Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Hmm, in my case it's definitely the apps causing it. I only have the Sky News apps installs as I don't have a Sky subscription. It appears the News apps are causing phantom taps in the same manner on your phone too then if you had 2 in 5 minutes?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Swipe/tap bug going bonkers for me this afternoon. It had been slightly improved after the last update. Today it's at least as bad as it's ever been. I'm not doing anything different with the phone that I'm aware of.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Still having the Swipe/tap bug after the update. I actually had better battery before the update, now my battery drains even when i have turned off background active on the main apps i'm using (nexget reader and IE).

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Hi, got my 1520 yesterday. So far no problems but this loose Camera button.
Other buttons (power & vol) looks fine and firm/solid.
I hold my phone with my right hand and very often touch the camera button accidentally (it makes this annoying sound).
Is this a defect or normal? Anybody has this same problem?

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Today i noticed that my camera button feels very loose, not broken but still loose. The other 2 buttons are much more solid with a good click but not the camera button. Its more moshy. I read on a few other sites where others have the same issue like:
Nokia Lumia 1520 Written Review | PhoneDog

Is this very common or just bad luck with the phone? not sure if i should get a replacement or what??? what do u think ?

happens to me also. Does it rattle/make sound when you slightly tap it with your finger? I dunno if I need replacement or should I accept it if its normally loose? Since I don't have other defects mentioned in the forum, I assume my 1520 is solid one (except very slight/rarely swipe/tap case).

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Hi, got my 1520 yesterday. So far no problems but this loose Camera button.
Other buttons (power & vol) looks fine and firm/solid.
I hold my phone with my right hand and very often touch the camera button accidentally (it makes this annoying sound).
Is this a defect or normal? Anybody has this same problem?

It is not a fault, it is the focus. When you press the camera button the first click is the focus and the second click takes the photo. The first click has to be easy/light because if you had to use too much force to press it it would be very hard to distinguish between the focus and photo click.

It's odd that you read and quoted the post by Vampyrem where he thought the same but didn't read my post that was under it explaining the reason for the double click.

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

It is not a fault, it is the focus. When you press the camera button the first click is the focus and the second click takes the photo. The first click has to be easy/light because if you had to use too much force to press it it would be very hard to distinguish between the focus and photo click.

It's odd that you read and quoted the post by Vampyrem where he thought the same but didn't read my post that was under it explaining the reason for the double click.

From what you said, I believe you also have the same loose cam button?
About 2step cam button; I switched from a Sony device that also has this mechanism. Sony did it pretty solid and no rattle/loose. If it is really not a fault for 1520, I assume it's just a (rather) poor build quality from Nokia (if all 1520s out there also have loose/rattle cam button). And I have to live a happy life with it.

Thanx much, man. I feel much better already about my 1520 �� Although I'm still hoping from more users that have similar case to validate this issue.

Yup, it's odd because actually I just read your post an hour ago :) I remember when I read&quoted Vampyrem, my browser didn't show any posts under it (I believe my WiFi was interrupted temporarily).

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

About 2step cam button; I switched from a Sony device that also has this mechanism. Sony did it pretty solid and no rattle/loose. If it is really not a fault for 1520, I assume it's just a (rather) poor build quality from Nokia (if all 1520s out there also have loose/rattle cam button). And I have to live a happy life with it.

Thanx much, man. I feel much better already about my 1520 �� Although I'm still hoping from more users that have similar case to validate this issue.

Yup, it's odd because actually I just read your post an hour ago :) I remember when I read"ed Vampyrem, my browser didn't show any posts under it (I believe my WiFi was interrupted temporarily).

Poor build quality, really? I also had Sony phones, Z, Z1 ands Z ultra and I find the camera button much easier to use on the Nokia phones. How can you call something poor quality if it has been designed that was? I suppose if your looking for something to complain about you could see it that way.

That reminds me anyone see fawzib lately?

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Poor build quality, really? I also had Sony phones, Z, Z1 ands Z ultra and I find the camera button much easier to use on the Nokia phones. How can you call something poor quality if it has been designed that was? I suppose if your looking for something to complain about you could see it that way.

That reminds me anyone see fawzib lately?

No offense, man. I really love my beautiful 1520 and care enough to find out if Nokia did their best in their design; I hope it's not a manufacturing fault (and it will be an ultimate relieve)
For me, I'm gladly accept the loose button as it is, IF it's actually a Design decision from Nokia until it proves otherwise. IMHO, for such premium and lovely device as 1520, Nokia can do better (for the future device at least). I believe they can find a way to make the button ideally solid yet still easy to operate.

In that case, Sony designed their cam-buttons firmer for solid feel and (I agree in your point that) its a bit tricky to learn/operate. Nokia designed theirs loose (enough) so it's easier to operate.

afaik, 1520's Cam-Button "Poor Quality vs By Design" topic is still an open discussion until any further review from more users and/or confirmation from Nokia.
Tomorrow I'm gonna visit 2 or 3 Nokia centers to take a look at 1520s they have for comparison and consult them about this. Let's find out :)

Thanks.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Yup, it's odd because actually I just read your post an hour ago :) I remember when I read"ed Vampyrem, my browser didn't show any posts under it (I believe my WiFi was interrupted temporarily).

Overall i must say the quality is pretty darn good but the camera button is a bit too loose in my opinion so yes i have it too. My friend got his 2 weeks ago and his phone is almost as mine even if his button is just a bit more solid. I think this is as you say a bit of a miss in their design. What bugs me is that when i hold the phone i get to hit the button several times and it clicks (focus i guess). But overall i'm really satisfied with the phone so i'm keeping mine for sure. Just hope Nokia fixes the scroll/tap bug, its really annoying.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No offense, man. I really love my beautiful 1520 and care enough to find out if Nokia did their best in their design; I hope it's not a manufacturing fault (and it will be an ultimate relieve)
For me, I'm gladly accept the loose button as it is, IF it's actually a Design decision from Nokia until it proves otherwise. IMHO, for such premium and lovely device as 1520, Nokia can do better (for the future device at least). I believe they can find a way to make the button ideally solid yet still easy to operate.

In that case, Sony designed their cam-buttons firmer for solid feel and (I agree in your point that) its a bit tricky to learn/operate. Nokia designed theirs loose (enough) so it's easier to operate.

afaik, 1520's Cam-Button "Poor Quality vs By Design" topic is still an open discussion until any further review from more users and/or confirmation from Nokia.
Tomorrow I'm gonna visit 2 or 3 Nokia centers to take a look at 1520s they have for comparison and consult them about this. Let's find out :)

Thanks.

Right well I think that your phone may well be different to mine then.

If you hold your phone in one hand and tap the back of it with the other does it rattle at all? Mine doesn't rattle at all, not a sound. If your phone does rattle then it is a problem but if it doesn't then it is design.

I don't mean shake the phone by the way because if you shake the phone it will rattle because of the things in the camera.

mirzafida

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Dear 1520 Lovers,

I've got a factory defects. I never realize this problem if i don't change the background theme into white. I found a white dot (bright dot) on white background in the middle of my screen. I try to take a screenshot, but the white dot didn't appear on screenshot. The white dot will be gone if covered by tile or covered by colored background. what should I do?

*I'm already updated to 8.1 with Developer Preview, it's that will void the warranty if I take to Nokia Care?

Thanks^^

Last edited:

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Dear 1520 Lovers,

I've got a factory defects. I never realize this problem if i don't change the background theme into white. I found a white dot (bright dot) on white background in the middle of my screen. I try to take a screenshot, but the white dot didn't appear on screenshot. The white dot will be gone if covered by tile or covered by colored background. what should I do?

*I'm already updated to 8.1 with Developer Preview, it's that will void the warranty if I take to Nokia Care?

Thanks^^

Return it to Nokia. It is a screen fault, sometimes called "light bleed". If you mention this in the fault report they will replace the panel.

I returned mine for repair for a similar problem. Mine also had WP8.1 installed but they fixed it anyway (in the UK). They did re-flash it back to WP8 though. If you're worried I've read that you can return the phone to WP8 yourself using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. Not tried it myself though.

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Right well I think that your phone may well be different to mine then.

If you hold your phone in one hand and tap the back of it with the other does it rattle at all? Mine doesn't rattle at all, not a sound. If your phone does rattle then it is a problem but if it doesn't then it is design.

I don't mean shake the phone by the way because if you shake the phone it will rattle because of the things in the camera.

I did what you suggested. No rattle and happy. :)
I guess I'm gonna take it slow, and not yet rushing to Nokia Care (maybe in the weekend) or maybe not.. since my relationship w/ my 1520 is getting stronger, I feel like I dont wanna replace it with other unit LOL)
FYI, My Lumia is 1520.1 (just in case if there are difference build vith other version)

Thanks man.

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Dear 1520 Lovers,

Thanks^^

Is it a very small bright dot? Maybe its a dead pixel. If so, its Definitely a fault. Hurry to Nokia Care.
From what I see, Its a hardware fault and it has nothing to do with Software/OS. Nokia still has to replace/fix it.

Michael Shaw

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the touch sensitivity issues like many of you, but I can deal with that. My biggest issue, which I haven't seen mentioned, is lag. This phone has a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram right? So why am I experiencing a lot more lag on this device than I ever did on my 920, which had half the processing abilities? I experience it on the home screen and in apps. More than once, when I unlock my phone, it pops up the "resuming screen." Thinking I left an app open, I enter the multitasking screen to shut it down, and discover that it's the start that's resuming. I've never seen that happen on another Windows Phone. It has trouble running games too. Games like N.O.V.A. and Modern Combat aren't the only games that lag either, the phone often has trouble running Subway Surfers. It's starting to really **** me off that this phone lags so much. Any ideas on a fix?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the touch sensitivity issues like many of you, but I can deal with that. My biggest issue, which I haven't seen mentioned, is lag. This phone has a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram right? So why am I experiencing a lot more lag on this device than I ever did on my 920, which had half the processing abilities? I experience it on the home screen and in apps. More than once, when I unlock my phone, it pops up the "resuming screen." Thinking I left an app open, I enter the multitasking screen to shut it down, and discover that it's the start that's resuming. I've never seen that happen on another Windows Phone. It has trouble running games too. Games like N.O.V.A. and Modern Combat aren't the only games that lag either, the phone often has trouble running Subway Surfers. It's starting to really **** me off that this phone lags so much. Any ideas on a fix?

Don't install on SD card. I'm guessing your problem is the same as mine was.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately I don't even have an SD card in my phone yet

How much memory do you have left,

how many background tasks,

do you have cortana pinned (sometimes causes stuttery animation coming to or going from Home screen)

Have you tried uninstalling Nokia specific settings at any time? (my phone became unstable after doing that)

There are other things, but ill start with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss