Lock screen timeout issue

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed this odd issue with my lock screen timeout settings. There does not appear to be a "never" option in the timeout settings. However, it shows as the current setting on the settings screen and acts as if it is never.

I'm wondering if the "never" option migrated from my 920's settings?

I'm afraid to change it as I may lose the option. If I view the setting 1 minute shows up as the default setting.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There is/was an option. There was a big thing about it being missing from the AT&T firmware on the Lumia 920. It was on other carriers. Then it showed up on AT&T in GDR1.

Those of us that want it use it when docked to power. Also, just having the screen on isn't as big off a battery drain as you may think. I had the screen on with no power for over an hour yesterday and only lost a few percent.

Anyway, my phone is acting as it has "never" set so I'm not going to mess with that setting.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they do the initial release without the Never timeout option to verify battery performance?

Can anyone confirm if their 1520 operates with the never option by default but doesn't contain it as an option in settings or if they don't get any ability for never?

I think my setting came over from my 920 restore and that the 1520 knows how to interpret the setting. I think the option in the drop down list was just removed.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell, it was only on the 920. My 820 did not have the "never" option and my 1020 does not have it either.

Weird, I wonder what's going on with those firmware configurations? I'm never touching that option. I'm sure if that OnChange event gets triggered on the settings screen I'll lose the setting.

It wouldn't be so bad if app developers put the option in their apps but many leave it out. Rhapsody is one of those. People keep requesting they add it to the app, they say they'll consider it and then never do. It makes using it in a car or docking station next to impossible.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you sync with an email account that has a security requirement that you enter your PIN after several minutes of inactivity? If so, the screen can't remain on for longer than the PIN timeout limit or it would make the security requirement ineffective.

As a test of this and some other things, I recently had our Exchange ActiveSync "enter the PIN" policy changed to 10 minutes. I chose 10 minutes because that value doesn't normally appear in the drop-down lists for "screen timeout" or "enter the PIN." After the policy was changed, both of the popups showed times of 30 seconds along with 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes -- the choices of 15 minutes and up were removed and the choice of 10 minutes was added.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you sync with an email account that has a security requirement that you enter your PIN after several minutes of inactivity? If so, the screen can't remain on for longer than the PIN timeout limit or it would make the security requirement ineffective.

As a test of this and some other things, I recently had our Exchange ActiveSync "enter the PIN" policy changed to 10 minutes. I chose 10 minutes because that value doesn't normally appear in the drop-down lists for "screen timeout" or "enter the PIN." After the policy was changed, both of the popups showed times of 30 seconds along with 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes -- the choices of 15 minutes and up were removed and the choice of 10 minutes was added.

I do but we have no such policy in place for the Exchange server. It's only required verbally that a pin is used. I'd prefer lock on close with screen timeout never.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
After rebooting the phone the never setting went away and was replaced by 5 minutes.

I can't believe I went this long without rebooting. Unfortunately, rebooting didn't fix the app problem I was having and now I've lost the never setting. :(

It's a pain, trying to use Nokia Music in my car doc now.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell, it was only on the 920. My 820 did not have the "never" option and my 1020 does not have it either.

That's because the 820 and 1020 use amoled displays. Amoled displays are notorious for burn-in if the display is on a static image for too long. The 920 had a LCD display and doesn't suffer from burn-in. Hopefully, since the 1520 also uses a LCD display, they'll bring back the option.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll file a complaint with Nokia. Most likely will be ignored. :) But it could be at&t tweaks too. Will have to find out what the international versions have.

The battery life with the screen on full time is really fantastic. Hopefully the option will return.

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they do the initial release without the Never timeout option to verify battery performance?

Can anyone confirm if their 1520 operates with the never option by default but doesn't contain it as an option in settings or if they don't get any ability for never?

I think my setting came over from my 920 restore and that the 1520 knows how to interpret the setting. I think the option in the drop down list was just removed.

No mine has 5 minutes maximum. Which is annoying when I'm streaming in my car because I have no interest in punching in passwords while doing 75 down the freeway.

I thought we had dispensed with this with the 920? How exactly does Nokia/AT&T/Microsoft go backwards on something that clearly was hugely annoying with the earlier phones (circa 920) until they corrected it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss