Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here we will start a list of the confirmed factory defects and bugs. Please post your bugs and defects in this thread. Once we establish a pattern we can start a list.

• Bad main speaker
  • Screen turns on and off at random
  • Buttons are flush with the body of the device
  • Small speaker for calls has low volume
  • Screen responds to scrolling finger slide incorrectly and opens an app like a screen tap
  • Search button launching Bing search without being touched (Hard reset fixed this for some)
  • Random crashes on some apps, an app will just close at random

It seams that some issues can be resolved or maybe even avoided by hard resetting the device. At this point I would recommend we all do a hard reset before initial setup. I used to do this with all my devices. Turn it on for the first time, skip all the setup then do a hard reset. It might not be a bad idea to do this on your device when you first get them. Your mileage may very, reset at your own risk.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Some things I have experienced. I have had some distortion in the main speaker when playing music. it only happened once so far.

Twice I was typing a long message in the official Skype app and the keyboard tap sounds started to fade to a much lower volume. Restarting the app fixed it both times.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I found 3 hardware defects with my 920 last year in three different models, very frustrating. I will probably find some in my yet-to-be shipped yellow 1520.

regi7

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I had the same volume/ sound distortion happen to me. But I brought my phone back to AT&T and they exchanged it for me. So far my new one works perfectly in terms of sound. I did have an issue that I didn't have the app list grid, but that popped up without me doing anything.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I had the same volume/ sound distortion happen to me. But I brought my phone back to AT&T and they exchanged it for me. So far my new one works perfectly in terms of sound. I did have an issue that I didn't have the app list grid, but that popped up without me doing anything.

The app list grid doesn't show up till after you load a certain number of apps I think its like you have to have 50 apps in the list or something like that.

I found 3 hardware defects with my 920 last year in three different models, very frustrating. I will probably find some in my yet-to-be shipped yellow 1520.

Sorry but you will have to have the phone to have a problem with it. Its kind of a requirement.

Last edited:

Mediademics

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

The earpiece volume is very low for me, even when turned up all the way. Happened on two calls. Curious if this is happening for others or if just my at&t connection.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I saw a slight lag when scrolling, but is seems more an app problem since it is not consistent. Oddly enough it shows up primarily on the wpc app. Also saw a couple of times that when I wanted to scroll the home screen, I opened the app of the live tile i started scrolling at. Beside that, i have not seen any issues.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

The earpiece volume is very low for me, even when turned up all the way. Happened on two calls. Curious if this is happening for others or if just my at&t connection.

Tomorrow will be my first day at work with the device so I will be doing some testing. I will add this to my list of things to test.

I have also noticed that from time to time the screen will light up. It will go from the Glance screen to the lock screen without me touching the device.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

On my 1520 i got on Launch day I could not hear anyone through the phone...I had to use it on Speaker or headset if i was trying to call someone or they called me or else i couldn't hear them nor could they hear me.

I exchanged it and it is working much better now with my new 1520

RobbyRob

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

WiFi can be very slow at times until you restart the phone. Sometimes scrolling will click on something that was not intended to be clicked. I think the biggest issue for me is the WiFi.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

paintcan

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm about to go exchange for my 3rd 1520.

First one: audio did not work, like, at all, 99% of the time. The cellular radio in it was also busted, it refused to hold a signal, and sometimes fail to recognize the sim card (tried 3 sims).
Second one: audio pops before and after every sound, and it has the issue where the hardware buttons (even with sensitivity on normal) freak out and begin pushing themselves, bringing up the Bing search screen and eventually freezing all input.
Third one: coming soon...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm about to go exchange for my 3rd 1520.

First one: audio did not work, like, at all, 99% of the time. The cellular radio in it was also busted, it refused to hold a signal, and sometimes fail to recognize the sim card (tried 3 sims).
Second one: audio pops before and after every sound, and it has the issue where the hardware buttons (even with sensitivity on normal) freak out and begin pushing themselves, bringing up the Bing search screen and eventually freezing all input.
Third one: coming soon...
Oh dear :'( hopefully third time is the charm.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The first main issues I'm having, as noted in separate posts, is still the erratic touch response. It either ignore swipes or treats them as a tap, which will randomly open unwanted apps or makes various selections.

The second is the inability to disable haptic feedback for the soft touch keys.

After a few support calls, Nokia doesn't seem interested in fixing either of them, as of yet.

Otherwise the phone itself seems to be working just fine. Great call and audio quality with the ear piece and external speaker. Haven't had any lockups, no video issues, etc. I mean, the screen is awesome. Although tapatalk has randomly closed a few times. LTE on AT&T (via StraightTalk) has been middle to strong signal and zero wi-fi issues at home.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

The first main issues I'm having, as noted in separate posts, is still the erratic touch response. It either ignore swipes or treats them as a tap, which will randomly open unwanted apps or makes various selections.

The second is the inability to disable haptic feedback for the soft touch keys.

After a few support calls, Nokia doesn't seem interested in fixing either of them, as of yet.

Otherwise the phone itself seems to be working just fine. Great call and audio quality with the ear piece and external speaker. Haven't had any lockups, no video issues, etc. I mean, the screen is awesome. Although tapatalk has randomly closed a few times. LTE on AT&T (via StraightTalk) has been middle to strong signal and zero wi-fi issues at home.

Tapatalk has a problem with their app, not the 1520 here. I have exoerieneced the problem with tapatalk multiple times

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Someone started a thread about Bing search spontaneously launching. He had it happen so often that he did a factory reset, which seemed to fix it. I've had it happen much less frequently.

paintcan

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Someone started a thread about Bing search spontaneously launching. He had it happen so often that he did a factory reset, which seemed to fix it. I've had it happen much less frequently.

I did multiple hard resets on mine with different combinations (not restoring data, restoring data, etc), and it still happened. It happened -less- when sensitivity was normal instead of high, but it still happened. In fact, before I drove down and exchanged for my 3rd one I said what the heck, I'll reboot it, see if it is any better. A fresh reboot resulted in the home screen that wouldn't accept any touch input at all unless i turned the screen on/off.

Third one seems alright so far.

reuben9000

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Fingers crossed for you! I feel so annoyed, having to vicariously enjoy the feel of the 1520 through all of you, while I impatiently wait for it to arrive in India. Doesn't help one bit that this is right in the middle of my college exams. Lol

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

This may not be considered a bug but it is a rather nasty bug to me. The screen timeout settings is missing "never" as an option.

Vallkyria99

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

I have been having issues with touch sensitivity as well. Sometimes swipes are not registered. Also having lag with the backlight. Occasionally the backlight will not come on until a few seconds after unlocking the phone. I have auto brightness turned off. Another issue I am having is with the glance screen, occasionally it'll just stop working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss