Theverge review claiming iPhone 5s has better camera than 1520 Lol

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Pork,

That is an excellent analysis. If I could recommend, you should take that analysis to the editors of the Verge (not the author of the article). That may be something they do not realize when assigning pieces to be written.

Well not everyone is a professional photographer, so being able to take a great picture without having to change some settings, is great. The Z1 accomplished that with their supreme auto which pics the correct scene according to light and also 8mp shot of the 20 just like the 1520 will do, but it is something that nokia could do. Dont get me wrong is good to have the ability to change settings according to ur liking, but having something to help the people are not experienced is a good selling point, keep in mind that when you need to take a picture to capture a moment , you dont always have the luxury of changing the iso, or white balance, to get the picture and also not to mention the delay in taking the pictures might be an issue too in that situation.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well not everyone is a professional photographer, so being able to take a great picture without having to change some settings, is great. The Z1 accomplished that with their supreme auto which pics the correct scene according to light and also 8mp shot of the 20 just like the 1520 will do, but it is something that nokia could do. Dont get me wrong is good to have the ability to change settings according to ur liking, but having something to help the people are not experienced is a good selling point, keep in mind that when you need to take a picture to capture a moment , you dont always have the luxury of changing the iso, or white balance, to get the picture and also not to mention the delay in taking the pictures might be an issue too in that situation.

I agree with your point. I am not a professional photographer, and I don't know which settings I need to produce better daylight pics than iPhone 5 in my Lumia 920 which has amber update.

I think we should blame MS for this. Lumia 1520 has got a superior camera hardware compared to iPhone 5S but its the software that needs some tweak

Last edited:

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much all the people I've known with windows phones have had software and hardware defects, and had to replace their phone about 3 times just to get a good phone. I think nokia needs better quality control.

I have to agree here. I got my lumia 900 replaced 3 times, and my lumia 920 needed to be replaced 3 times because I kept finding hardware defects. I am hoping I wont find any flaws with my yellow lumia 1520, because I will be pissed otherwise, and was unable to have have a yellow 920 for months on in because they ran out of stock, and could not get it exchanged.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I just used a 1520 in store and the camera is just as slow to take a pic as the 1020. It doesn't matter how good it is, if I am telling my kids to sit still until it flashes then there is a problem.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree here. I got my lumia 900 replaced 3 times, and my lumia 920 needed to be replaced 3 times because I kept finding hardware defects. I am hoping I wont find any flaws with my yellow lumia 1520, because I will be pissed otherwise, and was unable to have have a yellow 920 for months on in because they ran out of stock, and could not get it exchanged.

Yeah, I went through 2 900's and 3 920's. :(

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much all the people I've known with windows phones have had software and hardware defects, and had to replace their phone about 3 times just to get a good phone. I think nokia needs better quality control.

I had to get my 920 replaced for a bad microphone. It would have been nice to have had an Apple store experience instead of having to argue with the AT&T support center for two days.

My new 920 microphone works much better, doesn't rattle like it's coming apart when it vibrates and doesn't collect dust in the front camera. I think their quality has gotten better since last year.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I had to get my 920 replaced for a bad microphone. It would have been nice to have had an Apple store experience instead of having to argue with the AT&T support center for two days.

My new 920 microphone works much better, doesn't rattle like it's coming apart when it vibrates and doesn't collect dust in the front camera. I think their quality has gotten better since last year.

Yeah, but I hope their launch products have less issues and not have to wait for firmware to make the phone improve, like the camera firmware that improves the camera 6 months later.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I worry about that too. I keep thinking the shots I see look like they have too much noise reduction applied.

But that could just be me being too picky of an amature photographer. I used to apply NR in layer masks.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on how you look at it.

In terms of speed and ease of usage I would go for the 5s. Also the panorama mode in iOS 7 is far superior to anything else on the market.

But in terms of raw camera performance the 1520 has a bigger sensor, much wider optics, zoom during video, HAAC mics, OIS, and better manual controls.

In terms of IQ .. its probably too close to call in auto mode, but if you shoot the 1520 at full resolution and then downsample to 8Mpix I think it will give you a better results.

RAW support is a whole other thing.

So.. yes, technically The Verge are wrong :)

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

I teach at a high school. Ninety percent of the students in my classes that have iPhone have had problems with them, beginning with broken screens. I'm aware that can happen to any phone, but iPhones are way above average in broken screen.
One thing people should keep in mind is that Apple over saturates photos in the iPhone. Apparently non photographers think that looks better. For anyone who takes photography seriously, it's the last thing you want. And before anyone says that professional photographers don't use cell phones, they do when it's the only camera on them. That's why the 1020 appeals to serious photographers, because it gives them a lot of control that cell phones normally don't have.

Oh, and I'm still on my original 925. No problems whatsoever.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I teach at a high school. Ninety percent of the students in my classes that have iPhone have had problems with them, beginning with broken screens. I'm aware that can happen to any phone, but iPhones are way above average in broken screen.
One thing people should keep in mind is that Apple over saturates photos in the iPhone. Apparently non photographers think that looks better. For anyone who takes photography seriously, it's the last thing you want. And before anyone says that professional photographers don't use cell phones, they do when it's the only camera on them. That's why the 1020 appeals to serious photographers, because it gives them a lot of control that cell phones normally don't have.

Oh, and I'm still on my original 925. No problems whatsoever.

I'm talking about hardware defects, not screen shattering. And I'm happy you haven't had a problem with your 925 yet. It makes me happy, that maybe the 925, 1020, and newer devices have better quality control now?

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Got my lumia 920 on release day- 0 issues with. Pre ordered the 1520, and expect the same. Also- 6 kids that go to college with me have 920's and have had 0 defects.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Theverge review for the Nokia Lumia 1520 was off and disappointing but expected. The 1520 has the best camera hardware second only to the 1020 and xperia z1 is in the ball park though with lousy camera software. Another thing to remember Nokia phones take a couple of updates until the camera is performing at peak performance.

Nokia Lumia 1520 review | The Verge

Here is the link to the review

It's The Verge. Almost by definition what they have to say is useless.

I know the guy they have that works the general Microsoft beat, Tom Warren. He's about as useless as you can get when it comes to reporting. To call him a hack would be an insult to hack writers.

I won't comment on him as a human being in general...because I don't really interact with him on a personal level. However having interacted with him for years on a professional level...yeah he's pretty much bleh.

The problem is that most of the writing staff there seem to have similar problems. :(

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I am fine with the Verge review. As WP gets more and more sales, they will be forced to adjust what they know and how they aproach MS products. If MS keeps going in the direction they have been, their support/ecosystem will be rival to Apple's in about a year or so, their products will have excellent options all the way up and down the range of a slew of devices that neither Apple or Google can compete with (laptops, PC's, Tablets, Smartphones), and the built in tools and available apps will be second to no one anymore.

By the way, Phone Arena has become quite a site for a pro-Android vibe in the past year and a half. They were very balanced when I first started visiting them in 2010, and I have used them as my "go to" site for general news since. I love their site set up for comparison tools and such. They just floored me with the complimentary review of the 1520:

Nokia Lumia 1520 Review

I have to agree. I've spoken out on several of the "reviews" of windows phones where the majority of the time they try to sell an android phone in the "review" instead. I'm really happy to see that they have TWO videos by two different individuals that show some actual interest in the phone.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Got my lumia 920 on release day- 0 issues with. Pre ordered the 1520, and expect the same. Also- 6 kids that go to college with me have 920's and have had 0 defects.

Woah, I know someone with the same last name and first letter of first name as you! His first name is Nick, not sure what yours is though.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The guys who started Verge (Josh, Nilay etc) were terrible with their biases while they were Engadget so it's no surprise that their new site has writers who are incredibly biased and/or lacking intelligence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster