Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

ctwinger

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

My black Lumia 1520 has been better than expected. I thought the LCD or camera would be a let down from the 1020, but not all all. I had switched to the Note 3, then went back to the 1020. I have not seen a single defect with this phone. Its my favorite of all time and I have owned everything.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

1. After initial setup, the phone played no sound whatsoever. Launching Xbox Music caused a harsh crackle from the speaker. Fixed with a hard reset.
2. Touch screen issues as others have previously stated. Changed sensitivity and did a hard reset. Still an issue, but I am learning to adapt.
3. Screen brightness dims ever so slightly at random times...maybe a 10% decrease at most.

Other than those three things, I'm pretty happy with the phone.

meowmeow70

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Anyone experiencing issue with SMART mode with nokia camera. Whenever i switch to smart mode, it crashes and bump me to main window.

wsrobert

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The first main issues I'm having, as noted in separate posts, is still the erratic touch response. It either ignore swipes or treats them as a tap, which will randomly open unwanted apps or makes various selections

Having the same issue. And its incredibly annoying. Between mistakenly opening apps, accidentally liking a photo on IG or sometimes just not responding immediately to touch is, maddening.

lunarmouse

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

The first main issues I'm having, as noted in separate posts, is still the erratic touch response. It either ignore swipes or treats them as a tap, which will randomly open unwanted apps or makes various selections.
The second is the inability to disable haptic feedback for the soft touch keys.
I found the erratic tap response really annoying to me, for about half the time the phone does not know if I am tapping or just scrolling on the screen. I am surprised Nokia cannot handle such basic operation well. I am somehow disappointed, as this is my first WP device (or maybe I am just spoiled by Apple).
Haptic feedback is another issue and hope they can fix it soon or later.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I had an issue with the lock screen pin a few times. It kept adding in extra mystery digits while typing and the would fail validation. It's hard to explain without seeing it happen.

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Ah! So after someone mentioned that there are two separate volumes for phone calls and general system sounds i figured out the problem I was having.

VOICE MAIL is the same volume as your system volume. This explains why every time i would go to listen to voicemails on the phone that i could not hear them at all. I would then crank up the volume to the max(30) then after i got done listening to the voice mail i would usually forget to drop the volume back down to whatever it was at. Then later on i get blasted with a loud ringtone/notification that i don't really want that loud in the first place.

So...Join the voice mail and in call volume to the same scale.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Ah! So after someone mentioned that there are two separate volumes for phone calls and general system sounds i figured out the problem I was having.

VOICE MAIL is the same volume as your system volume. This explains why every time i would go to listen to voicemails on the phone that i could not hear them at all. I would then crank up the volume to the max(30) then after i got done listening to the voice mail i would usually forget to drop the volume back down to whatever it was at. Then later on i get blasted with a loud ringtone/notification that i don't really want that loud in the first place.

So...Join the voice mail and in call volume to the same scale.

Just to check, are you listening to voicemail via the Visual Voicemail functionality where it shows up in the phone hub? If so it's supposed to use the system volume since it's not actually making a phone call. If you actually call your voicemail it should obey the call volume rule. :)

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Just to check, are you listening to voicemail via the Visual Voicemail functionality where it shows up in the phone hub? If so it's supposed to use the system volume since it's not actually making a phone call. If you actually call your voicemail it should obey the call volume rule. :)

Yes visual voice mail, that still makes no sense though. Why wouldn't i want my visual voice mail level to be the same as the call volume?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Yes visual voice mail, that still makes no sense though. Why wouldn't i want my visual voice mail level to be the same as the call volume?

I'm not saying it necessarily makes sense. I was saying it's basically treated like a regular audio file because there's not actually a call taking place.

What triggers the call volume is that an actual phone call is initiated. That's what cues the system to switch from the system volume to the call volume. Since the Visual Voicemail feature doesn't call it doesn't know to switch.

I agree with you that it's an oversight that they should find a way to fix.

vpkb

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

I saw a slight lag when scrolling, but is seems more an app problem since it is not consistent. Oddly enough it shows up primarily on the wpc app. Also saw a couple of times that when I wanted to scroll the home screen, I opened the app of the live tile i started scrolling at. Beside that, i have not seen any issues.
Yes, the phone takes my scrolling/swipe as a click.

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

I have also seen the random dimming thing... Not a lot, just once or twice on day one, but its not happened since (day three for me now).

cmore675

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Had some random weird stuff happen. Missing tiles all of a sudden, orientation not working. Wireless not connecting..

vpkb

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

I should add that phone reboots in Here drive, and once rebooted randomly while sitting on the desk.

cesar ruiz1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if its my Lumia 1520 but it takes approximately 6 hours and 30 min. For full charge when my 920 in an hour its fully charged. Ain't it supposed to have Qualcomm quick charge feature.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

I found the erratic tap response really annoying to me, for about half the time the phone does not know if I am tapping or just scrolling on the screen. I am surprised Nokia cannot handle such basic operation well. I am somehow disappointed, as this is my first WP device (or maybe I am just spoiled by Apple).
Haptic feedback is another issue and hope they can fix it soon or later.

Haptic feedback is a design choice not a bug or defect. Samsung devices have this but Nokia has decided not to give us the choice. This might be because of copyright issues with Samsung.

I don't know if its my Lumia 1520 but it takes approximately 6 hours and 30 min. For full charge when my 920 in an hour its fully charged. Ain't it supposed to have Qualcomm quick charge feature.

I have noticed that my car chargers barley charge the phone fast enough. When using navigation while charging my device doesn't pick up any charge it barley adds to the battery at all. I plugged in at 90% and drove for over an hour yesterday with the device plugged in and when I took it off the charger it was at 91%. When I plug in to my outlet at home with my OEM charger that came in the box I went from 30% to 50% in 15 minutes. I was playing Asphalt 8 while I was charging. I think for me the charger I am using makes a huge difference.

MrVol84

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I need some insight..

Ok so I want to clarify that I'm not the only person with a 1520 experiencing these issues..

1: Are your side buttons (volume, power, camera) dug into the body of the phone to the point that you can barely touch them? They are pretty much even with the side of the device.

2: From 15% battery life; how long does it take your device to charge up completely? My phone took around 4.5 hours. Is this common?

3: The bottom control buttons don't seem to be lit well. Anyone else having this problem?

4: Should streaming music via Pandora drain your battery 13% in an hour?

And last but not least..

Can someone explain this 5+16MP thing? Because these pics don't seem to be too good. Maybe I'm looking at the 5MP version?

Guys, I know this is a pain in the @$$, so thanks for your time and help. I just want to make sure this is not normal before I exchange the device.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: I need some insight..

The buttons are designed that way purposely. It's a large phone that they made thin and they want it to be easy to place and remove from clothing. I'm not sure how long it takes to charge from 15% Mine has not gone that low in a day and I charge over night. The capacitive buttons do have crappy lighting. The music streaming battery usage has other factors. Wifi or LTE, what else is running in the background and are those apps using one of the radios. The photography aspect I think takes some experimentation when using the Nokia camera app as opposed to the stock one. I found it easier out of the box to take great pics with my 920.

MrVol84

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: I need some insight..

Ahh I see! I was streaming with WiFi.

4.5 hours to charge a phone seems like a bit much. I guess I'll have to test it out again for the next few days and see how that pans out. Thanks for your help bro, and have a happy thanksgiving!

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I have noticed that my car chargers barley charge the phone fast enough. When using navigation while charging my device doesn't pick up any charge it barley adds to the battery at all. I plugged in at 90% and drove for over an hour yesterday with the device plugged in and when I took it off the charger it was at 91%. When I plug in to my outlet at home with my OEM charger that came in the box I went from 30% to 50% in 15 minutes. I was playing Asphalt 8 while I was charging. I think for me the charger I am using makes a huge difference.

You have to get a 2 amp car charger. I bought an AT&T 2 amp car charger and it can keep up with anything I have running including navigation, streaming bluetooth and lockscreen disabled. The only problem I'm having is with Waze! That navi app is such a battery hog it's not even funny!

AT&T Car Charger with USB Port 2 Amp- Universal Micro USB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire