Theverge review claiming iPhone 5s has better camera than 1520 Lol

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Theverge review for the Nokia Lumia 1520 was off and disappointing but expected. The 1520 has the best camera hardware second only to the 1020 and xperia z1 is in the ball park though with lousy camera software. Another thing to remember Nokia phones take a couple of updates until the camera is performing at peak performance.

Nokia Lumia 1520 review | The Verge

Here is the link to the review

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
nother thing to remember Nokia phones take a couple of updates until the camera is performing at peak performance.

I don't know much about cameras and I certainly have no idea how good the 5s camera is. But this sentence is just not an argument, it's not even an excuse. This is what troubles Windows Phone (users defending it) since release: "Just give it time, just give it time, it's still new!"

A product that is being sold is compared to other products that are being sold, and if the camera of the 1520 is bad now because of software, it's just the way it is.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is not bad at all the 1520 camera, it is fantastic! But it is only going to get better is what I'm saying, right now it is a notch below the 1020, and the 1020 is the best camera smartphone. The 925 is performing a little under the phon 5s, but the 1520 has a superior camera to the 925, so theverge clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If they claim the 5s has a better camera they should have posted comparison shots to back their claim.

true, they did not do that, you have a good point there, what baffles me is that the Lumia 925, was given a goof review on the camera on theverge, but the 1520 clearly has greater hardware, but gets a lower score? Lol

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I stopped taking their reviews seriously a long time ago. It's well known they are huge apple fans and are rather bias. Although they have recently (finally) started to notice the latest apple gear isn't perfect. So maybe there is still hope for them yet... :)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about cameras and I certainly have no idea how good the 5s camera is. But this sentence is just not an argument, it's not even an excuse. This is what troubles Windows Phone (users defending it) since release: "Just give it time, just give it time, it's still new!"

A product that is being sold is compared to other products that are being sold, and if the camera of the 1520 is bad now because of software, it's just the way it is.

That happens on every platform. Truth be told, every other platform has just as many problems as WP does.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised how well Engadget reviewed the 1520, though I take their review more seriously, but I am waiting for gsmarena review as I find them to make the best reviews for phones from amy website.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
the verge has been hating on everything Microsoft for a while now
..not at all surprised with their review (or with the clowns at gizmodo)

having held the device in my hand and used it for about 20 minutes or so
I can tell that half the complaints by the verge/gizmodo are utter BS

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Probably because the front facing camera isn't that good and although the back one is probably great it takes too long to open the camera app (Nokia Camera although I'm sure the stock WP one opens as fast as the Iphone stock camera) and takes too long between photos.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem with the reviews from The Verge lately of the Surface and other gear in the Microsoft ecosystem is that they don't seem to be written from the perspective of the people who actually use these devices. They just whine about why it is not an iPad or an iPhone, and omit why a Lumia might be better if you are using Microsoft services. For example, the seamless syncing between OneNote in the phone and your computer is obviously an advantage for someone using Windows 8 but it is never mentioned.

The comments about the camera is by the way a clear case of not knowing how to use the phone. The reviewer complained endlessly about some delay when taking photos when photographing a toddler. Well, this might be a good case for using smart cam, or you can use manual focus which gives you almost instant picture taking when you actually push the button. Try to do that on another phone with stock software...

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of details that were left out that they missed. It was overall a poor review, and I have to agree the perspective that they use was wrong. I want to see a camera comparison of the 1520 vs all of the other top camera phones

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Everything with the 1520 is big, and it doesn?t feel like the giant display is really being used to its fullest. Fonts have grown to enormous proportions, there?s empty space all over the place, and the interface elements and icons feel as if they were designed for someone with very poor eyesight. The Windows Phone virtual keyboard is a joy to type on (with two hands, of course), but it still takes up half of the display, which is seriously excessive on such a large screen.

I will agree some with that assessment. While I understand Microsoft's design principles on whitespace and font size It could be toned down some or at least configurable. Especially on a device this big.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was thinking about 1520 in advance. Device that big needs to have support from SW side to take advantage of the size. Like the Note has stulys, split screen etc. MS isnt moving fast enough for a device like this to come now.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I stop going to theverge long time ago. Any reviews from them that are not from Apple won't have any good scores. If theverge reviews the actual brick with Apple logo on it, it will actually get good score as well ...

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think that them not knowing the different functions of the camera, like action shot, means they didn't take time to learn the equipment.

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb