Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Bugs i have noticed...

The screen seems to switch to like 8bit color for a few seconds at time. It is always the home screen and not the lock screen. It returns to normal within a couple seconds.

Are you sure this is not the Sunlight Readability turning on? If you are in bright light or direct sunlight and you have Sunlight Readability turned on is settings it will look like I think what you are describing. You can turn this off in Settings/Display

Xabanak

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

After three days, I have had my first serious issue. I was plugging in my headphones and I noticed the LCD distort (like under pressure) when I inserted the jack. After a little experimentation, it appears putting even slight pressure downward on the plugged in headphone jack causes something internal to the phone to press against the LCD, causing it to distort. After I noticed that, now when I touch the screen with moderate pressure (A normal amount of pressure for my usage), it distorts in the same area. I had not noticed that before, so I'm not sure if the headphone jack caused it to start, or if I just hadn't seen it previously. This is extremely disappointing since I already got my unlock code from AT&T AND I purchased it from a Microsoft store over two hours away. Le sigh.

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure this is not the Sunlight Readability turning on? If you are in bright light or direct sunlight and you have Sunlight Readability turned on is settings it will look like I think what you are describing. You can turn this off in Settings/Display

lol no its not that. Its a maximum 8bit color that it changes to, more like 4bit if that exist. Everything changes to pixelated fluorescent type colors because of the low color profile.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

lol no its not that. Its a maximum 8bit color that it changes to, more like 4bit if that exist. Everything changes to pixelated fluorescent type colors because of the low color profile.

I've seen it too. It's sort of like when an analog VGA monitor connection takes a moment or two to sort itself out.

I figured it may be related to the glance screen background.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Hi. I could be wrong but it seems 90% of the issues on here are state side AT&T, I just got my UK one and I have been working my way through issues listed and not found one.
This one also came with earphones/buds.
One problem (we all have it) is the noise in low light videos, but this is known now and I hope Nokia optimise the software as low light videos suck.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I have that same issue when you want to scroll screen but it registers it tap. Quite annoying and i'm now testing if certain setting causes it like "double tap to wake" feature. Screen also accosianily gets stuck and wont scroll until you lift finger and touch again. Hopefully this is just software issue and gets solved later.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Hi. I could be wrong but it seems 90% of the issues on here are state side AT&T, I just got my UK one and I have been working my way through issues listed and not found one.
This one also came with earphones/buds.

I wish it were so - I just bought an unlocked Swiss one and I'm having the following issues:

- random reboots (I've only had it for 3 hours and it's rebooted 3 times on me already)
- popping sound every time it plays a sound through the main speaker
- swipes aren't registered and a click is executed instead

the unit is pretty much useless to me - unfortunately, in Switzerland you can't just get devices exchanged. I'll have to send it in and get it repaired. That can take up to six weeks according to Nokia.

Update: Mine also has:

- intermittent connection problems (e.g. 5 bars of WiFi but no internet traffic coming through)
- absolutely lousy 3G reception resulting in constant switching behaviour from 3G to EDGE and vice versa. The phone doesn't seem to be able to hold on the a 3G signal - when it's on my desk, it switches to 3G, and a couple of seconds later it switches back to EDGE. This kept repeating over the last hour or so, until it eventually rebooted and it started happening again immediately. I don't have a very strong signal were I live but my Lumia 1020, my wife's iPhone 5S and my Nexus 5 all get stable connections here.

The thing's a dud from A to Z. I ended up ordering another one and will sell that one once I get it back from Nokia (which will be end of January according to their hotline as they're closing for 2 weeks over Christmas).

Last edited:

Hesti85

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: I need some insight..

Ok so I want to clarify that I'm not the only person with a 1520 experiencing these issues..

3: The bottom control buttons don't seem to be lit well. Anyone else having this problem?

I have the same "Issue" but I don?t know if this is a failure or intended to be so. I made a photo in comparison to my "old" Lumia 920.

20131207_150711383_iOS.jpg

Hesti85

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

The brightness is not much the main problem. Which annoys me more is the fact that mine are irregular lit.

Baffelumia

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Bought mine 4.12 from Finland. First wp device. I also have the tap when trying to swipe bug. Can't get the screen to work with gloves either. Works with nails though.. Anyone got it working with gloves? Have the sensitivity on high ofc.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Wow all these issues are beginning to worry me about my new 1520. Sounds like Nokia has some serious qc problems.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Jmac28040

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

I noticed the capacitive buttons are not as bright on the 1520 also, but I assumed it was the design of the buttons. the 920 buttons are bright and visible (silver) even with back light off, while the 1520's are black, not visible with backlight off

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Wow all these issues are beginning to worry me about my new 1520. Sounds like Nokia has some serious qc problems.

Sent from my GT-I9100

What? Forty or so people have problems out of how many tens of (even hundreds of?) thousand devices shipped so far? That sounds like a not too bad average for month #1 of ANY complex consumer product.

I note one or two are the SAME problem with unlocked devices... Here in the USA, anything unlocked this early in the life of a device like this means it is probable a faulty unit, returned as such and resold on the black market or such - or so I am told by several people who worked for a couple of phone vendors. I don't know if this is true for other parts of the world or even true for the USA, just what I am told, so don't blame me if it's B.S.

I fully expect a few of these early models will have issues and THAT is why I got mine from a vendor that has a decent return policy... buyer beware if you don't.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

Question. Are your SIM and SD card trays tight when closed or do the "doors" wiggle just a little?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

What? Forty or so people have problems out of how many tens of (even hundreds of?) thousand devices shipped so far? That sounds like a not too bad average for month #1 of ANY complex consumer product.

I note one or two are the SAME problem with unlocked devices... Here in the USA, anything unlocked this early in the life of a device like this means it is probable a faulty unit, returned as such and resold on the black market or such - or so I am told by several people who worked for a couple of phone vendors. I don't know if this is true for other parts of the world or even true for the USA, just what I am told, so don't blame me if it's B.S.

I fully expect a few of these early models will have issues and THAT is why I got mine from a vendor that has a decent return policy... buyer beware if you don't.

in Switzerland, all devices sold are unlocked

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion