Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Thanks Hasasimo. Would you recommend the phone based on your experience so far, even with this issue?

I would so far, but it's only been 2 days. Everyone's tolerance with the issue will vary, but I think I need a solid week or 2 first before giving you a more definitive answer.

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Hasasimo. Would you recommend the phone based on your experience so far, even with this issue?

In case you put it under heavy usage it will overheat on regular base , and yeah you have to live with the swipe sh*t problem. There is nothing in the app world such hardware configuration can't handle , and it's really nice piece of hardware (in and outside) ....and it's long waiting come back even in a little bit over-sized shape .... so if you really want to have it you can live with the defects ....

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

In case you put it under heavy usage it will overheat on regular base , and yeah you have to live with the swipe sh*t problem. There is nothing in the app world such hardware configuration can't handle , and it's really nice piece of hardware (in and outside) ....and it's long waiting come back even in a little bit over-sized shape .... so if you really want to have it you can live with the defects ....

8 posts and all complaining about the 1520, surely you're not biased are you.

You might want to get some of your facts straight.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Interesting (well I thought so) update to this. I was using the Ebay app this morning and had numerous phantom taps while navigating within the app, however when using the rest of the OS it behaved properly, as it has done since I uninstalled Glance and Touch.

Perhaps there is more to the touch issue than I thought?!?
Was just stopping by to ask how this is going. Sucks to hear that this wasn't a complete solution after all. Glad it's at least improved for you though.

Interestingly, I read in the comments section of a Sony Xperia Z2 article that after the Android KitKat update the LG G2 is having a similar tap/swipe screen sensitivity issue.

I hate to say it because I do otherwise like the phone, but this issue has me considering other options.

Any update with this? How are the phantom touches going? I'm disappointed that this wasn't a permanent solution after all.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Any update with this? How are the phantom touches going? I'm disappointed that this wasn't a permanent solution after all.

My phone is still behaving as per my last post, Glance and Touch not installed. Navigating around the OS itself I'm not experiencing any phantom taps. When navigating within an app however I occasionally get phantom taps.

I'm of the opinion that the particular combination of hardware in the 1520 is activating a bug in the OS. This would explain why Nokia have so far not been able to fix the problem. As far as my experience recently goes it would also explain why I'm not getting phantom taps in the OS but I am getting them in apps. The apps would use API calls to handle touch input, whereas the OS would use the native services directly.

At the moment I'm fairly satisfied with how the phone is working. I think the hardware is fabulous, the best phone I've ever used, however I think Nokia's silence towards their customers, both actual and potential, in regard to this long running issue is ill advised and bordering on downright stupid.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

That is my theory as well. Touch isn't always perfect on the 2520 either (though no phantom taps). I wonder if the hardware half of this problem has anything to do with the Snapdragon 800 processor.

I love everything about this device (though I think a 5.5 inch display would have been ideal), but this issue is quite frustrating when it happens. I'm under the impression that there won't be a fix. The folks at Nokia would have figured it out by now. It's shameful that they haven't been forward with us about it though.

stur_2000

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if the hardware half of this problem has anything to do with the Snapdragon 800 processor.
I have been wondering that myself since my friend's Note 3 also has rare occasional swipe/tap issues. I wonder even more now when you say that 2520 and LG G2 have problems as well.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I have been wondering that myself since my friend's Note 3 also has rare occasional swipe/tap issues. I wonder even more now when you say that 2520 and LG G2 have problems as well.

That would really suck because we can't just get our processors replaced :(. I'm torn, I really love this phone but I can't help but wonder if my next scroll or swipe will be registered as a tap every time I use it. I had no idea the Note 3 has this issue on occasion too. I may look into a phone with a Snapdragon 801.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have spent the weekend with an Xperia Z2 with the touch/swipe problem as well. It wasn't bad or anything but worse than my 1520 is now after the update.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I have spent the weekend with an Xperia Z2 with the touch/swipe problem as well. It wasn't bad or anything but worse than my 1520 is now after the update.

Really? That's quite surprising. Haven't heard of that issue from Z2 users yet, though not very many people own one yet. Can you elaborate? Did you experience it sifting through the OS or within certain apps?

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Dies anyone's 1520 heat up in the back by the camera? I have not been able to use it for a whole day without charging it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Dies anyone's 1520 heat up in the back by the camera? I have not been able to use it for a whole day without charging it.

It really sounds like a hardware issue with your 1520, judging by how long you've had this issue (read your other posts). I'd really think about getting it exchanged before it's too late. I get 2 days of battery life out of mine with several apps running in the background.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Really? That's quite surprising. Haven't heard of that issue from Z2 users yet, though not very many people own one yet. Can you elaborate? Did you experience it sifting through the OS or within certain apps?

Mainly when in websites like here and vw vortex. I also had it while looking on Zedge for wallpapers to use on my 1520, turns out Zedge has an app for windows so there was no need. I got a few while just moving around the screens. There was also the usual non touches that everyone gets with android but I didn't notice them when I was on android until I moved to windows, sure noticed them now though.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Mainly when in websites like here and vw vortex. I also had it while looking on Zedge for wallpapers to use on my 1520, turns out Zedge has an app for windows so there was no need. I got a few while just moving around the screens. There was also the usual non touches that everyone gets with android but I didn't notice them when I was on android until I moved to windows, sure noticed them now though.

Interesting. The Xperia Z2 was the only Android device who's hardware could compete in beauty with the Lumia line in my opinion. I considered owning one, but I'll read reviews more carefully first. Gonna wait either way, as prices for the thing are astronomical right now.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone have too loud or noisy vibration on their 1520 when the back, Windows and search buttons press?

Last edited:

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Interesting theory about the S800. I wasn't aware of touch issues with the G2 and Note 3.

Quick update from me. I installed Glance and Touch again yesterday as a test. Definitely much worse with both apps installed for me.

There's a good post from new_1520_user here:

Lumia 1520 Screen Sensitivity - Page 21 - Nokia Support Discussions

I've tested his description of how to replicate the swipe/tap issue and I've managed to get mine to replicate the problem with about 50% reliability, even with Glance and Touch installed, so he may be on to something.

After this test it's obvious to me now that this problem is also dependant on exactly how any given person actually interacts with their phone, at least partly accounting for the wildly differing views of how badly different units are effected. It's a tricky bug. I'm still very annoyed at the lack of communication and interaction with their customers from Nokia concerning this though. Particularly given how widespread it is.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Small update from me: It was gone (I mean really gone) for several hours, then it came back. MAYBE there is an improvement but this may as well be up to my fiction.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. The Xperia Z2 was the only Android device who's hardware could compete in beauty with the Lumia line in my opinion. I considered owning one, but I'll read reviews more carefully first. Gonna wait either way, as prices for the thing are astronomical right now.

I have had the Xperia Z and Z1 and I thought the Z was nice but wasn't very nice to hold but the Z1 was gorgeous to hold and to look at. If I was(I'm not) to go back to android it would be a Z2 that I would get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb