Its launch day. How did you get your L1520

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Tell us your story. How did you get your Lumia 1520? Its 8:31am I am sitting outside the local AT&T. It opens at 9am I have already told the first employee in to sigh me in as first in line. He looks like a nice guy. I told him to get me a L1520 out and be ready I am buying one right now. In my anticipation I am jumping on my Surface Pro to post this thread. With all the late shipping going around and with the Microsoft Store not getting their Pre Orders shipped I think there will be a few of us out hunting these devices today and through the weekend. Lets tell our stories and share with the community. Ask the store where you got yours if they have any available then post your finding in this thread.

I will be back to post my results just as soon as I get done in this store. I sure hope they have some available. I will take any color accept Red. I just don't way Red.

jayweh32

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I will start my story here I guess. I have been trying to pre order the lumia 1520 since it first went on pre order with the MS Store. Let me fill you guys in on the back story now. I purchased a 920 back in May for the outright price just in case I didnt like WP8, but somehow ATT messed up when they activated a new line on my plan and it took my upgrade away.... So after many hours and multiple weeks on the phone with the reps I have made hardly any progress except for getting my upgrade date changed from may of 2015 to December of 2014 which may sound bad but will help me in the end. I called my local store and the manager I spoke with there told me to come in and they will get me the phone at the upgrade price. I am thankful for this but feel as if I have been screwed out of a preorder with some goodies. So hopefully I will be getting my new phone after work today.

After reading all of the pre-order woes maybe this is a gift in disguise.... Will update later.

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went into the local att store today at 9 am to try to pick one up. They only had the black in stock so I am still on a hunt for red or yellow.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine at the local MS store. Last night I cancelled the on-line order and drove to the local MS store to pre-order so I could get the free stuff. So I went in this morning to pick it up shortly after opening. Unlike the manager that was there last night, these folks really had no idea what they were selling (big surprise, it wasn't an Xbox One). I had to pretty much walk them through it. "No, that's a Micro-SIM, not Nano." And "Yes, it's supposed to have more than just the phone with it."

Other than that, looks like I'm good to go. Just cost me a lot more time & gas than I would have liked. I'm not letting MS off the hook, the on-line store experience was obviously horrible and in-store could use a bit of work. Otherwise, the phone should keep me busy and hopefully good enough to keep!

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Northern California and going down to my local MS Store I pre-ordered with later today. I can't go when they open since I have some work meeting I have to attend first. Hopefully they have and hold my pre-order (queue the Seinfeld reference).

I notice with MS Store staff, that the folks on the floor are pretty clueless about their products in general. I've had great experiences with the techs who run the Answer Desk, which is who took my pre-order as he knew everything about the 1520.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Okay I got it. I had to get Black all they had available was black and red. I don't want red. The corporate story in Waco Texas close to where I am working today has more in stock. The rep was nice he even had both the red and black on the counter for me to pick from when they unlocked the door. I am just so glad I was able to finally get one I don't care what color it is.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I preordered a white 1520 from MS (never again). Got the "we're sorry, unexpectedly high demand" email last night. Called and cancelled. Walked into my AT&T store and purchased a black 1520.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
:angry: Does "not at all" count as a story? Long story short: I preordered with MS (big mistake as it turn out) spent a lot of time to find out what in the world happened with the preorders to be told yesterday that they will not ship as expected. Canceled the preorder and will now hold off until next year until I upgrade from my 920.

I am happy though for everyone who was lucky and got their 1520. Still think it's a great phone but I don't have the time to run around and track it down.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Checked the one other store in Central Oregon, neither of the two ATT stores received any stock of 1520's. Pretty lame for a launch day.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My dude at AT&T was pimping the red one. Thought I would not like it but damn that phone is nice! Just jumped to Verizon for the 928 and ready to bounce foe the 1520😊 Shameful

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
:angry: Does "not at all" count as a story? Long story short: I preordered with MS (big mistake as it turn out) spent a lot of time to find out what in the world happened with the preorders to be told yesterday that they will not ship as expected. Canceled the preorder and will now hold off until next year until I upgrade from my 920.

I am happy though for everyone who was lucky and got their 1520. Still think it's a great phone but I don't have the time to run around and track it down.

And here the story changes and takes a nice turn with a twist.... Since the L1520 was supposed to be my birthday present to myself and my wife saw the deep disappointment about the whole thing, she just sent me a text telling me that she picked up a red Lumia 1520 and a Belkin folio case for me at a store (not sure what the case is, but she said I would like it and I trust her on that). So as soon as I get out of work ( and now of course it drags and drags and drags and... well you get the point), I will be able to start my new life with a L1520 :) Needless to say: I have the best wife there is and now I also have the coolest phone there is...

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Northern California and going down to my local MS Store I pre-ordered with later today. I can't go when they open since I have some work meeting I have to attend first. Hopefully they have and hold my pre-order (queue the Seinfeld reference).

I notice with MS Store staff, that the folks on the floor are pretty clueless about their products in general. I've had great experiences with the techs who run the Answer Desk, which is who took my pre-order as he knew everything about the 1520.

Just got mine from the MIcrosoft Store. At least the person helping me knew what it was. He nor the manger knew off the top of their head about the pre-order deal (free cover and $50 MS credit), but the manager quickly looked it up and gave it to me. The manager then had to show the employee how to ring up the phone. It wasn't the greatest "day one" experience, but definitely far from the worst. They employees were nice and the guy helping me kept apologizing for having to check on things. Overall, I was in and out in less than half an hour.

I had to settle for the black. I wanted yellow, but they only had red or black and I didn't want the glossy back finish. They said they were supposed to be getting white and yellow, but have no idea when. I'll see how black goes and maybe exchange for yellow when they get it.

ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1385163952.505249.jpg
ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1385163962.935401.jpg

Khalid Brown1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I preordered mine on 11/8. As of 11/20 they did not send and was told that the yellow was back ordered. I canceled my order and decided to wait until today to look for phones. However after going to an att store I was told they will not match the online deal. So I decided to give the ms store a try. They said they would match online price and they would give me the pre-order deal. So ended up trading in my iPhone and getting red with a black case and a 520 and $50 voucher. And only paid $16!!!!
will never pre order anything again though.
now if I can just sell my nexus to get money for new 2520 :/

Gunpwdr

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Pre-ordered yellow one at MS store online 11/06. Cancelled on 11/20 when MS rep said it would ship on 11/22.
Ordered yellow one from AT&T on 11/20. Cancelled same day when AT&T indicated that it was in fact back-ordered.
Decided I really wanted the white after all and pre-ordered at MS retail store on 11/21. After calling all day today, MS store rep indicated that white units had arrived. Picked it up a few hours ago and I couldn't be happier with my phone.

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered my White 1520 Windows phone weeks before the launch at the Microsoft Store. I decided to cancel it last week because of the 99 dollar deal from At&t (since i understood that they will not price match) but had to do this in person and i don't live close to my nearest MS Store. When i got my deposit back, one of the Associates said that they can price match at&t so i gave him my 25 dollars back and re-deposited my money. He also told me i would be able to come at midnight to the XBOX ONE launch and pick up my phone. l showed up yesterday a little bit earlier that midnight only to be told that i couldn't pick up my phone because they couldn't activate new lines at midnight!!! I should have know better so i asked him what time they opened at and he told me 9am. So i drove all the way home, woke up early and picked up my gf from a 12hr shift from the hospital @ 8am and took her with me to the store and got there at 8:50am. THE STORE DIDNT EVEN OPEN TILL 10!!! So she slept on my lap on a mall bench in front of the store for an hour till they opened. When i finally got in the store, they didnt even have any colors but the BLACK 1520 in yet...Remember I had already preordered it. So for the next two hours we went back and forth and told the manager everything i had gone through up to this point and HE DIDNT WANT TO EVEN PRICE MATCH EITHER! Finally i persuaded him to price match because of his uneducated staff putting me through hell. Bottom line i left with a FREE $99 PROTECTION PLAN, FREE $50 APP CARD, FREE FLIP COVER, HALF OFF BLACK PURITY EARBUDS ($40), KEPT THE BLACK 1520, FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR...all for $140!!! LEFT HAPPY AND FELT I WON.

WP_20131122_22_10_39_Pro[1].jpg

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting to order my 1520 today so that I could get it with the 2520 and take advantage of AT&T's bundle deal. I kept checking online for information about the bundle offer, but there was none (I just checked and there still isn't any mention of the of bundle offer), so I finally just called AT&T to place my order over the phone. Fortunately, the rep I spoke to was aware of the offer and was able to place the order for me. So, I was able to order a glossy red Lumia 1520 for $99.99 and a Lumia 2520 for $199.99, and added them to my Mobile Share plan. It's a great deal! And I'm planning on taking advantage of the Nokia offer for the free power keyboard as soon as my 2520 arrives. Still no word on shipping yet, but I don't mind waiting. Just happy to get that bundle deal.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I preordered mine on 11/8. As of 11/20 they did not send and was told that the yellow was back ordered. I canceled my order and decided to wait until today to look for phones. However after going to an att store I was told they will not match the online deal. So I decided to give the ms store a try. They said they would match online price and they would give me the pre-order deal. So ended up trading in my iPhone and getting red with a black case and a 520 and $50 voucher. And only paid $16!!!!
will never pre order anything again though.
now if I can just sell my nexus to get money for new 2520 :/

I sold my iPad 2 and my nexus 7 2013 is on eBay! I will get a 2520!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077