Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

woutwout

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Touch issue has gotten better with recent updates but hasn't been solved. If the issue pops up again I restart the 1520 and it is almost gone (for a while)

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Has anyone gotten the ripple affect when touching the screen?

Sometimes when I tap harder than usual. I think it was caused by 1520 slim body against the extruding camera, since ripple area is usually at the front side right where the camera is. Its more noticeable when you put your phone on the table then tapping the screen.

augusto dibo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I thought it was a firmware issue on my RM-937 White model, since I had it working fine for months after the problems started. By reading the above posts I saw the one which describes the problems seemed to do with the cover utilized. Then I noticed my issues indeed have started after I began to use a phone cover, the one that I describe in this post: Best 1520 wallet/recommendations?.

I decided to remove my phone out of the cover and for the first time I realized that while touching the upper left edge of the phone it started to behave as I was pressing the Back soft button. And sometimes it also behaves as if I had pressed the Bing search soft button. I have searched on the WPCentral forums and found several users had the same issue.

I am an electrical engineer and I have decided to open the phone and take a look since this the root cause seemed to be a hardware issue. This tutorial helped me to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2olFpWvB8

But be warned, this is not for the faint of the heart. Extremely care must be taken and I do not recommed going through this if you do not have the experience. And I have just did this because I have bought my phone in US while on vacation and it was ordered from Amazon, it is an APAC phone. In other words, no warranty in my country and no local Nokia Technical support is available.

I have just found the Nokia Lumia 1520 Service Manual on the web, which gives many more details for those interested in the guts of the phone:

http://ifixit-documents.s3.amazonaws...hSheUIDUka.pdf.

And the following is an ebay link to buying the board (also called Logic Board):

At T Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone Replacement 16GB Logic Board Motherboard | eBay.

The board is described by the Service Manual as the Light Swap Package.

Well, if you look the tutorial there is the so called Engine Board. On top of that there is the main processor, which is covered by an aluminum cover, which is soldered to the main board. With the phone turned on, every time I have pressed on this cover or the very near surrounding areas I realized the Bing search popped up and the other soft buttons also behaved as if they were pressed. This board is placed over an aluminum frame and I saw that under the board there were several surface mounted components that could possibly touch the frame when the board is pressed. This is not designed to happen, but it could. If you start to press the board continuously while the phone is on, you will notice that the main processor heats a lot. This may or may not be a normal behavior, but I also saw several comments on the forums about overheating on this region of the phone. Anyway, I have decided to place a thin strips of 3M electrical tape under the board, to act as insulators and cushions, at the same time. Assembled everything and realized that the issues have gone, so far. There are no more Back/Search soft buttons issues when I press on the upper left edge of the phone. I have placed it back to the cover and it is behaving normally. However, the problem can also be related with bad soldering of the main processor. If this is the case, the problem may reapear anytime, and the root cause may just be the overheating, which is not properly being dissipated by the aluminum frame. This would lead to unreliable connection on the processor terminals, which could be triggered by the pressing action. Anyway, time will tell. So, the real fix would be replacing the Engine Board, not the Display assembly, as many thinks.

I am free of the following problems:

. Bing Search popping up
. Screen freezing
. Soft buttons not working
. Soft buttons activating randomly
. Screen shaking up and down
. Screen resizing like zooming in when going to type password on lock screen
. VGA color on lock screen
. Password undesired multiple taps on lock screen
. Phantom taps
. High Battery consumption
. SD card reading issue after a soft boot
. Reboot when shutting down
. Screen stuttering

Before the fix there was not a single hour that I did not had one or more of the above annoying problems. It's been a week now and I did not had any issue at all.

I am using Win 8.1, Glance, Double Tap to Wake, Cortana pinned to home screen and all the goodies.

Please, if anyone is willing to fix their phone, then let us know of the results.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

The screen issue has been fixed with the recent Glance, Touch etc updates. Only happens in a few apps, like WP Central. It's an app problem on the affected ones....
I am also noticing it is an app problem some apps it never happens other apps it happens constantly.

Giants7330

May 22, 2014
Visit site

I just purchased a new yellow 1520 and I could not get it activated. I was on the phone with tech support for 2 hours and they told me that a tower was down. There was no tower down. I went to an AT&T store and they still couldn't activate it. Now I have to call to get another one.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I wrote a while back that my theory regarding the screen sensitivity issue is that the problems lies with how the SD 800 processor interacts with certain parts of the hardware. I could be totally wrong, but as mentioned, there are other devices that have some touch issues that use that same processor. I think the fact that Nokia/Microsoft are looking to replace it with a SD 801 (Lumia 1525) lends possible credence to the theory.

AlexFirth91

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Having issues with my camera. Worked fine, 2 hours later, every pic is blurry :(. Idk what it is, I deleted Nokia Camera twice.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Wow this thread is useless. Where are the real problems, like Bluetooth pairing and the wifi stops connection to nertworks until a restart?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

But how can it be a software error in the non-international versions and a hardware error in the international version?
i ve see this problem a few times. If you just wait a couple of seconds it fixes itself too. I have a rm-937

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site

So I'm at the point where the random swipes and general screen craziness is a daily thing. In fact I can't use the phone at all without it doing something requiring me to hit the side screen off button off and on. I'm on 8.1 but this was happening before this; it's just happening more now. Sometimes the screen becomes totally unresponsive once I wake it up and I have to do it multiple times. Is this an issue that the new firmware will resolve or am I going to have to send the phone in to get it fixed? I can't use it like this and am going to have to go back to my older 920 because it's constant. Really like the larger screen but can't deal with it not working right.

edit:

Here's a video of someone who is having the same issue. Mine does the same kind of stuff pretty much every time I use it.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

So I'm at the point where the random swipes and general screen craziness is a daily thing. In fact I can't use the phone at all without it doing something requiring me to hit the side screen off button off and on. I'm on 8.1 but this was happening before this; it's just happening more now. Sometimes the screen becomes totally unresponsive once I wake it up and I have to do it multiple times. Is this an issue that the new firmware will resolve or am I going to have to send the phone in to get it fixed? I can't use it like this and am going to have to go back to my older 920 because it's constant. Really like the larger screen but can't deal with it not working right.

edit:

Here's a video of someone who is having the same issue. Mine does the same kind of stuff pretty much every time I use it.

Your phone needs an exorcism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augusto dibo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

edit:

Hi pw38, please try this and tell me the results: unlock place your phone on the table and press not too hard on the upper left region of the screen border. If the screen craziness happens then you have the same problem that I had. Please read my comments on a few posts back and see if you can solve your issues. I have fixed mine and are now two weeks free of any of the issues that I have described, some of which were same as yours. Good luck!

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

I got a really annoying bug.
Sometimes my phone thinks I push the camera button and launches it.

I'm using wp8.1 in German.

zain1986

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

I have a weird issue with my 1520. If u hold the phone from all corners and apply a little pressure the phone becomes unresponsive and different pages pop up mostly that bing search page. Then i have to lock the device and unlock again with power button to make it work again. This mostly happens when i hold it in landscape mode but can also occur somtimes while holding it vertically if i apply pressure on both the sides near the camera button. Is any one else facing this issue?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I got a really annoying bug.
Sometimes my phone thinks I push the camera button and launches it.

I'm using wp8.1 in German.

That's a pretty common bug, but there is a very simple solution.

Just stop hitting the camera button by accident.... :evil:

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Search button launching Bing search without being touched (Hard reset fixed this for some)
This suddenly started happening Monday (14th). Also ghost would be typing while I would try to create a text and similiar ghost taps issues. Running Black with current WP8. Unfortunately I cannot recall what app updates were recently installed. Monday evening I did a factory reset and a WP restore (backup was about one day old). Problem was unchanged. So on Tuesday I called AT&T and they are sending me a warranty replacement phone.

Now it gets interesting. Tuesday evening WP Store suddenly decides I have 28 updates! I let those install and the problem goes away! As of Wednesday afternoon everything is still good. So I'll be refusing the package from AT&T.

It looks like some app (Touch?) had a bug, but I cannot pin it on a particular app because I don't know what update immediately proceeded the problems. Is there an update history somewhere in the Matrix? May I try that blue pill again please?

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Good thing I didn't exhale (or refuse the yet to be delivered warranty replacement phone). Yesterday (Thursday) the problem reappeared.

So is this hardware or software? If hardware, why did the hard reset cure the problem (temporarily)? If software, how to identify the troublemaker(s)? Next report, in a few days, will be if the replacement phone has the same problem or not. If yes, then I'll try loading apps one by one (ugh), including Nokia system app updates like Touch, etc.

Jillxz

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I deleted this post as I felt it as not an appropriate response to what this thread is about.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss