04-17-2014 01:27 PM
71 123
tools
    32 is a better number for sure. I had the L925 before this phone. I loaded it will a lot of apps. I never had a memory issue and that device only has 16gb. Lets say you have 10gb left on your device that's 10,240 Mb. Most apps are 1mb most games are 2mb. That mean you can load 5120 games or 10,240 apps assuming the average sizes. How long would it take you to play 5120 games assuming you played each game for 15 minutes? It would take you 76,800 minutes thats 53 days assuming you played 24 hours a day, just to play each game once. I think if you look hard at it. 16gb isn't that bad. The only thing that really takes up a lot of space is meltimedia. If you put all of that on a 64gb card you should be good to go unless you play games 24 hours a day for 53 days at a time... IJS
    Bjfcm and snowmutt like this.
    11-26-2013 09:29 AM
    The same here, I got mine yesterday and after installing all my apps I had only 4 GB left. I have a 32 GB micro SD card, but it does not help with the apps. I am thinking to return it, swallow 35 restocking fee, and wait the 32GB version. I do not understand ATT mentality.
    I got mine Friday and while I love the phone, I am returning mine and will wait for the 32GB version. Having 32GB on my 920, I never realized how fast I ate through storage until I only had 16GB.
    11-26-2013 09:31 AM
    Nokia can launch a variant of each flagship phone on Verizon, equipped with all the bells and whistles. That way WP supporters can get top of the line devices and at&t should not have a problem since they had the first opportunity to carry the high end model.
    11-26-2013 09:43 AM
    32 is a better number for sure. I had the L925 before this phone. I loaded it will a lot of apps. I never had a memory issue and that device only has 16gb. Lets say you have 10gb left on your device that's 10,240 Mb. Most apps are 1mb most games are 2mb. That mean you can load 5120 games or 10,240 apps assuming the average sizes. How long would it take you to play 5120 games assuming you played each game for 15 minutes? It would take you 76,800 minutes thats 53 days assuming you played 24 hours a day, just to play each game once. I think if you look hard at it. 16gb isn't that bad. The only thing that really takes up a lot of space is meltimedia. If you put all of that on a 64gb card you should be good to go unless you play games 24 hours a day for 53 days at a time... IJS
    Download Halo, 3-4 Gameloft games, 2 Square Enix games, and a few others and you just ate through 7-8GB. Download some maps, that's another 2-4GB. Add in 1GB for random apps. You've just used almost all the storage available. It's great if people can get by with 16GB but peoples usage/habits vary. I for one definitely need the extra storage.

I bought the 1520 to see if I could get by with 16GB but it's not feasible for me so I am returning it and will wait for the 32GB version or an 8.1 device.
    snowmutt, lerimer and eutonl like this.
    11-26-2013 09:44 AM
    The other big thing that you can't put on the SD card is app data (Isolated Storage), aka "Other" storage.

For most apps, this probably isn't a huge issue, or at least no more huge than we've already experienced with "Other," but my main use for my 521 (second phone) is as an audio book player, via the Audible app. Every book that you download goes into the app storage/isolated storage/other, and cannot go to the SD card.

I'd like to be able to download the dozen or so books that I haven't listened to yet, but on an 8GB device, this is a complete no-go, even with a 64GB SD card plugged into it.

16GB improves this situation very little.
    11-26-2013 09:51 AM
    You realize 1gb = 1024 mb

Top three free games:

My Talking Tom = 27mb

Pinball Star =10mb

Star Wars Tiny Death Star =59mb

That's 96mb, you can load all those games 10 times before you reach 1-gb

I am not trying to tell you what to do. If you want 32 get the 32. I am just trying to add some perspective here. What gameloft games are you installing that take up 7-8 GB?
    Bjfcm and Editguy1900 like this.
    11-26-2013 09:56 AM
    You realize 1gb = 1024 mb

Top three free games:

My Talking Tom = 27mb

Pinball Star =10mb

Star Wars Tiny Death Star =59mb

That's 96mb, you can load all those games 10 times before you reach 1-gb

I am not trying to tell you what to do. If you want 32 get the 32. I am just trying to add some perspective here. What gameloft games are you installing that take up 7-8 GB?
    Yes, I know how much a GB is. And I don't play any of those games you mentioned.

I never said Gameloft games take up 7-8GB. I said those and some others: Halo, Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3, Order & Chaos, Asphalt 7 - those alone are ~7GB. Add in some others and it eats it up fairly quickly. Now add offline maps and other apps and you are reaching capacity.

I understand your perspective, I was just trying to point out that people that are gamers or app heavy could easily use up all their storage.
    Last edited by kbilly70; 11-26-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typed maps instead of apps
    11-26-2013 10:11 AM
    Yes, I know how much a GB is. And I don't play any of those games you mentioned.

I never said Gameloft games take up 7-8GB. I said those and some others: Halo, Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3, Order & Chaos, Asphalt 7 - those alone are ~7GB. Add in some others and it eats it up fairly quickly. Now add offline maps and other maps and you are reaching capacity.

I understand your perspective, I was just trying to point out that people that are gamers or app heavy could easily use up all their storage.
    Fare enough I can agee with that. I think just a little memory management could make 16gb sufficient for most people. All I am really trying to do here is add some perspective. If you don't care to have to memory manage wait for the 32gb devices to release. For me 16gb will be fine. I want my L1520 now I won't give it up for something that is a non issue for me.
    11-26-2013 10:18 AM
    As previously noted, with the Beta version of Lumia Storage Check, you have the option of forcing downloaded maps to the SD card.

At least for the Windows Phone native mapping apps and the Nokia mapping apps. If you're using Garmin, it still goes to the non-SD storage, I believe.
    kbilly70 likes this.
    11-26-2013 10:21 AM
    Fare enough I can agee with that. I think just a little memory management could make 16gb sufficient for most people. All I am really trying to do here is add some perspective. If you don't care to have to memory manage wait for the 32gb devices to release. For me 16gb will be fine. I want my L1520 now I won't give it up for something that is a non issue for me.
    Yeah, I think the 16GB will be fine for many users. It really will be hard to go back to my 920. I've picked it up a few times since getting the 1520 and it's just seems dinky.
    11-26-2013 10:22 AM
    As previously noted, with the Beta version of Lumia Storage Check, you have the option of forcing downloaded maps to the SD card.

At least for the Windows Phone native mapping apps and the Nokia mapping apps. If you're using Garmin, it still goes to the non-SD storage, I believe.
    Ah, thanks for that. I didn't realize that you could do that.
    11-26-2013 10:23 AM
    Having just come back from the AT&T store, the 1520 they had was an amazing device. But, I had kinda promised myself to wait on a 32GB device. Then I really looked at my L900 storage:

I have 1.8 GB left of space, and almost none of it is apps. It is all music and podcasts, so maybe I need to come off of the high horse. I would not pay $200.00 for a 16GB device, but at $100.00, this may work.

However, this huge of a device is obviously aimed at Gamers, and 16 GB of app space when that is your market is a strange decision. @kbilly70's arguments above are legit.
    Meredith43 likes this.
    11-26-2013 10:54 AM
    When you pay for some of the bigger games, you tend to want to keep them on the device. Otherwise, you lose game saves.

If you mainly want to use the 1520 for games, the 16GB doesn't make much sense.

But if you just play a casual game here and there, and make sure to offload video to your PC every once in a while, then 16GB may be okay.

I know that on my 920 I have sometimes come near filling my memory. So it does require a little memory management with 32GB. It would be so much more with only half that storage space. Especially with the higher resolution camera on the 1520.

It may sound ridiculous to some, but I wish there was a 64 GB version!
    kbilly70 likes this.
    11-26-2013 11:37 AM
    it s a no-go... Placing the app in the SD card will just tell the phone that the app is there and the phone will then transfer it to its internal storage...

Not true. The xap remains on the SD and is extracted to local storage, which cuts the space requirements to install something in half.
    11-26-2013 11:43 AM
    When you pay for some of the bigger games, you tend to want to keep them on the device. Otherwise, you lose game saves.

If you mainly want to use the 1520 for games, the 16GB doesn't make much sense.

But if you just play a casual game here and there, and make sure to offload video to your PC every once in a while, then 16GB may be okay.

I know that on my 920 I have sometimes come near filling my memory. So it does require a little memory management with 32GB. It would be so much more with only half that storage space. Especially with the higher resolution camera on the 1520.

The apps i can understand but once I popped my SD card in the phone I was good to go with pictures.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-26-2013 12:05 PM
    Not ridiculous to me! I would happily pay for the increased storage.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-26-2013 12:09 PM
    Storage Check under Settings.
    OH WOW! That's easy to use lol. Definitely noob to wp8 :/
    11-26-2013 12:28 PM
    Not true. The xap remains on the SD and is extracted to local storage, which cuts the space requirements to install something in half.

the post is not about space for install. Its about space for storage. :)

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk
    11-26-2013 12:29 PM
    the post is not about space for install. Its about space for storage. :)

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk
    Correct, but it does have bearing on the discussion since you will be denied the ability to install an app if you're running too low on space. Having it on the MicroSD first to deploy it could help people overcome that issue. So it's still welcome information...at least in my opinion, but this is your thread after all so I will defer. :)

Edit: Fixed the weird issue with it posting what I typed in the middle of the quote.
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 11-26-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting so it separated my post from the quoted post.
    11-26-2013 12:36 PM
    I was going to wait for the 32 GB version to be released by AT&T until I realized all my apps took up 4.69 GB of storage. Music and videos takes up the greatest amount of my storage. I am going to use the $50 prize credit from my WP Central Halloween contest win to buy a SD card.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    11-26-2013 12:44 PM
    The other big thing that you can't put on the SD card is app data (Isolated Storage), aka "Other" storage.

For most apps, this probably isn't a huge issue, or at least no more huge than we've already experienced with "Other," but my main use for my 521 (second phone) is as an audio book player, via the Audible app. Every book that you download goes into the app storage/isolated storage/other, and cannot go to the SD card.

I'd like to be able to download the dozen or so books that I haven't listened to yet, but on an 8GB device, this is a complete no-go, even with a 64GB SD card plugged into it.

16GB improves this situation very little.
    THANK YOU! I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck the 4GB of "other" is on my storage chart. It's Audible! I am an avid listener and currently have several titles stored on my phone. Mystery solved. But this is concerning as I am down-sizing from 32GB on my 920 to 16GB on my Unicorn Yellow 1520.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-26-2013 01:38 PM
    Um, I think had they not cut down the specs they did, it wouldn't be priced at the way it is
    Got a winner right here folks. You all demand top of line specs and expect it to cost next to nothing. There has to be some give and take somewhere. I look for there to be a "Come to Jesus" change in the way carriers sell devices.
    11-26-2013 02:08 PM
    Got a winner right here folks. You all demand top of line specs and expect it to cost next to nothing. There has to be some give and take somewhere. I look for there to be a "Come to Jesus" change in the way carriers sell devices.
    The $99 offer was the only thing that made me seriously consider getting a new device. It's a magical marketing sum that nearly always works. I'll be the first to admit I am a sucker for that just under 100 mark. Granted, the 1020 and 1520 are worth $200 each on their own merits, but I wouldn't have used a contract upgrade slot to replace my near perfect 920 unless the $99 ploy was in play. It allowed me to keep the safety net 920 AND get a new toy with no worries, instead of selling the 920 right away and hoping I made a good decision.
    11-26-2013 03:01 PM
    I think people expected it to have the same features and similar pricing to what was announced.

I think that everyone that is hesitant about the lack of storage space would be more than willing to pay more for the real true version of the phone. The one that gets sold internationally.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-26-2013 03:03 PM
    I love the device. Its probably the best windows phone I've ever had. Just one thing wrong with the device. The 16gb that AT&T has up us with. The OS its self is 4.2gb big. We need Microsoft allow apps to be installed on the SD cards. I hope that 8.1 has the option to install apps to SD cards.
    The reason they don't allow it is because it would give the illusion that apps perform slowly and rubbishly because sd cards aren't as fast as the built in memory. Yes you might get a really fast memory card but someone else somewhere will get a really cheap ultra slow one and then will bad mouth Windows Phone because the apps will run slowly
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-26-2013 06:31 PM
71 123