Post here if you are not buying the Nokia Lumia 1520 because it is locked to att.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Got my Lumia 1520 today and love it. AT&T just makes it that much better.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say AT&T made it better, but the phone is great if you are OK with the 16GB memory. It is enough for me, but I realize that it might be an issue for some. Still think it was a bad move from them...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not trying to be rude or funny but in America, you already know more than likely high end windows phones are going to At&t first....so why are people surprised to hear that the phone is locked to At&t in the US?

That makes zero sense to me. This is nothing unusual as this has happened for the 900, 920, 1020 and now the 1520 so why act like it is something brand new?

Also, I wish people would realize that you when you are paying full price from the phone that doesn't necessarily entitle you to it being unlocked. You are buying the phone without SUbsidy from At&t but it is still the At&t model...Out of contract does not equate to unlocked.

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
No wonder Windows Phone sales suck tits in the US when Nokia makes those crappy exclusive deals with AT&T who behaves as if WP had syphilis. They strip some of the best qualities of their new flagship and expect huge sales? Wtf? I'm surprised they didn't opt in for a no-camera version "in order to reduce costs".

Why do WP sales grow in Europe? Well, among the other reasons, because there are no exclusive ****ty deals locked to just one carrier here.

Nokia and Microsoft - get a grip!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No wonder Windows Phone sales suck tits in the US when Nokia makes those crappy exclusive deals with AT&T who behaves as if WP had syphilis. They strip some of the best qualities of their new flagship and expect huge sales? Wtf? I'm surprised they didn't opt in for a no-camera version "in order to reduce costs".

Why do WP sales grow in Europe? Well, among the other reasons, because there are no exclusive ****ty deals locked to just one carrier here.

Nokia and Microsoft - get a grip!

you can't exactly fault att too much. Without their push, we wouldn't be where we are...we would have T-Mobile half attempts and lets not forget that Verizon did not get any major windows phones for like a year plus

And sprint just got two windows phones this year that were more or less lame versions of already not that interesting phones releases last year.

I tend to give att a free pass simply because they're the only carrier I see who does seem to do a somewhat decent job at getting a wide range of devices....

Europe is a different story simply because the market is entirely different from the us.

21stNow

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not trying to be rude or funny but in America, you already know more than likely high end windows phones are going to At&t first....so why are people surprised to hear that the phone is locked to At&t in the US?

That makes zero sense to me. This is nothing unusual as this has happened for the 900, 920, 1020 and now the 1520 so why act like it is something brand new?

Also, I wish people would realize that you when you are paying full price from the phone that doesn't necessarily entitle you to it being unlocked. You are buying the phone without SUbsidy from At&t but it is still the At&t model...Out of contract does not equate to unlocked.

It doesn't, but it should. It's sad that we need laws in this country to stop carriers from locking phones to their networks. Carriers should be service providers only, with no control over the devices. It should be similar to other paid subscription services. Cable providers don't lock your televisions to their services. Internet service providers don't lock your computers to their services, even when ISPs subsidized computer purchases several years ago. Cellular phones should not be different. I'm glad that the government is stepping in to stop this anti-consumer behavior.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep, not buying because it's locked to AT&T and no Qi charging, mostly. I have Qi chargers all over now so this is a big disappointment to me.

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
AT&T customer here. Switched to them to get the 920. Love the phone...indifferent to AT&T on the whole. I'll be waiting to snag an RM-938 with Qi and 32GB of storage. And then I'm going to prepaid. I'm tired of overpaying for my mobile usage.

stickyfinger123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Why should we have to go to the grey market even if we payed full price for the hardware.....this is the attitude that feeds the big four and takes away the keys to our own wallet. Do you ever wonder who unlocks your phone for an extra 100$. Don't be a sheep!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Why should we have to go to the grey market even if we payed full price for the hardware.....this is the attitude that feeds the big four and takes away the keys to our own wallet. Do you ever wonder who unlocks your phone for an extra 100$. Don't be a sheep!

I hope somebody proves that theory sometime soon.

stickyfinger123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's completely beyond me to understand this passing of the buck...I bought a Nokia 1020 locked to ATT and have been trying desperately to get it unlocked through ATT to no avail. My reasoning for this being a total crock of **** is that I lived in France for a bit and got full unlimited service for 20Euros a month.....wake up people subsidy or not something smells really bad here! What really gets my goat is that Nokia has in the past made Pentaband radios it's just all this backroom shenanigans that cripples every phone out there in one way or another. This just adds an incredible amount of waste to the planet period

stickyfinger123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't get your thinking as the carrier does not make the phones they are just busy crippling them for the masses so that other unsavory businesses can pretend to do us a favor by selling us something that was already baked in.

Just pay one of the unlock sites and unlock it.

I don't get why it's such a big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss