Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Today i noticed that my camera button feels very loose, not broken but still loose. The other 2 buttons are much more solid with a good click but not the camera button. Its more moshy. I read on a few other sites where others have the same issue like:
Nokia Lumia 1520 Written Review | PhoneDog

Is this very common or just bad luck with the phone? not sure if i should get a replacement or what??? what do u think ?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Today i noticed that my camera button feels very loose, not broken but still loose. The other 2 buttons are much more solid with a good click but not the camera button. Its more moshy. I read on a few other sites where others have the same issue like:
Nokia Lumia 1520 Written Review | PhoneDog

Is this very common or just bad luck with the phone? not sure if i should get a replacement or what??? what do u think ?

Are you sure that you are not mistaking it for the focus click. First click is for the focus and the second one is to take the photo.

Also the one in the review has white buttons which were only on the pre release phones that went to the press.

Just seen your other post mentioning it and have seen that you now know it isn't a problem.

diego9016

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Well, now I'm worried. I'm importing the Lumia 1520 from Amazon USA (RM-937), and I live in Colombia, so warranty is a no-go for me. Should I cancel my order or should I take the risk and go for it?

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Are you sure that you are not mistaking it for the focus click. First click is for the focus and the second one is to take the photo.

Also the one in the review has white buttons which were only on the pre release phones that went to the press.

Just seen your other post mentioning it and have seen that you now know it isn't a problem.

hehe yes, i think i posted the reply in the wrong thread (was in a hurry when i send it) , thanks allot for the tips mate, feels good to know the phone is not "broken". I love the phone and this was bugging me (sort of perfectionist hehe).
Now the only bug is the screen scroll/click problem. That seems to be related to drivers (hopefully only software) and other issues on this phone seems.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Update from me:

Still have Touch and Glance uninstalled. Mostly the phone is swipe/tap free. However occasionally I will use and app and I'll get multiple phantom taps.

I'm of the opinion that certain apps are using specific API calls that are activating the bug. In my case closing the apps and letting the phone sleep for a while seems to reset the phone and it returns to normal.

It's a theory anyway, just hope MS manage to fix it...... at some point.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I traded in my Lumia 1020 for a Note 3 last week and already miss my Glance Screen and good camera. I've been looking for a 1520 but all these reports of tap/swipe issues on it is something that would irritate the life out of me so now I'm not sure if I want to jump back just yet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

New Extras & Info update out. This is the app that was originally supposed to fix the swipe/tap bug. Anyone tried it yet?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks or the info. Definitely not holding my breath, but I've just updated. I think if it fixed the bug it would be touted quite highly by now, but we'll see if there's a difference.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I was going to install it myself, but when I went to check the app on my phone it wasn't there. I'm assuming that as I still have Glance and Touch uninstalled one of them is a prerequisite for Extras & Info so that was uninstalled as well.

Let us know how you get on.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I was going to install it myself, but when I went to check the app on my phone it wasn't there. I'm assuming that as I still have Glance and Touch uninstalled one of them is a prerequisite for Extras & Info so that was uninstalled as well.

Let us know how you get on.

I figured that's why you didn't install it. In fact the app page says to make sure to go to Settings > Phone Update and check for updates before installing or updating the Extras & Info app, so I'm guessing all three apps work in concert as well.

​Probably not going to do any especially extensive testing, but I'll let you know if I notice any difference during regular use.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Well that didn't take long... swipe/tap bug definitely still there after the Extras & Info update. *sigh*

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

I would so far, but it's only been 2 days. Everyone's tolerance with the issue will vary, but I think I need a solid week or 2 first before giving you a more definitive answer.

Now you've had a bit longer with the phone, would you still recommend it overall?

Fiter Kurniawan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I think cause of screen tap issue is about wakeup time after screen off, This is have 2 problem :
1. when screen off and then you turn on the screen by power button, lock screen with password or not is first gate to access your homescreen. After unlock, screen hang for very second (like 500 miliscond) and then system unstable for a moment and when you scroll the screen, sometimes its registered as tap.

2. Screen tap issue just happened when your finger is no longer touch it. maybe Nokia should be update for lifecycle of stanby screen on mode for longer ( more than 5 second maybe). It depend of refresh rate screen on phone.

That's what I know when I learned about my phone, but now I was adapted with that :smile:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Now you've had a bit longer with the phone, would you still recommend it overall?

Well as psycorp alluded to before, it depends somewhat on how you use the phone. I mostly experience the issue scrolling through the People Hub. But in your regular day-to-day navigation, making a call, checking a text, quick check of an app.. you'll barely experience it. The People Hub is mostly how I surf Twitter, so I'm in it for several minutes at a time. Should explain why that's where I mostly experience the bug.

Overall, yes I recommend the device. It's the best Windows Phone offering. The battery life reminds me of the dumb phones of yesterday year (Nokias for example) that go 2-3 days without a charge. Everything is snappy, and I do mean everything. It's a good feeling knowing you can do whatever you want and not have to think/worry about whether or not you'll have access to charging the phone and whether you'll need to conserve battery. Of course, it's also sleek and beautiful.

To put it differently, the only other phones I'd consider are the 930 and the Xperia Z 2. This should tell you that I think highly enough of the phone to only ever consider 2 others despite the swipe/tap bug. 930 has no glance and is slightly too small (would rather around 5.5" for the display). The Z2 is beautiful, but I'll miss wireless charging and Windows Phone.

If you're planning to take advantage of what it has to offer, and not just use it as you would much less capable smartphones, then its worth it despite the swipe/tap bug. I stream quite a bit of video while I'm out and about on this thing. Also, my touchscreen type accuracy has gotten a lot better given the size of the keyboard.

In short, with quite a few people clamoring for a 1520.3, it would be easy for me to sell and probably even make money off of the device. So far I apparently like it enough not to do that.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well as psycorp alluded to before, it depends somewhat on how you use the phone. I mostly experience the issue scrolling through the People Hub. But in your regular day-to-day navigation, making a call, checking a text, quick check of an app.. you'll barely experience it. The People Hub is mostly how I surf Twitter, so I'm in it for several minutes at a time. Should explain why that's where I mostly experience the bug.

Overall, yes I recommend the device. It's the best Windows Phone offering. The battery life reminds me of the dumb phones of yesterday year (Nokias for example) that go 2-3 days without a charge. Everything is snappy, and I do mean everything. It's a good feeling knowing you can do whatever you want and not have to think/worry about whether or not you'll have access to charging the phone and whether you'll need to conserve battery. Of course, it's also sleek and beautiful.

To put it differently, the only other phones I'd consider are the 930 and the Xperia Z 2. This should tell you that I think highly enough of the phone to only ever consider 2 others despite the swipe/tap bug. 930 has no glance and is slightly too small (would rather around 5.5" for the display). The Z2 is beautiful, but I'll miss wireless charging and Windows Phone.

If you're planning to take advantage of what it has to offer, and not just use it as you would much less capable smartphones, then its worth it despite the swipe/tap bug. I stream quite a bit of video while I'm out and about on this thing. Also, my touchscreen type accuracy has gotten a lot better given the size of the keyboard.

In short, with quite a few people clamoring for a 1520.3, it would be easy for me to sell and probably even make money off of the device. So far I apparently like it enough not to do that.

Could not have put it any better.

By the way if you think it is snappy now wait till you go to 8.1

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Another small update from me with regard to swipe/tap bug. Glance and Touch still uninstalled.

I've confirmed over the last week or so that in general use moving around the OS and using apps like IE, UC Browser, Pocket File Manager, WP Central, Met Office, email and messaging clients, that my phone is phantom tap free. I can also confirm that if I open specific apps the bug immediately raises its head. I've tested the Sky Sports News app numerous times and the behaviour is consistent as soon as the app is opened. If I then close the app in task manager and allow the phone to sleep it returns to being swipe/tap free. This and the ebay app are the only ones I've seen this behaviour with so far.

I find this very interesting as it seems to indicate that those apps are either causing specific libraries to be loaded that aren't usually in use, or are making specific API calls that are causing the bug. Although I'm not a programmer by trade I work in IT and have some casual programming experience, so this would be my best guess.

If I'm correct then I would expect this issue to be fixed in a future OS/Firmware update, hopefully Cyan sometime next month. Hopefully this will allay the fears that some have had over getting the 1520, because of this problem, and show that it is possible to minimize its occurrence in day to day use.

EDIT: I should also add that on my phone uninstalling the Glance and Touch apps also appears to have uninstalled the Extras & Info app too. If you try this approach I'd recommend also uninstalling Extras & Info if it doesn't disappear on its own.

Cheers

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Another small update from me with regard to swipe/tap bug. Glance and Touch still uninstalled.

I've confirmed over the last week or so that in general use moving around the OS and using apps like IE, UC Browser, Pocket File Manager, WP Central, Met Office, email and messaging clients, that my phone is phantom tap free. I can also confirm that if I open specific apps the bug immediately raises its head. I've tested the Sky Sports News app numerous times and the behaviour is consistent as soon as the app is opened. If I then close the app in task manager and allow the phone to sleep it returns to being swipe/tap free. This and the ebay app are the only ones I've seen this behaviour with so far.

I find this very interesting as it seems to indicate that those apps are either causing specific libraries to be loaded that aren't usually in use, or are making specific API calls that are causing the bug. Although I'm not a programmer by trade I work in IT and have some casual programming experience, so this would be my best guess.

If I'm correct then I would expect this issue to be fixed in a future OS/Firmware update, hopefully Cyan sometime next month. Hopefully this will allay the fears that some have had over getting the 1520, because of this problem, and show that it is possible to minimize its occurrence in day to day use.

EDIT: I should also add that on my phone uninstalling the Glance and Touch apps also appears to have uninstalled the Extras & Info app too. If you try this approach I'd recommend also uninstalling Extras & Info if it doesn't disappear on its own.

Cheers

It is odd that you get it in eBay as I never do so which eBay app do you have? I don't have sky sports but I will shortly and I will test it.

Do you have My 500px app installed? If you don't can you and test it as that is the main one that I get the problem with. I sometimes get it when on here as well.

I have my phone set to medium brightness and glance set to peek.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

It is odd that you get it in eBay as I never do so which eBay app do you have? I don't have sky sports but I will shortly and I will test it.

Do you have My 500px app installed? If you don't can you and test it as that is the main one that I get the problem with. I sometimes get it when on here as well.

I have my phone set to medium brightness and glance set to peek.

I've just downloaded 500px and browsed through it, no phantom taps. I'll upload a few of my photos to it when I get home and give it a more thorough test.

The ebay app was the first I noticed the phantom tap behaviour in. I installed Sky Sports News app a few days later and immediately noticed it in that too. The Sky Sports News app is actually much worse then the ebay app. Within seconds of opening it I'll get a phantom tap. Ebay app is official version 1.5.0.12.

The interesting thing about the Extras & Info app being missing from my phone is that I think I'm right in thinking that an update to this app was originally supposed to have fixed the swipe/tap bug. I'm now wondering if the absence of Extras on my phone is the reason why the uninstall approach has been largely successful in my case but reportedly not in others.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've just downloaded 500px and browsed through it, no phantom taps. I'll upload a few of my photos to it when I get home and give it a more thorough test.

The ebay app was the first I noticed the phantom tap behaviour in. I installed Sky Sports News app a few days later and immediately noticed it in that too. The Sky Sports News app is actually much worse then the ebay app. Within seconds of opening it I'll get a phantom tap. Ebay app is official version 1.5.0.12.

The interesting thing about the Extras & Info app being missing from my phone is that I think I'm right in thinking that an update to this app was originally supposed to have fixed the swipe/tap bug. I'm now wondering if the absence of Extras on my phone is the reason why the uninstall approach has been largely successful in my case but reportedly not in others.

Got the sky sports app and had one touch/swipe over 10-15 minutes. Tried sky news and had 2 in five minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786