screen dimming...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine did it...discovered it was preset to "Automatically adjust" in "Settings/Brightness" -- switching it off enables 3 levels: low; Medium; and high -- I chose medium -- now screen doesn't dim anymore...

Nice phone!

Thank you. However, as has been stated a few times before, this is not the issue. The issue is a slight dimming of the screen even when the auto adjust is turned off.

Mikey5211

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
See attached. Does this still 'smell funny'?

Pics are of programming code and random snowy screen.

Attachments

• WP_20130812_21_02_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20130812_21_02_09_Pro.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 7
  • wp_ss_20131212_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20131212_0001.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 5
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope doesn't look funny. That's not programming though as you were saying. That's pointing to a folder and not identifying it by the setting name. I'm guessing you're not a regular Windows user since you don't recognize a standard folder structure. It's pointing to C drive which is denoted by C:\. It's then pointing to the folder named 'data'. Hence C:\data\. From there it's pointing to the Programs folder. So C:\Data\Programs\.

From there it points to a specific app folder, and the registry is supposed to have a 'common name' for that setting that would show up on screen. For some reason that data appears to be missing.

It looks like a failed Tier 3 app installation, and driver corruption which should be fixed by either a hard reset or flashing the ROM.

Mikey5211

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. Programming code was not the correct terminology to use. I have done a hard reset and a factory reset and that didn't solve either issue. I have used a HTC Titan 2 for the past two years and I never updated it past 7.5 Mango. It still works flawlessly today. I wanted to try something that would load more current apps. I loved that phone.

The new certified phone they sent me doesn't have this issue but still has a jumpy screen and occasionally a snowy one. I hope the next one doesn't.

One last question. Is it best to load as few third party apps on any phone? In the past, my phones tend to run flawlessly if I leave them with stock apps or extremely limited additions.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. Programming code was not the correct terminology to use. I have done a hard reset and a factory reset and that didn't solve either issue. I have used a HTC Titan 2 for the past two years and I never updated it past 7.5 Mango. It still works flawlessly today. I wanted to try something that would load more current apps. I loved that phone.

The new certified phone they sent me doesn't have this issue but still has a jumpy screen and occasionally a snowy one. I hope the next one doesn't.

One last question. Is it best to load as few third party apps on any phone? In the past, my phones tend to run flawlessly if I leave them with stock apps or extremely limited additions.

That's really weird that you're getting a snowy screen. I still consider that to be totally unacceptable to be honest. I would tell them the new one still displays a snowy screen at times (which is seems like you have). If I'm not mistaken that screen issue is due to a loose or damaged flex cable that connects the display to the SoC.

Adding the apps that you want shouldn't be an issue. I usually leave a little free space (around 10%), but it's not really necessary to do so. Every Windows Phone that I've owned has worked fine with me adding a ton of apps and games.

Last edited:

Mikey5211

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is a video post of what my brand new Nokia Lumia 1520 screen did as well as the certified new replacement as well.

Note: This is not my video; just one posted on youtube..

Nokia Lumia 1520 flickering screen - YouTube

If you google the Nokia 1520, there seems to be host of items surfacing about this phone. Mostly screen related. Maybe this is a small amount of the population, but more and more surface each day.

Could this issue surface after AT&T put there bloatware on it?

:unhappy:

Mikey5211

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to trade this phone in for the third time. 3 Strikes and then I'm going to dump it. I can't live 2 years with a jumpy screen. I'd rather pay the ETF and go back to my HTC Titan or back to Android.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Same issue... start the phone screen very bright, then you open an app and the screen dims. I also get the tap and scroll issue along with the phantom typing problem.. I have checked all settings and everything's off no auto, no battery saver, no sunlight adjustments. This was my first widows phone and I believe it may be my last. As soon as my nano sim card adaptor comes in Ill go back to my sony z ultra and send this back to nokia and see what happens. Sad... I really like the phone even with its limited apps and customizations.

Update.. hey guys try turning the tap to wake feature off... I turned mine off and I haven't had the problem in the last hour or so. I turn everything on ( auto brightness, battery saver, etc ) then turned them all off including the tap to wake feature... seems to have helped the issue. at least I think it did.

Last edited:

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had the jumpy screen thing a few times, but since lowering the sensitivity to "medium" from "high" and disabling the auto dim feature (auto-brightness) and setting the screen to medium brightness, it seems to have gone away. Famous last worlds!!!!

I wonder if there isn't some kind of interaction inside the hardware/firmware where it is just way too sensitive over dirt/finger grease and interacting with the screen?

The lockup after a few attempts at clearing it and power off/on again, really does look like a driver crash....

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
As a follow up, I just received my international 32gb version. I've had it for a few hours and, so far, it does not suffer from the screen dimming issue. It does have the problem with opening apps when I want to swipe.

edit: nevermind, its dimming now.

Last edited:

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys running into this screen dimming problem with a clean install? Make sure to test it that way to rule out any third party apps causing the problem. I don't have the problem on mine and I tested it almost all day today at medium and full brightness. It dims when I stop interacting with the phone but as soon as I touch it, it goes back to full brightness.

Selahattin Kotay1

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys running into this screen dimming problem with a clean install? Make sure to test it that way to rule out any third party apps causing the problem. I don't have the problem on mine and I tested it almost all day today at medium and full brightness. It dims when I stop interacting with the phone but as soon as I touch it, it goes back to full brightness.

Yes, i make a hard reset than reinstalled WP8 and did not install anything. Anyway came with the same problem up . Updated all OEM programs and tried. Guess what? issue still keeping up to drive me crazy.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It's strange that this is happening to a handful of people. Could very well be a hardware defect with your handsets or I'm just not able to reproduce the same problem. I've made a small video (excuse the background noise, had a humidifier on) with full brightness and it only dims when the phone is no longer being used. As soon as I tap it, it's at full bright again. If the screen looks dim it's because of how the iPhone camera filtered the excess brightness:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786