Opinions as an audio device.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Got to handle the L1520 yesterday.... sweet mother of heaven, this is a big phone. I love everything about it- especially the third row of tiles- but the size is a slight cause for hesitation as I knew it would be. I am over the 16 GB memory whining- as a music/podcast user, the vast majority of my memory usage can go on the SD card. I am fine with the 16 GBs for my uses.

The size issue is one thing I need to decide if I can survive with before I decide to use my upgrade on this. Also, my family and I are debating on if staying on AT&T is in our best interest. Which leaves one last box I need to check off, and one I need help with. How is the audio performance on this bad, bad device? I fully expect it to be up to Nokia standards, but I want to be sure. As everyone uses their devices, can you tell me how it is as a music player (very important) and on phone calls ( I use my phone all the time at work).

Never been this wishy-washy on a device before....

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fairly picky person when it comes to audio quality since I've worked in audio engineering and as a DJ in my younger years.

I've found the Lumia devices (including the 1520) to be really great as far as sound quality goes. I would say that they honestly rival if not exceed the quality of the Zune HD, which has an awesome Wolfson chip in it.

I also appreciate that the 1520 has the customizable EQ on it so that I can tweak things if need be.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I trust reviews as far as general opinions go, but everyday use by owners is way more reliable to me as far as audio performance. These reviews are put out as quickly as possible, and I am interested in use over the time. I trust WPC users more on this.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fairly picky person when it comes to audio quality since I've worked in audio engineering and as a DJ in my younger years.

I've found the Lumia devices (including the 1520) to be really great as far as sound quality goes. I would say that they honestly rival if not exceed the quality of the Zune HD, which has an awesome Wolfson chip in it.

I also appreciate that the 1520 has the customizable EQ on it so that I can tweak things if need be.

I was disappointed with the audio quality in the 920, not loud enough coming out of my beyerdynamic COP. I had to use an amplifier to get the sound to my liking?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I was disappointed with the audio quality in the 920, not loud enough coming out of my beyerdynamic COP. I had to use an amplifier to get the sound to my liking?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

That's odd. I've owned a 900 and a 1520 and the sound on both with non-amplified headphones was fine. Then again I use high-end IEM style earphones that block pretty much all exterior sound due to the awesome seal I get from them so more of the sound is directed straight in. I will say the 1520 is better than the 900 in that regard. I haven't owned a 920 so I wouldn't know for sure how the sound on that handset would be.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

<snip>

Does the 'Lumia devices' in your statement include the 610, 920, and 925?

ps:

You just confirmed you have not heard a 920...

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the sound on my 1520 is a little low, what do I have to do to get it louder on my headphones?

Buy a more efficient headphone, and mind you sensitivity specs is just one thing. So you heally have to try them one by one. You wouldn't want carrying an amp would you?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's odd. I've owned a 900 and a 1520 and the sound on both with non-amplified headphones was fine. Then again I use high-end IEM style earphones that block pretty much all exterior sound due to the awesome seal I get from them so more of the sound is directed straight in. I will say the 1520 is better than the 900 in that regard. I haven't owned a 920 so I wouldn't know for sure how the sound on that handset would be.
Will you share what is your high-end IEM?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Will you share what is your high-end IEM?
They don't make them anymore unfortunately. The IEM's I was referring to were the original Zune Premium's. I made sure to stock up on several pairs when they were originally being discontinued.

I've owned owned some of the higher end ($500 and up) stuff from JH Audio, Sennheiser, Shure, etc...but in all honesty the Zune Premium's to me seem to hit the right sound at least for me.

I've found that due to differences in the way people hear things (difference in the structure of the ear...damage that occurs from various occupations) that it's a very personal thing when getting IEM's or a set of cans to listen to.

To address what you said earlier about the 920. I have used one briefly in a store and did get permission to test my set on them...but it was only for a couple minutes so I didn't want to draw any conclusions.

My daily drivers that I can speak with any certain on is the 900 and 1520.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No problem :)

BTW make sure they are the V1's. The V2 Premiums weren't quite right. Normally they will have them listed as V1 or V2 when you look for them. The V2's have the cloth cord with yellow spots on the cord. The V1's have a rubber cord and are a dark grey all around.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I really wish Nokia would amplify their headphone jacks like hTC is doing ......the 920 is a bit underwhelming in the loudness department for me.

cmore675

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
They don't make them anymore unfortunately. The IEM's I was referring to were the original Zune Premium's. I made sure to stock up on several pairs when they were originally being discontinued.

I've owned owned some of the higher end ($500 and up) stuff from JH Audio, Sennheiser, Shure, etc...but in all honesty the Zune Premium's to me seem to hit the right sound at least for me.

I've found that due to differences in the way people hear things (difference in the structure of the ear...damage that occurs from various occupations) that it's a very personal thing when getting IEM's or a set of cans to listen to.

To address what you said earlier about the 920. I have used one briefly in a store and did get permission to test my set on them...but it was only for a couple minutes so I didn't want to draw any conclusions.

My daily drivers that I can speak with any certain on is the 900 and 1520.

what headphones do you speak of? Can you give a link?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait for the review from GSMarena, they have a very comprehensive audio test... so far non of the lumia phones have impressed with their audio output capabilities. I believe that the 1020 is probably the best of the bunch but gsmarena haven't tested it yet.

Currently the two best smartphones in terms of audio quality are the Samsung GS4, the Nokia 808, and pretty much all the iphones from 4s and up. The galaxy S1 and the Nokia N9 are also very good.. I think they share the same audio chip. The N8 is quite good as well.

More on what those numbers mean here: GSMArena feature labs: The tests - GSMArena.com

LTI7d4E.jpg

OMwykRY.jpg

2pxPfeY.jpg

Just look at that dynamic range on the 808 and the GS4... :love: Look at the stereo cross talk on the GS4.. that's very, very good.

The dolby headphone option on the Nokia phones makes a difference as well.. its a really nice EQ, I use it all the time.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
While I will not pretend to know what all those numbers mean- OK, I won't pretend to know what any of them mean- I appreciate the baseline. I will absolutely keep an eye on GSM Arena. Heck, have their App on my L900. And I will use this as a reference.

I appreciate it, vlad!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999