they want simplicity above all else. That's what Apple gives them; a phone that takes great photos Conveniently,without post processing problems, or delays between shots.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
"The Verge" and "Review" are two words best not seen together. I don't often tend to look at reviews on many sites as you often have to rely on that one persons opinion, their technical knowledge and any bias they have towards other products.

Sure, if you want a device on release date, try and read as many reviews online as possible then make a decision based off of that. If I'm not buying a device as soon as it gets released, I can often get a good opinion on a product by hearing what actual users of the device think to it after buying it and using it. Yes, you could say that reading stuff about Nokia's etc on WPCentral will be biased, but people will still share thoughts on what they didn't think was as good as they expected, or any problems they are having etc and post pics they have taken with the phone. I would never buy a product based on what the likes of The Verge or CNET for example think of it. At least when I've read reviews on GSMArena, they often go into the nitty gritty details and with testing the camera, they always come up with the original pictures they took to prove their opinion. That's the kind of review I trust more.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm does the iphone 5s support DNG? does it allow lossless zooming? oversampling?. Oh yeah Apple couldn't make their own camera instead they "borrowed it" from Sony and as usual their bravado is beyond sickening which I would say stems from the fact they have a "global cult like following" who are willing to risk catching pneumonia etc by camping in the streets for a rehash. Also most of these people don't realise Apple only exists predominately because MS bailed them out all those years ago.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm does the iphone 5s support DNG? does it allow lossless zooming? oversampling?. Oh yeah Apple couldn't make their own camera instead they "borrowed it" from Sony and as usual their bravado is beyond sickening which I would say stems from the fact they have a "global cult like following" who are willing to risk catching pneumonia etc by camping in the streets for a rehash. Also most of these people don't realise Apple only exists predominately because MS bailed them out all those years ago.

thats the whole point in the discussion here, 1020, 1520 only satisfy a certain niche, general public wants to take out their phones click a pic n they want the pic to look nice thats it,if somebody takes a picture with 1020 and complains about bad image quality, justifying it by saying u screwed up iso or white balance so its your fault not the phone's technically u may be right but not practically.

Let me tell you I hv never owned any iphone and love nokia pro cam for the control it gives me but from the reviews n cam samples I hv seen of iphone5s, it has got a very very good camera and it does exactly what a common non photographer person expects from a photo.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
thats the whole point in the discussion here, 1020, 1520 only satisfy a certain niche, general public wants to take out their phones click a pic n they want the pic to look nice thats it,if somebody takes a picture with 1020 and complains about bad image quality, justifying it by saying u screwed up iso or white balance so its your fault not the phone's technically u may be right but not practically.

Let me tell you I hv never owned any iphone and love nokia pro cam for the control it gives me but from the reviews n cam samples I hv seen of iphone5s, it has got a very very good camera and it does exactly what a common non photographer person expects from a photo.

Any average joe can pick up a 1020 or a 1520, point and shoot and get fantastic quality photos that look nice. You don't have to know anything about ISO, shutter speed etc to get great quality photos on them phones. Yes they will appeal more to people more familiar with photography, but you don't have to be a pro.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Any average joe can pick up a 1020 or a 1520, point and shoot and get fantastic quality photos that look nice. You don't have to know anything about ISO, shutter speed etc to get great quality photos on them phones. Yes they will appeal more to people more familiar with photography, but you don't have to be a pro.

+1 My wife just recently dropped Android in favor of a 1020. She loves it, and she never uses anything but auto settings. She got it mainly for taking baby pictures, which it is great for. She also hasn't complained once about the time in between taking shots. Guess it's still better then her old Android phone.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think many of the tech reviewers out there are still angry Linux didn't destroy Microsoft back in the 90s. So they take it out wherever they can.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, i just got mine and I am not sure i am too I am thrilled with the camera. Granted, it was a couple of quick test shots not in the best setting. But i was a bit meh...even when I had random settings, my 1020 didn't look so meh.

But i am going out with friends tonight so I will utilize my camera then....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb