64GB MicroSDXC on Lumia 1520

alissa_914

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
You can hook it up to your computer and move it off also.

The phone checks the folder and reads the files after a few minutes.

Also 64GB Micro SDXC works formatted in both FAT32 and EXFAT. I just converted my SD Card to EXFAT because I wanted to put a 4.5GB video on there (1080p Bluray rip w/ H264). Works perfectly.... no issues.

This is a damn good phone.

alissa_914

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I may be wrong about this, but I believe the reason why 90% of microSD capable devices released in the past couple of years state 64gb Max capacity is only because nobody makes a microSD card larger than 64gb. I've read that they've been trying to make a 128gb microSD but it's not yet feasible for mass production. Should a 128gb microSD hit the market someday I don't see why a modern OS wouldn't be able to take advantage of the extra space.

The other reason is the lack of EXFAT support. You can find FAT32 formatters that go beyond 32GB. I have an old Android tablet that said max card size was 32GB. This was true until I formatted it to FAT32..... then I had 64GB on the card..... until I got my Lumia 1520 and put the card in there.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
As a heads up to anyone else - I just got mine in the mail and am setting it up now. Even though the window pops up on the phone to change media storage to the card, you still need to go into Windows Media Player on your pc and "end sync relationship" with your phone and then "set up sync" with the sd card. Otherwise, it will just sync to your phone again...as I just found out....derp...

kimck99

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, apps can only be installed to the device. As for memory card, it has to be a microSD. You wouldn't be able to physically fit the linked SD card into the L1520.
I apology in advance to the poster who asked if the SD card will work in 1520. That being said, @JaiMento, I laughed at your kind reply to TRAVELBRO.

TravelBro, not sure if you were kidding or if the question was a serious question. If the latter, again my apology. It was bad on my part to assume that followers of this forum would understand that pretty much all smartphones (which have the option) use microsd cards and not standard SD cards.

Cheers!

Cheers!

kimck99

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
As a heads up to anyone else - I just got mine in the mail and am setting it up now. Even though the window pops up on the phone to change media storage to the card, you still need to go into Windows Media Player on your pc and "end sync relationship" with your phone and then "set up sync" with the sd card. Otherwise, it will just sync to your phone again...as I just found out....derp...
Thanks for the tip. Now I just need my Yellow 1520 processed and shipped from AT&T! The delay is killing me....

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, my case is here, just ordered the recommended microSD card..... if I only had a phone.....*runs to refresh AT&T order status screen--AGAIN*

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Another tip - if you do the 320 bit rate hack from the post stuck in the Windows Phone 8 thread, make sure before you sync stuff to the card that you go into the card's properties in windows media player and move the dial to 320 again.

I had to delete and resync all over again, and since it was my second time already, I then ran into some issues where only some stuff synced and other songs were missing despite wmp saying they were already on the phone.

luckily, I went back and deleted everything off the card again, restarted phone and PC, and synced again and now everything seems to be working fine.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

psi01

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
i just go my nokia l1520 and i love it, well i have a 64g micro sd and for some reason i can only put 3 or 4 movies on it and if i add more none of them will play...anyone know why?

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
i just go my nokia l1520 and i love it, well i have a 64g micro sd and for some reason i can only put 3 or 4 movies on it and if i add more none of them will play...anyone know why?

Are the movies all encoded the same? That's definitely odd. I have 19 movies on mine and they all play fine.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I am getting this one Amazon.com: Transcend 64GB MicroSDXC Class10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter 45 MB/s (TS64GUSDU1E): Computers & Accessories

Its transcend 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class-10... its very similarly priced as Sandisk... and claims to be 45MB/s compared to 30MB/s of Sandisk
I'm considering this transcend 64GB too, but that "up to 45MB/s" seams to be a creative marketing tricks. If I'm not mistaking it's rated as 25MB/s write speed. If you click on the product pictures, on the left side of your Amazon link, there is a picture of a test result with CrystalDiskMark II, and it's showing 22MB/s as actual write speed.

The 22MB/s write speed may still saturate the buss speed of Nokia 1025, but I would like to hear some feedbacks before pulling the trigger on this card.

Anybody have a few days experience of shutter-free HD-video recording with this card?

Last edited:

PT1520

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I replaced my Sandisk Ultra 64Gb with this Transcend 64GB microsd. The real difference is write speed really 10Mb on Sandisk Ultra and 19 Mb on Transcend. My Sandisk was having an issue of recording videos onto my phone (lots of stutter for no good reason). By swapping this card out, I was able to record videos flawlessly on the Transcend card.

I'm considering this transcend 64GB too, but that "up to 45MB/s" seams to be a creative marketing tricks. If I'm not mistaking it's rated as 25MB/s write speed. If you click on the product pictures, on the left side of your Amazon link, there is a picture of a test result with CrystalDiskMark II, and it's showing 22MB/s as actual write speed.

The 22MB/s write speed may still saturate the buss speed of Nokia 1025, but I would like to hear some feedbacks before pulling the trigger on this card.

Anybody have a few days experience of shutter-free HD-video recording with this card?

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Samsung - Pro 64GB microSDHC Memory Card | Model: MB-MGCGBA/AM | SKU: 2214084 | $59.99

Just throwing this out there as an alternative for some who are still in the market for a MicroSD card. Best Buy has it for $59.99 right now. Boasts 70/20 for read/write speeds.
This is the card I just bought. Can't really evaluate it for Lumia 1520 but I have not had any issues with it in my Windows tablet when playing 4Gb video files. Overall it seems like the Review for this card is better than for the Sandisk ultra, and the Write speed should not matter much in practice as there should be no way for us to really need a higher speed for the camera. It is after all not possible top burst shoot high res pics with a phone... The read speed is probably more significant for us when used as a storage expansion and you then get really good numbers with this card. You otherwise have to pay much more for the Extreme plus to reach the same read speeds.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This is the card I just bought. Can't really evaluate it for Lumia 1520 but I have not had any issues with it in my Windows tablet when playing 4Gb video files. Overall it seems like the Review for this card is better than for the Sandisk ultra, and the Write speed should not matter much in practice as there should be no way for us to really need a higher speed for the camera. It is after all not possible top burst shoot high res pics with a phone... The read speed is probably more significant for us when used as a storage expansion and you then get really good numbers with this card. You otherwise have to pay much more for the Extreme plus to reach the same read speeds.

Well, maybe not for taking pictures, but faster write speeds should help out when recording 1080p/30fps, which is where people are saying the SanDisk Ultra's are causing stuttering. I've noticed it myself with my SanDisk Ultra and while this card seems to work better (I haven't had an opportunity to record for longer than 90 seconds), I've still had some stutter during fast movement (sat in my office chair, hit record, and spun around at a moderate speed).

PT1520

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I concur about taking pictures on the Ultra card. For pictures, it is fast enough and I never had any issues with it. With 1080p any frame recording is where I come across with all types of stuttering issues. I thought the card was bad so I got a replacement from Sandisk. The replacement card behaved EXACTLY the same as my original card and that is when I conclude that the card is the root cause of the issue. The funny thing is my class 4 card stutters the same way as my class 10 sandisk when it comes to recording 1080p.

Since the swapped the card to Trenscend I haven't had an issue any more. I think it has to be something with the write speed on the card itself since the read speed is over 30Mb/s.

Well, maybe not for taking pictures, but faster write speeds should help out when recording 1080p/30fps, which is where people are saying the SanDisk Ultra's are causing stuttering. I've noticed it myself with my SanDisk Ultra and while this card seems to work better (I haven't had an opportunity to record for longer than 90 seconds), I've still had some stutter during fast movement (sat in my office chair, hit record, and spun around at a moderate speed).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720