64GB MicroSDXC on Lumia 1520

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, maybe not for taking pictures, but faster write speeds should help out when recording 1080p/30fps, which is where people are saying the SanDisk Ultra's are causing stuttering. I've noticed it myself with my SanDisk Ultra and while this card seems to work better (I haven't had an opportunity to record for longer than 90 seconds), I've still had some stutter during fast movement (sat in my office chair, hit record, and spun around at a moderate speed).
In that case, it is because the Sandisk card sucks and have other issues and not because it is too slow for video while it works for pictures. Shooting video has a lower write speed requirement than taking still pictures, particularly if you shoot high res photos and use the RAW support in the camera. 10 Mbytes per second should cover any requirements you might have for video even if shooting 1080p. I just recorded a short clip on my Samsung card and it looked fine to me, including when I was turning around much faster than would be reasonable in a real video. Some further reading:

Does your camera need a fast SD card? | Features | PC Pro

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
In that case, it is because the Sandisk card sucks and have other issues and not because it is too slow for video while it works for pictures. Shooting video has a lower write speed requirement than taking still pictures, particularly if you shoot high res photos and use the RAW support in the camera. 10 Mbytes per second should cover any requirements you might have for video even if shooting 1080p. I just recorded a short clip on my Samsung card and it looked fine to me, including when I was turning around much faster than would be reasonable in a real video. Some further reading:

The Samsung card has a 20MB write speed, though, not 10MB, like the Sandisk Ultra. Have you tried recording 1080p video with a Sandisk Ultra on a L1520?

Edit: And it's not just me reporting this. Others have had the same issue with the Sandisk Ultra, so it wasn't just my particular card.

Last edited:

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have that card and have had numerous issues. I'll list them. Currently using a Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 6 and it runs much better.

Issues with 64GB:
Deletes song tags
Duplicates songs
Stutters videos
Deletes maps

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have that card and have had numerous issues. I'll list them. Currently using a Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 6 and it runs much better.

Issues with 64GB:
Deletes song tags
Duplicates songs
Stutters videos
Deletes maps

What is that card ? - do you mean that Sandisck Ultra (class 10) is worse than Sandisk class 6 card ?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Issues with 64GB:
Deletes song tags
Duplicates songs
Stutters videos
Deletes maps

so your saying your 32gb class 6 takes stutterless 1080p video? I call shenanigans :p

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

my San Disk extreme plus works flawlessly

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
so your saying your 32gb class 6 takes stutterless 1080p video? I call shenanigans :p

Yeah I posted these issues in the thread for 1520 bugs sticky. Someone recommended buying a class 6 card because it reads better with the lumias so I did and so far no problems. I actually have tested the 64gb on 2 differen 1520s as well and both got the same errors.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I posted these issues in the thread for 1520 bugs sticky. Someone recommended buying a class 6 card because it reads better with the lumias so I did and so far no problems. I actually have tested the 64gb on 2 differen 1520s as well and both got the same errors.

Honestly, this does not make any sense in my mind :) ... you might just have a bad 64 Gb microSD card ... in a case of memory, faster is always better, but it does not give you any advantage to use class 10 card if class 6 is enough ...

I have Sandisk Ultra class 10 card (u-1). It works, but I think that Sandisk extreme Plus would be better (read: 80 Mb. and write: 50 Mb) .... and a main reason for that is writing (saving) photos and videos. The both are fast enough to read ....

Last edited:

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, this does not make any sense in my mind :) ... you might just have a bad 64 Gb microSD card ... in a case of memory, faster is always better, but it does not give you any advantage to use class 10 card if class 6 is enough ...

I have Sandisk Ultra class 10 card (u-1). It works, but I think that Sandisk extreme Plus would be better (read: 80 Mb. and write: 50 Mb) .... and a main reason for that is writing (saving) photos and videos. The both are fast enough to read ....

Do you get stuttering with your SanDisk Ultra when recording 1080p/30fps video also?

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I do ... and also saving of pics is slow ...

It's unfortunate, really. At first glance, the SanDisk Ultra would appear to be fast enough. However, it seems everyone is experiencing speed issues with it. Maybe it's a problem with the combination of the SanDisk Ultra and a L1520. Too bad I don't have another device that can accept MicroSD cards that can record 1080p/30fps to test video recording performance with.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't make sense to me but I'm using the same 1520 with and error on the SDXC 64gb with a 32GB class 6 and I have no issues so I don't know either :p

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make sense to me but I'm using the same 1520 with and error on the SDXC 64gb with a 32GB class 6 and I have no issues so I don't know either :p

It might do something with a size of microSD (FAT32 limit is 32 Gb and max. file size 4 Gb) .... well, 64 Gb has not that limit (maybe exFAT) ... well, lazy to find it out ....

Anyway, here is some info - FAT32 vs exFAT: exFAT vs. FAT32 Comparison

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

You are wrong. And the article you linked to is utter garbage. One of the biggest constraints for digital video is the write speeds of SD cards. That article's analysis totally ignores video bitrate and assumes heavy use of GOP (group of pictures). You also have no idea how large the 1520's buffer is. Most people don't take a bunch of pictures rapid fire with smartphones. So even though the full resolution pictures along with DNG files is a lot of data if you have a decent size buffer you can write to even slow SD cards in the background and the camera is ready for the next shot. The problem with video is you are literally taking a picture 30 times a second every second. So the pictures may be small but there are a ton of them.

For those interested in a card that will definitely work...

Best Buy has the SanDisk Extreme 64 GB card for $79.99. This is the 80MB/s 50 MB/s card. This card is future proof and if Microsoft starts allowing apps to be stored on the SD card this will ensure they launch as fast as possible.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

It's sold out at Best Buy. Adoroma has the Sandisk 80/50 card for $79.99 with free super saver shipping. The Best Buy link in my original post pointed to a card with 80MB/s read speed. Sandisk has been screwy about the naming of their Extreme and Extreme Plus cards. The only way to really know is to look at the specs and the model number. Or find the product via the Sandisk website.

lapirk

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
hi guys. first post here. recently acquired a 1520 and loving it to bits.
now i use a sandisk 64gb microsdxc and just yesterday i updated the phone os to a latest version. 8.0.10521.155.
once the update was done and the phone restarted is showed the msg "there is a problem with the sd card, please fix it on pc".
so once its in the pc i see that all the music video files which i have on there is fine but the camera roll folder is inaccessible. removed it and inserted it again and i scanned and fixed it and now the folder is accessible but tons of photos and videos shot with the phone are all gone. can anyone tell me how i couldve avoided this and prevent such things in the future? i have no clue about sd card formatting so anyone could point me in the right direction would really appreciate it. thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb