Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

NSA

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Hi All..

I recently got a Lumia 1520 (AT&T 940) in February. I upgraded from a 920. I am in the developer preview, so I updated the phone to that, and most recently got the Denim upgrade.

Ever since the Denim upgrade I've been having some really wonky things happen.

1. The mic works intermittently, but only with Cortana. It took me about 100 tries to get the test to pass, and it's been hit or miss since then. Previously Cortana worked fine, and the mic seems to work fine for everything else.

2. BIG ISSUE. Occasionally, and it seems like more frequently, the top and top left of my phone decides to turn into one big capacitive button.

What does this mean? Well...

The area from the top left of the phone (by the front facing camera), all the way past the Nokia logo starts to act as a "BACK"/"Search/Cortana" button. A full power off seems to fix this about 1/2 the time, but it keeps coming back. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers this, but its rather annoying.

Normally, pressing that area does nothing, and I would have figured it wouldn't have been capable of doing anything.. but low and behold.. it can. If I tap the part that's emulating the "back" button enough times, it locks up the phone for a short period. This is MOST annoying when I'm trying to check the notifications, as a "swipe down" doesn't work because the phone registers touching the top of the phone as either a "BACK" command or a "Search/Cortana" command. Frustrating.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Alessandro Dut

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site

Anyone experiencing problems with the camera button not unlocking the phone and opening Lumia camera when the phone is in horizontal position? For me the button only works if i hold the phone in vertical position... (Denim update...)

DuoWing

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Anyone experiencing problems with the camera button not unlocking the phone and opening Lumia camera when the phone is in horizontal position? For me the button only works if i hold the phone in vertical position... (Denim update...)

Several times I've noticed the camera button not launching the camera from screen off. Then I realized I had my hand too close to the proximity sensor so it was acting like it was still in my pocket

farhanmariz

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Just bought a used but mint 1520. It has the phantom touch issue. :(

But so far, it doesn't really affect the usability much. So I'm okay with it.

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

Hi all,

I have the L1520.3 and after the Denim update auto brightness is not working. If I set it on and back out it does not keep the setting.

Has anyone experience that??

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys. I just got my L1520 for about 1 month and after that time I just noticed that other L1520's are just smoother playing videos, games and scrolling. I just sent it back for QC and "It's a very rare CPU fault and we will swap it with a new one for you" they said.
I'm glad of it that this warranty is so responsible about what they sold.
I wish my next L1520 is perfect and I see no more defects :(

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Finally decided to send mine in last week, I only have two more weeks left on my warranty. The phantom tapping issue is getting worse everyday and I really can't stand it anymore. Back to my backup 920, luckily the WP backup/restore feature is super easy to use.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Nothing except heating (i didn't use phone who have stronger cpu then my pc), but let's say it's normal under medium-heavy usage.
Display not align with case, when i use more then light pressure on screen i feel how he bends and see circles like touching led monitor.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty pissed off now that I got the phone back with Microsoft saying its not covered by warranty in the US because it's not designed for the US market. Even though when I check the Lumia warranty check site it shows "In Warranty in the US" and I was able to file for RMA without any issues.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site

I'm pretty pissed off now that I got the phone back with Microsoft saying its not covered by warranty in the US because it's not designed for the US market. Even though when I check the Lumia warranty check site it shows "In Warranty in the US" and I was able to file for RMA without any issues.
And your phone is a what? I have a 1520.3 (RM-938).

Hedhli_Wael

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

i have the same problem here plus when i tap on the top of the screen the capacitive butons works , for example the bing seach starts .
is it a hardware issue or what ?

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

i have the same problem here plus when i tap on the top of the screen the capacitive butons works , for example the bing seach starts .
is it a hardware issue or what ?
Yeah that's the hardware issue caused by the screen being flexed, you either live with it or get the screen replaced, I suggest you do that if you are still in warranty.

AgroUrban

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Haven't found topic about this, so I will ask here. After I did Denim update on my 1520, my music and video stop after few seconds when I am on my headsets. Headsets works on PC and other phones but not on mine. I've found out that some people have also same problem, but no one knows the answer. Any thoughts? :(

Melissa Olszewski

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

has anyone had a problem with the device hub not installing properly? i've had my 1520 since december and the 80004004 install error began to happen sometime this year. i've looked everywhere and posted to a few different places with no luck on whats wrong :(

ajwalker

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site

I got a used one in great condition as well. At first, I thought that phantom touch issue was me, no, it's the phone. And mine is getting worse. It went from 10%, 25% to now what feels like 50% of the time for these touch issues. It's bugging me so much I'm seriously thinking of switching to the 640XL. I've yet to read any good work around to get it working correctly.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I got a used one in great condition as well. At first, I thought that phantom touch issue was me, no, it's the phone. And mine is getting worse. It went from 10%, 25% to now what feels like 50% of the time for these touch issues. It's bugging me so much I'm seriously thinking of switching to the 640XL. I've yet to read any good work around to get it working correctly.

Still my only complaint with the phone.

Jefe32

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. I have had my phone since late December 2013. I pretty much holding out for that rumored phone that will have the Qualcomm 808 chip in it, which will probably be towards the end of this year.

Laco82

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi, my lumia 1520 camera cause a problem when taking pictures or recording video in some probably light conditions. So very often is on the screen very tin line in the middle of the screen from the top to the bottom (when landscape) or from left edge to the right edge (when vertically). It's visible before capturing, but also on saved pictures. Is possible to send the phone for warranty repair if I have no proof of first purchase? Thanks.
Please zoom the picture and the line will be clearly visible.
WP_20150723_17_36_49_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited:

Green Samot

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

My experience of sending phones off for warranty is that proof of purchase isn't needed, it just needs to be in warranty. Did this with a 925 I bought off ebay and my 1520. No questions were asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel